12Next >
2915 62 2017-3-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
LAI
lvl.1
Flight distance : 38310 ft
United States

So I had my first bird incident last weekend.  Flying in a semi-rural area around 200'.  Suddenly the proximity sensors went off and the video did a wild swing.  Took me a minute to figure out what happened.  I was watching the video trying to get a top-down shot lined up.  Finally I noticed 2 big raptors flying nearby.  My assumption is that one swooped on the drone but didn't hit it.  This is the site of a wedding venue I am expecting to do quite a bit of filming at so I am wondering what can be done to mitigate the chances this will happen again.  On a sunny day you can see 5 or 6 of the big birds lazily soaring nearby.

Does anyone have suggestions or example of what they do in these types of situations?  Thanks
2017-3-2
Use props
Nigel_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Put a bright strobe light or two on top of the aircraft so that they don't confuse it with either food or competition.
Don't know if it would work with whatever your raptors are, but it's something to try.
If you are close to a lot of people they will probably keep their distance anyway as long as you don't get too high, but don't let them get used to attacking you or they may start doing it just for fun.
2017-3-2
Use props
Thermographer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1417362 ft
United States

12 Gauge with #6 shot...
2017-3-2
Use props
LAI
lvl.1
United States

It was my understanding that some raptors are protected (I haven't tried to specifically identify them) and therefore shooting one would be a bad idea.

I hadn't thought of the strobe.  I had thought about trying to to rig some sort of buzzer or other noise maker.
2017-3-2
Use props
Mariuss
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2480515 ft
  • >>>
Norway

LAI Posted at 2017-3-2 12:19
It was my understanding that some raptors are protected (I haven't tried to specifically identify them) and therefore shooting one would be a bad idea.

I hadn't thought of the strobe.  I had thought about trying to to rig some sort of buzzer or other noise maker.

You can attach one of those rape alarms on top? maybe a bit annoying but should do the trick! They don't weigh much either (dont ask why i know that)
2017-3-2
Use props
LAI
lvl.1
United States

Mariuss Posted at 2017-3-2 12:27
You can attach one of those rape alarms on top? maybe a bit annoying but should do the trick! They don't weigh much either (dont ask why i know that)

I have not but that is a good idea.  
2017-3-2
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

IMO the best thing is to ignore the birds.  Chances are very slim they'd actually come in contact with your drone.  Yes it has happened but it's very rare.  I've had them swoop at my drones many times but nothing ever happens.
2017-3-2
Use props
fivetonine
lvl.4
Flight distance : 985135 ft
  • >>>
Austria

Avoid big birds. My drone has once been attacked by an eagle in the Austrian alps. Lucky enough I was fast and flew faster than the eagles, so it didn't catch the drone. Hunting birds can be dangerous as they protect their territory.
2017-3-2
Use props
fivetonine
lvl.4
  • >>>
Austria

AlecW Posted at 2017-3-2 14:20
We have a big hawk that hunts our backyard and the fields behind us.  It's gone for now but I'm sure it will be back in the spring/summer.  I'll be keeping my eye on it but I don't know if it's big enough to take out a phantom.  It does take out adult rabbits and flies off with them, kinda cool to watch it, we have binoculars by our picture window.

Just keep an eye on it next time you fly ;) or have a spotter check with the binoculars. It's fascinating to watch how animals interact with technology...
2017-3-2
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

Only thing I can think of is try different color schemes to see if they will leave a certain one alone. Obviously time consuming.  I have heard anecdotal evidence that sea gulls will attack a white drone but not a black one.
2017-3-2
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

AlecW Posted at 2017-3-2 14:31
They migrate south for the winter.  It's probably in Mexico drinking margaritas right now

Is it buying the drinks? I might go visit it.
2017-3-2
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 136686 ft

Australia

Geebax Posted at 2017-3-2 16:41
Is it buying the drinks? I might go visit it.

Make it soon before the wall goes up.
2017-3-2
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4

Australia

AlecW Posted at 2017-3-2 17:51
Stop harassing me on every thread with politics and mind your own countries' business.

NOTHING to do with YOU.

It was a joke being poked a Geebax

Turn your ISO down .... you are way too sensitive.
2017-3-2
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4

Australia

AlecW Posted at 2017-3-2 18:03
Whatever, you're trolling, simple as that and you post about the wall on every thread I'm on.  I know what you are trying to do but won't go for your bait.  I've been on the internets a long, long time, you're not the first or last person to try it on me.

Whoa!

I see your online and raise you a few years.

You may not realise it but the goings on over there are news here and also the subject of much mirth and comedy. This is not about you. I think I had a bit of fun on another thread about the US/Canada wall that was being promoted by an Australian comedian on his UK show. If anything it was having a bit of fun with our Canadian cousins. You then seemed to think it was aimed at you. It wasn't.

Maybe the Admin here should add "Wall" to the swear filter to protect you from these devestating insults? Either that or just lighten up a tad.
2017-3-2
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4

Australia

AlecW Posted at 2017-3-2 18:25
Your insulting the country I'm a citizen of on a drone forum.  Think about that.  Do Americans insult Australia all the time on this forum?

I kind of agree with some of your points. Not a fan of Australia I just live here. In the past I have resided in other countries as well.

Must admit I do find a lot about US culture to be quite distasteful and up there on that list is the preoccupation with patriotism. The indiviuals i have met from the US I have mainly liked but then most of them have left there for a reason.

Back on topic ..... I wonder if the US birds are attacking the Phantom as they can sense it's come from China? They may be racist birds over there?
2017-3-2
Use props
Quamera
lvl.2
Australia

Your insulting the country I'm a citizen of on a drone forum.  Think about that.  Do Americans insult Australia all the time on this forum?

Alec read over the thread carefully and calmly and then reconsider your words. If you don't want to change anything then IMHO you must be stressed, tired or drunk so go away and read it again when your mental state has improved and ask the same question.
2017-3-2
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Sometimes a few stiff belts are necessary, just to wade through mounds of 'it on here. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-3-2
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

'Do Americans insult Australia all the time on this forum?'

Well, you just did, and I did nothing to provoke you.
2017-3-2
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

fivetonine Posted at 2017-3-2 14:07
Avoid big birds. My drone has once been attacked by an eagle in the Austrian alps. Lucky enough I was fast and flew faster than the eagles, so it didn't catch the drone. Hunting birds can be dangerous as they protect their territory.

Eagles can hit over 200kmh... so you outran them with your drone.  Some drone you have there.
2017-3-2
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4

Australia

AlecW Posted at 2017-3-2 20:03
Your countryman Cabansail did so I just followed suite for once to see how you'll like it . I didn't mention you so where does that 'I' come from? Ironic that you are crying about it., thank you for proving my point.  It's not nice is it?

Not nice?

On the contrary it is hilarious!

C'mon Alec C'mon ..... grow a funny bone or as this is about birds maybe a wishbone. After all inst't the eagle one of your national symbols? (Bald not Eddie)
2017-3-2
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4

Australia

AlecW Posted at 2017-3-2 20:14
Why are you trolling me every night?  I'm an old bald guy, nothing to see here.  If that swings your boat go at it, couple mins on Facebook and you could find my picture to wack off to if that's your thing.  I don't hide who I am on the internet.

I am not trolling you in fact I find a lot of your posts here informative and interesting. I avoid face thingy like the plague so will not look there.
The only problem is that you seem to be over sensitive to light hearted banter. I find your attempts at insults to this country to be quite pathetic and you could have done better. Some pointers. We don't have a border to build a wall on and the map of Tasmania may be indicative of the type of people who live here. Go on try some more.
2017-3-2
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4

Australia

Oh my last post was way off topic again

So to make up for it.

What do you do if a bird craps on your drone? Try to ignore it but don't take out on a  flying date again.
2017-3-2
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

In order to try and get this back on topic, I agree with other posters that the best thing is to get out of there. In a way, you are lucky with big raptors, because at least you can see them. Where I live I get harrassed by small Swallows, who are extremely fast, come out of nowhere and you can't see them until they are on top of you.
2017-3-2
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Geebax Posted at 2017-3-2 20:25
In order to try and get this back on topic, I agree with other posters that the best thing is to get out of there. In a way, you are lucky with big raptors, because at least you can see them. Where I live I get harrassed by small Swallows, who are extremely fast, come out of nowhere and you can't see them until they are on top of you.

Yes, you need a set of predator eyes on the drone.  Keep them guessing, who's coming to dinner? ;-)

ReHotPoker
2017-3-2
Use props
Quamera
lvl.2
Australia

Cabansail Posted at 2017-3-2 20:08
Not nice?

On the contrary it is hilarious!

Yep, most of us can see the funny side of it except Alec, he must have broken his Jeep (or maybe it broke itself so he couldn't drive it)

There are countries training young eagles to take out drones mainly around military bases and other sensitive areas. No consumer UAV stands a chance against a committed raptor with leg guards.
2017-3-2
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Taiwan

AlecW Posted at 2017-3-2 20:46
I give up guys.  Not sure what I did wrong.  I am out.  Won't post here again.  I can't even post on a bird thread and get left alone.

Alex, you need to understand Aussies like to wind people up.  
What you need is the Aussie answer to that. We call it the "harden the f up"
There is the other alternative that my Momma used to teach. Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me. or just read and ignore.

PS this is sunset from my village.  We get lots of small birds that feast on insects. Not a good time to fly your drone. Hundreds of birds in the area I launch from.

2017-3-2
Use props
fivetonine
lvl.4
  • >>>
Austria

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-3-2 20:00
Eagles can hit over 200kmh... so you outran them with your drone.  Some drone you have there.

Eagles hit with 200 km/h when they do their kamikaze descents. But not in level flight. This was a level flight situation, so yes, the Phantom was faster and/or came out of the danger zone fast enough.
2017-3-3
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4

Australia

Clouds ate very nice. Hope you don't mind but I gave it a tweak

edited_BCsunset.jpg
2017-3-3
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Taiwan

Cabansail Posted at 2017-3-3 00:39
Clouds ate very nice. Hope you don't mind but I gave it a tweak

Thanks.  I haven't edited anything I posted so far. All shot as they were.

I'm lucky really that some of the stuff I shoot is good to begin with.
2017-3-3
Use props
fansdc5014de
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8235 ft
Spain

I show you a clever bird.
2017-3-3
Use props
Augustus Brian
lvl.4
Flight distance : 397592 ft
United States

Cabansail Posted at 2017-3-2 17:56
NOTHING to do with YOU.

It was a joke being poked a Geebax

Cabansail:

Sorry to inject such a Debbie-downer technical point into such a light-hearted, humorous discussion about walls, Patriotism and exoskeletons (necessary to withstand digs and jabs), let alone wild birds rabid affinity for propped birds.....BUT....ER...UH...well....

...Wouldn't he need to turn his ISO (Internalizing Seriocomical Organ) UP, not down, to decrease sensitivity?

Thanks for coming out. You're so kind. Tip the waiters. I'll be here all week. Cheers. Oh, and...

Keep Smiling,

Augustus

2017-3-3
Use props
Augustus Brian
lvl.4
United States

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-3-2 21:25
Alex, you need to understand Aussies like to wind people up.  
What you need is the Aussie answer to that. We call it the "harden the f up"
There is the other alternative that my Momma used to teach. Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me. or just read and ignore.

blackcrusader:

This is a really nice sunset.

Keep Smiling,

Augustus
2017-3-3
Use props
Thermographer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1417362 ft
United States

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-3-3 00:57
Thanks.  I haven't edited anything I posted so far. All shot as they were.

I'm lucky really that some of the stuff I shoot is good to begin with.

Do you use a filter on your drone's camera?
2017-3-3
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
Second Officer
United States

AlecW Posted at 2017-3-2 20:14
Why are you trolling me every night?  I'm an old bald guy, nothing to see here.  If that swings your boat go at it, couple mins on Facebook and you could find my picture to wack off to if that's your thing.  I don't hide who I am on the internet.

Alec, as a fellow American, I did not see any reason to get riled up over the wall statement. May just want to chill a bit there. After all, the wall should only affect the people who are interested in crossing illegally. I could go to Mexico for a drink legally and get back the same way. No effect on me. But the Margaritas are great here so no reason to leave.
Other than their lack of a law like our 2nd Amendment, I have no reason to bash an Australian. I would not mind visiting if they weren't so bloody far away. Plus being upside-down would take some getting used to.
2017-3-3
Use props
Augustus Brian
lvl.4
United States

KM5RG-Robert Posted at 2017-3-3 07:00
Alec, as a fellow American, I did not see any reason to get riled up over the wall statement. May just want to chill a bit there. After all, the wall should only affect the people who are interested in crossing illegally. I could go to Mexico for a drink legally and get back the same way. No effect on me. But the Margaritas are great here so no reason to leave.
Other than their lack of a law like our 2nd Amendment, I have no reason to bash an Australian. I would not mind visiting if they weren't so bloody far away. Plus being upside-down would take some getting used to.

KM5RG-Robert:

"...should only affect the people who are..."

...paying taxes, used to finance it...
...in line to benefit from lucrative, long term construction contracts...
...standing to lose imminent rights battles, and eventually their in-the-right-of-way land...
...owners of near-the-border hotels, shops and restaurants, catering to construction workers...
...construction workers, and their families, extended families, and their unborn grand and great-grandchildren, who might also take up their predecessors trade...
...maintenance workers, and their families...and (see above, under construction workers)...
...people who use various elements of our crumbling infrastructure, not being maintained due to the above two categories' relative scarcity (that Des Moines bridge can wait---much more lucrative contract in Laredo)...
...lawyers, so many lawyers, so many, many lawyers...
...and a few funeral directors...

...in fact, the families and extended families of ALL of the groups above...

...to name a few. YMMV.

Keep Smiling,

Augustus
2017-3-3
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
Second Officer
United States

Augustus Brian Posted at 2017-3-3 08:34
KM5RG-Robert:

"...should only affect the people who are..."

So 6 positives, 2 negatives, and 2 neutrals?
2017-3-3
Use props
Augustus Brian
lvl.4
United States

KM5RG-Robert Posted at 2017-3-3 08:45
So 6 positives, 2 negatives, and 2 neutrals?

KM5RG-Robert:

I'm more into long-term total-affected counts, as opposed to macro-group counts...

By the way, it seems the Jeep has plastered the pedal to the medal...watch out for the backwash...

Keep Smiling,

Augustus
2017-3-3
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Taiwan

Thermographer Posted at 2017-3-3 06:20
Do you use a filter on your drone's camera?

No filters.  I was in my office working yesterday but scooted outside to fly snap this.
Unfortunately by the time my drone warmed up there were also lots of birds chasing insects and the sun had gone down.
This is the HDR mode photo

2017-3-3
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Taiwan

fansdc5014de Posted at 2017-3-3 02:39
I show you a clever bird.
https://youtu.be/9QlUAy4DVKE

great video.  Loved the cartoon audio. made me laugh.
2017-3-3
Use props
Augustus Brian
lvl.4
United States

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-3-3 11:31
No filters.  I was in my office working yesterday but scooted outside to fly snap this.
Unfortunately by the time my drone warmed up there were also lots of birds chasing insects and the sun had gone down.
This is the HDR mode photo

blackcrusader:

You have that just outside your office? Shazam!!

Does the fog ever roll through there? If so, that would be a great capture, likely with a P4 Pro.

Keep Smiling,

Augustus
2017-3-3
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules