5 Ways to Prevent Flyaways
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rip mavic
lvl.1
Flight distance : 104613 ft
United Kingdom

#Quick Reply Here#Hi, lost my magic pro last night, just registered on this forum, so it won't let me start a New thread. Did everything by the book as above, controller lost signal & it never returned to home (which was 250 meters away & 40 meters up. I have searched in vain the last point we're it lost signal..... nothing
2017-9-24
Use props
ChrisMChristian
New
United States

I would add Option #6, Get and use the Spark Remote Control to improve your communications to the Spark and use the OTG cable option to simplify the communication between your smartphone and remote
2017-9-28
Use props
Biowizard
lvl.1
United Kingdom

fansf8cb6503 Posted at 2017-3-4 12:14
Agree - Nothing worse than hearing the words "ATTI Mode" and not knowing what to do!

Absolutely. My advice to anyone would be to buy a cheap toy drone (eg Walkera Ladybird), and learn to fly that first. Cheap if it crashes, and easy to repair. One day, when your valuable DJI loses GPS or Compass functionality, you will very happy you spent all that time practicing.

Brian
2017-10-1
Use props
Ken1515
New

Malaysia

Came back from Indonesia, Bandung. Had a freak out when my drone doesn't respond to my control / controller. I was flying my mavic pro over a volcano mount. Without much thought, i fly around the mount opening. As my mavic flew over a opening between 2 small mountains, wind and cloud was rushing outward, pushing my drone away. I tried to fly the drone back without vein. Freaking out and thought that was it. After several minutes, i heard drone noise high above me. Minutes later, i was able to land it. Lost signal, home point set, come home auto mode save the day.  P.S. – Do set return home attitude to as high as permitted. This will avoid any tree or obstacle around you.
2017-10-9
Use props
mpwobbly
lvl.2
Flight distance : 37500 ft
Australia

LICENSED PILOT Posted at 2017-3-22 16:23
Bet these account for 99.99% of the mysterious fly away. Once I hit RTH on my I1P and freaked out when it did a 180 and began to "fffffly away". I got my  wits about me, flicked over to ATTI and flew home. (don't know what caused it but I can't be sure I always wait for the "the home point has been located, please check it on the map." message.....Fortunately, another "mysterious fly away" chapter to the legend was avoided.

“Flicked over to Antti”? Is this possible on the Mavic Pro? Or do you mean switch to sports mode?
2017-10-10
Use props
Henrik Olsen
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2042385 ft
  • >>>
Denmark

fans6916e6f9 Posted at 2017-3-4 08:01
One of the most useful tips not mentioned is. Learn how to fly line of sight without the need of GPS.  So if something goes wrong you can manually take over and control the drone and not just blindly depend on autopilot and return to home to save you. The truth is no computer system made by any company in the world works 100% of the time so you having the skills to save your drone when technology fails is important.

Learn how to fly line of sight without the need of GPS

How would you fly without GPS outdoor with a Mavic?
2017-11-3
Use props
fans7dfb78a0
lvl.1
Flight distance : 49554 ft
Australia

fans6916e6f9 Posted at 2017-3-4 08:01
One of the most useful tips not mentioned is. Learn how to fly line of sight without the need of GPS.  So if something goes wrong you can manually take over and control the drone and not just blindly depend on autopilot and return to home to save you. The truth is no computer system made by any company in the world works 100% of the time so you having the skills to save your drone when technology fails is important.

Exactly what my tech teacher said in the 70’s.... no softwear can be 100% bedbuged...
2017-11-28
Use props
Epicdoom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 340620 ft
United States

I never use RTH and when I fly out of range and it kicks in on its own I only let it bring the drone into eyesight and I take over.  I rarely fly outside line of sight and I always fly at least one of my batteries in ATTI mode every time I go fly, just to keep my control skills sharp.  
2017-12-3
Use props
Thunderfoot1991
New
Flight distance : 136900 ft
United States

fans4c127145 Posted at 2017-3-5 20:09
Too bad ATTI is not available for the Mavic.

ATTI mode in the Mavic is automatically activated when there is not enough GPS signal and not enough light for OPTI mode to properly work.
2017-12-4
Use props
Mr Watton
lvl.2
Flight distance : 84265 ft
United Kingdom

I best make sure i do this, after seeing the video it makes me appreciate the fact that i do not fancy loosing this !
2017-12-5
Use props
1a1a11a
lvl.2
Flight distance : 115213 ft
United States

also, pay attention to the wind, I return to home at 40 percent battery, but still lost it.
2017-12-25
Use props
Gui0123
lvl.1
Flight distance : 331224 ft
France

Thank you for the tips, I didn't know about the swipe left option !
2018-1-3
Use props
ChristianRequen
New

United States

I lost my DJI SPARK following on these steps. The RTH did not work and drone flew away to unreachable location. Is there a way to know what happenened. I have the fly log record and even the CSV. Why did the drone did not follow the RTH instruction request (visible from the log on DJI Go 4) when it was still at range?
2018-1-10
Use props
T-R
lvl.4
Flight distance : 287884 ft
China

Prevent a DJI drone to fly away:
1.  Do not start to fly
2.  Make a thinn rope on, a little bit wind and you even kite her
3. Fly in a room.
Good luck
2018-1-24
Use props
T-R
lvl.4
Flight distance : 287884 ft
France

5 way to prevent DJI flyaways:  1. Don't buy it   2. Don't start it,  3. You must start it..do it indoor only, 4. Outdoor: start it but hold it in your hands, 5. Make a rope on.
2018-1-30
Use props
DANIEL7781
lvl.4
Portugal

Sorry.. But what is the difference from flying with GPS or in ATTI mode if you have your drone in line of sight? Commands will be the same, left go left, right go right, up goes up... etc. Always having in consideration where's the drone is facing to. If it's facing to you, if you pull joystick to go left it will go to your right and if you made it go forward it will go straight back to you. Only to RTH is GPS really needed.

Am I right?
2018-2-7
Use props
Diversant
lvl.3
Flight distance : 112162 ft
Russia

DANIEL7781 Posted at 2018-2-7 03:34
Sorry.. But what is the difference from flying with GPS or in ATTI mode if you have your drone in line of sight? Commands will be the same, left go left, right go right, up goes up... etc. Always having in consideration where's the drone is facing to. If it's facing to you, if you pull joystick to go left it will go to your right and if you made it go forward it will go straight back to you. Only to RTH is GPS really needed.

Am I right?

I understand these differences the same.
Not a good thing to realize that drone may fly away somehow.
2018-2-9
Use props
fans6576e99b
New
Flight distance : 15164 ft

United States

Does the swipe left to adjust the brightness only work with the Mavic Pro? It does not work (with one or two fingers) when using the Mavic Air. Also Hankmeister in #68 reported the same thing with the Spark. Is this intended behavior?
2018-2-21
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Very interesting watch  
2018-2-27
Use props
Trampintransit
lvl.3
Flight distance : 256385 ft
United Kingdom

Does the RTH on a P4 require 4 or 6 satellites to work?
2018-3-12
Use props
fans1ccc1132
New
Belgium

hey guys,
I am a beginning with the mavic air.
the 3rd time I flew, my mavic air was automatically flown against a building after takeoff.
I could not control him and he did this automatically.
probably because of one of the options that I have not set?
the drone flies back after 4 new propellers and put the gimball in place.
but DJI mavic air is perfect for me!
2018-3-21
Use props
Simone82
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1110213 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Very good tips, I'll translate for Italian users
2018-4-8
Use props
Doug Morrison
lvl.1

United States

Swipe left does not work for me either...would be nice to know if that function was deprecated or a bug in the current version of GO app.  The current menus are not great.  Would be nice if some shortcuts for best practice stuff were on a functioning  swipe left page.
2018-5-4
Use props
djiuser_yx0NJEbCVrSu
lvl.2
Flight distance : 14275 ft
United Kingdom

Doug Morrison Posted at 2018-5-4 05:49
Swipe left does not work for me either...would be nice to know if that function was deprecated or a bug in the current version of GO app.  The current menus are not great.  Would be nice if some shortcuts for best practice stuff were on a functioning  swipe left page.

I confess I haven't read every post in this thread but before I forget about this possibility thought I'd chance a short message.

Been using a P4 non-pro in a semi-terrified condition (me, not the drone) since July last, and have just acquired a new MavAir that had its first joyrides Sunday and Monday this week - IOW the bank holiday weekend.

No issues, but since this thread's about flyaways etc something I do with whichever mobile device I'm using I put it into flight mode so it's not radiating anything that could just possibly annoy the steering/nav systems in the RC or possibly cause a Go crashout, since I don't know what provokes those.

With the P4 I use an iPad mini 4 (wifi only) and a Samsung S6.  So far with the MA it's only been the ipad I've used.  But the phone in my pocket was also disabled for flight times.  I guess I could have tethered the ipad to it for GPS secondary location - but so far I don't know enough to do that - and that would enable those possibly-interfering signals again.

The idea of a flyaway is just beyond appalling. Losing the money of these investments is bad enough but it's the effect of a totally random landing of whatever sort that's worse.

For nursery training I got a couple of cheap X8 birds, as a couple of guys mentioned above - compared to the GPS machines those things are DIFFICULT to control.  I'm not done with practising with those by a long shot.
2018-5-9
Use props
David Bartenfield
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3784321 ft
  • >>>

fans4c127145 Posted at 2017-3-5 20:09
Too bad ATTI is not available for the Mavic.

There is a hack that makes ATI available to the Mavic.
2018-5-9
Use props
Suncruiser
lvl.2
Flight distance : 77195 ft

8Blue Wolf8 Posted at 2017-4-30 21:04
If you do plan on flying that far and have LOS -- having a spotter with you with scope or glasses can ensure that you have a visual on your bird at all times.   BTW I am not recommending this technique, merely suggesting it as one way of having an eye on your UAV even when it is 'further than the eye can see'.
Cheers

Keeping the drone in sight seems essential now that I have twice experienced a video freeze.  In such a circumstance I cannot tell which way the drone is facing until I move it in a direction and watch with my eyes which way it goes.  I was glad, when this happened, that I had experience flying a toy drone with none of the GPS, video or compass features of the MA.  I am now taking out binoculars to better spot the direction it is moving. Perhaps a strobe on one side would be a good idea.  I am also wondering if the collision avoidance is still working when I experience a video freeze
2018-5-19
Use props
Mkurr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1605564 ft
United States

Could you tell the direction it is going with the GPS?
2018-6-30
Use props
Mkurr
lvl.4
United States

Although if the video freezes then maybe the GPS would too.
2018-6-30
Use props
Mkurr
lvl.4
United States

Also it is often hard to keep the drone in sight....
2018-6-30
Use props
jmm7
New
Flight distance : 314206 ft
France

I would add one more point : mind the wind !!!
2018-7-15
Use props
dronto
Second Officer
Singapore

thanks for your kind sharing - very useful.
2018-7-18
Use props
thanos.szs
lvl.2
Flight distance : 248150 ft
Greece

All useful tips except it's not always possible to stay LOS. I'm nearsighted (degree of 5,2) and even with my prescription glasses I can't see the mavic when it's more than 50-60 meters away. Too small for me. So, I heavily reside on the visual and the app map. Wouldn't be any fun if I was restricted to fly it LOS.
2018-7-23
Use props
Driel87
lvl.3
Flight distance : 265016 ft
Netherlands

tip 4 is not available for DJI Spark? I swipe and swipe but nothing happens
2018-7-28
Use props
donthaveanyidea
lvl.4

very nice
2018-8-4
Use props
TimDerLauch
lvl.2

Thank you !
2018-8-6
Use props
fansf140eaab
lvl.2
Flight distance : 72881 ft
Bermuda

dronist Posted at 2017-4-28 14:44
Practice in the Academy, and I suggest keep practicing in your garden and practice the hard moves.

What I mean is flying the drone facing you instead of the easy way which is facing away from you. Once your brain get used to the idea then you are good to go. If you have any of PHANTOM practice the ATTI mode every time you fly to keep your skills up and ready.

Safety First, fun second - that's a great philosophy.
2018-8-28
Use props
fansf140eaab
lvl.2
Flight distance : 72881 ft
Bermuda

SadMavic Posted at 2017-8-30 07:22
Why does it "need" the compass for return to home?  Many gps devices figure out orientation once it starts moving.  Once moving the drone can figure out which direction it is moving and steer its way home.

I wonder about that too.
2018-8-28
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>

fansf140eaab Posted at 2018-8-28 10:04
Safety First, fun second - that's a great philosophy.

We should ALL promote that slogan!  
2018-8-28
Use props
elkabubi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 467703 ft
Germany

Omega1DX Posted at 2017-3-5 12:54
Truthfully this; I didn't think much of it until I pieced together a FPV racer. Learning to fly that (no GPS, GLONASS, or avoidance options) has made me much more confident flying my Mavic. It pays to learn "manual" flying.

True. and I still think there should be a way to use ATTI on the Mavic, as fans4c127145 said.
2018-8-31
Use props
elkabubi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 467703 ft
Germany

Dmitry495 Posted at 2017-3-14 08:48
ProQuad,

Which drones would you advice to build to practice basic flying skills? I have a small Syma 5XC that is nice to fly indoors - never does any damage or/and crushes itself. But it is too light to fly outdoors.

I learned with the Syma, it was a very good starting point.
I wold recomend it as a learning drone.
2018-8-31
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules