Australia 400ft/ 120m rule.
6521 26 2017-3-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mic75
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3799423 ft
Australia

I was reading the laws for drones in Australia after they updated them last year and with regard to max height they state 120m in controlled airspace, where as in the past it was just 120m. Where I live the controlled airspace is about 2800ft above AGL. So after much research about controlled airspace by definition n looking at different Letter designations for each height n area it covers I've come to the conclusion that I can fly my drone at 500m. Has anyone else interpreted the rules this way as well.
I also was speaking to a commercial operator n he agreed with me. Also don't ask why would you want to.
2017-3-2
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

I'm not in Australia but I fly mine at 500m quite often.  Nothing wrong with doing so.
2017-3-2
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Taiwan

I'm not in Australia but I fly mine at 500m quite often.  Nothing wrong with doing so.
2017-3-2
Use props
Mariuss
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2480515 ft
  • >>>
Norway

latest update from CASA: Operators of drones weighing more than 100g will still have to steer clear of certain areas, under the so-called “standard RPA operating conditions”. This means no flying in controlled or prohibited airspace; above 400ft (122m); at night; in swarms; over emergency operations without approval; within 30m of another person; out of the pilot’s direct line of sight; or in an area of “sufficient density of population for some aspect of the operation … to pose an unreasonable risk to the life, safety or property”. BUT as long as you stay away from No-fly zones and fly-in zones i guess you're okay
2017-3-2
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-3-2 06:21

Depends where you are!

Here we have to give way to helicopters and flying at a height where it takes 3 minutes to get back down can make that impossible.  Our skies are a lot more crowded that the Australian skies though.
2017-3-2
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
Second Officer
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-3-2 09:20
Depends where you are!

Here we have to give way to helicopters and flying at a height where it takes 3 minutes to get back down can make that impossible.  Our skies are a lot more crowded that the Australian skies though.

We have to avoid things like this

Luckily it's near a congested area so there should be no drone flying, wouldn't want a bit of plastic dropping on someone, but a 3 tonne heli flying backwards is ok.

2017-3-2
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 136686 ft

Australia

AFAIK your interpretation of the new rules is correct. If you are outside a major city then you should be free of Controlled Airspace.

There is an online map somewhere but I cannot find it right now.
2017-3-2
Use props
Mariuss
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2480515 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Cabansail Posted at 2017-3-2 13:14
AFAIK your interpretation of the new rules is correct. If you are outside a major city then you should be free of Controlled Airspace.

There's an app for that! no fly zone something
2017-3-2
Use props
mic75
lvl.4
Australia

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-3-2 06:19

Do you have any issues with signal at 500m
2017-3-2
Use props
mic75
lvl.4
Australia

Mariuss Posted at 2017-3-2 09:19
latest update from CASA: Operators of drones weighing more than 100g will still have to steer clear of certain areas, under the so-called “standard RPA operating conditions”. This means no flying in controlled or prohibited airspace; above 400ft (122m); at night; in swarms; over emergency operations without approval; within 30m of another person; out of the pilot’s direct line of sight; or in an area of “sufficient density of population for some aspect of the operation … to pose an unreasonable risk to the life, safety or property”. BUT as long as you stay away from No-fly zones and fly-in zones i guess you're okay

I'm aware of all the other rules as I have read the legislation but I'm referring just to height here, there's also a rule about landing if you hear or see another aircraft which I interpret as backing up my interpretation of the height rule, you can fly that high but they won't see you so land immediately.
Also flying at night is a maybe, can't remember exact wording.
2017-3-2
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Cabansail Posted at 2017-3-2 13:14

http://xcaustralia.org/aircheck/aircheck.php
2017-3-2
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

I found 300M to be plenty of height, on the prairies. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-3-2
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4

Australia

Labroides Posted at 2017-3-2 15:01
http://xcaustralia.org/aircheck/aircheck.php

That's the one.

Thanks
2017-3-2
Use props
mic75
lvl.4
Australia

Mariuss Posted at 2017-3-2 13:18
There's an app for that!  no fly zone something

Yeah I have the one called Safe to Fly but it only shows the airports with the 5.5km circle, it doesn't show the side view.
classification-of-airspace.jpg
2017-3-2
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Taiwan

mic75 Posted at 2017-3-2 14:53
Do you have any issues with signal at 500m

Nope. I have an Argtek Antenna kit fitted.   Also I am flying where passenger aircraft are not allowed to fly. THe blue dots are the airports.  YU SHAN.   You can see if to the south east on the map. I live in this area. So I do fly at altitudes above 3000m.  So in some area I might launch at say 2700m and fly up 500m the drone is capable of. Our highest mountain which you can see in the video below is just under 4000m.  Im a planning on doing a sunrise launch from a peak at 3500m.  DJI drones can fly at 6000m if you can manage to take one up to a mountain that high.

2017-3-2
Use props
mic75
lvl.4
Australia

Wow blackcrusader that's awesome.
2017-3-3
Use props
Augustus Brian
lvl.4
Flight distance : 397592 ft
United States

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-3-2 19:23
Nope. I have an Argtek Antenna kit fitted.   Also I am flying where passenger aircraft are not allowed to fly. THe blue dots are the airports.  YU SHAN.   You can see if to the south east on the map. I live in this area. So I do fly at altitudes above 3000m.  So in some area I might launch at say 2700m and fly up 500m the drone is capable of. Our highest mountain which you can see in the video below is just under 4000m.  Im a planning on doing a sunrise launch from a peak at 3500m.  DJI drones can fly at 6000m if you can manage to take one up to a mountain that high.

[view_image]

blackcrusader:

What is that on the left, at 1:05? An artifact? A UFO?

Keep Smiling,

Augustus
2017-3-3
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Taiwan

Augustus Brian Posted at 2017-3-3 08:08
blackcrusader:

Good eyes. Was wondering if anyone might notice.  
That is the star ship Dronesmeg piloted by Captain Dronesmeg. He's been know to photobomb a few of my videos. He comes to visit and we go flying together.  It's fun.  

2017-3-3
Use props
mic75
lvl.4
Australia

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-3-2 19:23

[view_image]

I'm going to do the antenna upgrade when mine is out of warranty, Do you have the paddle pop stick ones or the bigger square ones.
2017-3-3
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Taiwan

mic75 Posted at 2017-3-3 16:31
I'm going to do the antenna upgrade when mine is out of warranty, Do you have the paddle pop stick ones or the bigger square ones.

Two 2.4ghz flat panels and the tower antenna for RC

2017-3-3
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4

Australia

This is a sheet I edited to carry with me when flying.

It's sourced from the CASA site.

The line on night flying is "No night flying (generally)." which leaves a bit of wiggle room.

Flying with control.pdf

216.06 KB, Down times: 11

2017-3-3
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-3-3 11:49
Good eyes. Was wondering if anyone might notice.  
That is the star ship Dronesmeg piloted by Captain Dronesmeg. He's been know to photobomb a few of my videos. He comes to visit and we go flying together.  It's fun.  

Aloha crusader,

Now I got to keep an eye one you - and Dronesmeg!  You guys!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-3-4
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Taiwan

Cetacean Posted at 2017-3-4 01:49
Aloha crusader,

Now I got to keep an eye one you - and Dronesmeg!  You guys!

It's Dronesmegs fault.  He let me try his drone when I was visiting him.  He comes to visit me as I have better locations to fly

We will do a few different locations together though.
2017-3-4
Use props
mic75
lvl.4
Australia

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-3-3 18:31
Two 2.4ghz flat panels and the tower antenna for RC

[view_image]

cool thanks
2017-3-4
Use props
mic75
lvl.4
Australia

Cabansail Posted at 2017-3-3 23:21
This is a sheet I edited to carry with me when flying.

It's sourced from the CASA site.

yes that's the wording I was referring to, would be great to know exact meaning. maybe with drones likes ours with lights it's ok.
2017-3-4
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4

Australia

mic75 Posted at 2017-3-4 14:41
yes that's the wording I was referring to, would be great to know exact meaning. maybe with drones likes ours with lights it's ok.

My assumption is that you still have to be able to see the aircraft and where it's flying so night flying would limit that a lot. The exception would be in places like a sports field with artificial lights but without the people. Things like that would probably be OK but I doubt just having lights on the aircraft would suffice.

I am assuming it would be similar to the rules covering NVFR (Night Visual Flight Rules) in light aircraft where you still have to be able to see the ground to navigate.
2017-3-4
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Taiwan

Augustus Brian Posted at 2017-3-3 08:08
blackcrusader:

If you look you can also spot him at the beginning of the video on the right side, just a spec floating up there.  This is how 2 drone pilots in the same area talk to each other about where they are. We too different directions when getting above the clouds.  Also we can fly at different heights as well.

Last thing you need is a mid air collision with your friend.
2017-3-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules