Friendly reminder now a new update is here:The Mavic eats your wifi!
1478 9 2017-3-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CuaC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 369626 ft
Germany

As I've already read a lot of people here and in other forums/groups/whatever complaining about the update getting stuck or taking too long regardless of using the DJI Assistant or the phone app I thought it would be nice to open a thread on this subject.

When you turn on your mavic it will severely interfere your wifi signal! This is normal and has to be with the transmission frequency being too close to the normal wifi range (around 2.4 Ghz)

You will probably experience an extremelly slow download or even an upload failure if you're not close to the router when using the app. If your computer is using wifi, it will also be affected. Solutions are:

-Using your 3g/4g plan when updating from your phone
-Getting your phone/laptop close to the router
-Using a cable connection to your router

Hope it helps some solving update issues

2017-3-2
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Philippines

Interesting observation. I never thought about it, but that would make some sense for all those people having difficulties with the updates. I assume using 5Ghz WiFi would also avoid the interference. I think my phone has just happened to be connected via 5Ghz WiFi while doing my updates.
2017-3-2
Use props
alirz5
lvl.4
Flight distance : 609833 ft
Canada

thats why i only trust wired connections
2017-3-2
Use props
bitboy0 - mavic
lvl.2
Flight distance : 212201 ft
Germany

alirz5 Posted at 2017-3-2 06:37
thats why i only trust wired connections

Is the connection to your mavic via cable during flight ? ;) Guess not.
I had never any Problems with the update using 2.4GHz Wifi. Maybe that may occure, but not regulary
2017-3-2
Use props
lildevilx
lvl.2
Flight distance : 264101 ft
Canada

Never had any problems... but i do use 5.8GHz  wifi on my phone
2017-3-2
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

lildevilx Posted at 2017-3-2 07:31
Never had any problems... but i do use 5.8GHz  wifi on my phone

Same here, no problems with cell WIFI.  I've done all the firmware upgrades through the RC/phone.
2017-3-2
Use props
boostedford
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144478 ft
United States

i upgraded literally right next to my router with no issue or slowness
2017-3-2
Use props
WInged Eye
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1077618 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've never had a problem, in fact today's upgrade (Mar 3) downloaded really fast. There should not be interference from the Mavic any more then in  apartment building with 20-30 routers and hundreds of devices in close proximity. If there's enough traffic from multiple devices the 14 2.8 ghz channels out there can bog but the Mavic and the controller are just 2 more devices. Unless your router has a problem.

That said 5.8 is always a good strategy if its available since it's much less used (congested) there are 25 channels and the possible bandwidth is twice that of 2.8.
2017-3-2
Use props
Sangarone
lvl.2
United States

I knew it!

Thought it was so strange, I would have my Mavic/RC on near me, while trying to watch youtube tutorials and settings guides on my laptop and the wifi would keep losing signal.

Im not super tech saavy, so I dont know much(anything) aboutt ghz, is there a way around this issue?
2017-3-2
Use props
CuaC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 369626 ft
Germany

Sangarone Posted at 2017-3-2 21:45
I knew it!

Thought it was so strange, I would have my Mavic/RC on near me, while trying to watch youtube tutorials and settings guides on my laptop and the wifi would keep losing signal.

Yup! It really seems it depends on your wifi router. Might be that it changes from EU to US/CA, as the laws regarding frequencies change too. Definately it affects mine and another one I tried when I had to update while being on a trip.

2017-3-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules