11203 98 2017-3-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Elektrica
First Officer
Flight distance : 9674836 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Very sad day...I was stable, hovering, around 115 mt. height, 50% battery, when all of a suddent the I2 started spinning wildly in circles, completely out of control, gimball went crazy as well, I could not see anything on screen anymore...All this without losing height, I managed to regain some control, hovered again to try to figure out what was going on, same issue again, so I regained control by moving the sticks a bit, pointed slowly and very worried toward me, descended to 20 mt. lowered the landing gear and the I2 just tilted 90 degrees to the right and out out control disintegrated on the concrete. I have DJI Refresh on both I2 and X5S, but this is clearly a serious issue / malfunction. Picking up the pieces, I can see that one of the rotors is locked / jammed, but that might have been the crash itself.

This I2 had issues from day one. Out of the box it was unstable, flying in wider and wider circles and often lost GPS (Not a building obstruction problem). I chatted with support and that was somehow / partially fixed with an IMU reset. Circling disappeared, but GPS loss happened again, last time on the 22nd of February, for a few seconds. Errors were GPS loss (At 200 mt. height!) and abnormal compass function or GPS...
Loss of signal was some 30 seconds (Of TERROR) as the I2 was 1.6km away. Had I lost video signal as well, who knows...

Another incident was over a lake in Switzerland on the 13th of February, the signal just went dead in the middle of the lake, at 74mt height and 1.1km distance.
Nothing was logged after that on the APP. After a few minutes, hoping to see the I2 return home, but hearing no sound, etc. I started using the RTH function and after a while I saw the I2 over my head. I managed to land it, but I never regained the signal, which was only re-established by turning everything off and on again. I have no idea if RTH did the trick, or the battery failsafe, or what.
I am fully aware of what loss of video signal is, but this time the signal just went dead for good. I have (and had): P4, P4P, Mavic, Inspire1, I logged 274 flights and 520km, 42h of flight. I am very familiar with weird situations and mistakes (I made plenty). I did have minor accidents, but this I2 was either born weird or something potentially scary might be lurking behind the I2. It would have been best if the 1st time support asked me to send it in for a checkup (I would have done that happily).

The final crash, a few hours ago, was truly scary. The I2 is big, heavy and dangerous. Had it lost final control at 115 mt. who knows...

Anyway, I will send bit, pieces and crumbs back to DJI Support probably tomorrow.
I TRULY HOPE this unit was born defective and I am sure DJI will pay close attention to what happened.

IMG_0003.jpg
IMG_0004.jpg
IMG_0005.jpg
IMG_0006.jpg
IMG_0007.jpg
IMG_0008.jpg
IMG_0009.jpg
IMG_0010.jpg
IMG_0011.jpg
IMG_0013.jpg
IMG_0014.jpg
2017-3-2
Use props
Elektrica
First Officer
  • >>>
Italy

sigh! really sad day...The last image recorded...You can see the tilted bird when it started spinning madly / losing control...

DJI_0039.jpg
2017-3-2
Use props
SkyLit
lvl.2
Flight distance : 67753 ft
United States

{:4_157:} Giving me nightmares.  Sorry to hear this mate.  Good luck.
2017-3-2
Use props
nazar404.yahoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 394291 ft
  • >>>
United States

SkyLit Posted at 2017-3-2 17:25
Giving me nightmares.  Sorry to hear this mate.  Good luck.

Elektrica,

Very sorry for your lost and nightmare, I am glad no one was injured on the ground .
Hopefully your problem can be resolved in a timely manor.

The best of  luck to you and speedy return.
2017-3-2
Use props
raven4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 86194 ft
United States

YIKES!
2017-3-2
Use props
Elektrica
First Officer
  • >>>
Italy

A bit worried, I shipped to DJI EU, they received the I2 on the 7th of March and to this day I have not heard back anything. They were supposed to say something within 1 or 2 working days...I wrote 2 emails, one this morning, one tonight...Zilch, no answer yet. For such an expensive piece of hardware, I would expect a first class service, also because, despite the fact that the drone was clearly faulty. I also spent extra money for DJI Care Refresh, which, as I said, should NOT be invoked in this case. Maybe there's something truly faulty on the I2 and that's why it takes so long to get some feedback. DJI is usually pretty speedy on this. I crashed a Mavic (Totally my fault) and it was sent back really fast, despite the fact that it was not readily available and my brand new P4P was clearly problematic out of the box and they swapped it immediately, but this I2 is really taking too much and the zero useful feedback is bothering me, given the investment made on the bird.
2017-3-15
Use props
Elektrica
First Officer
  • >>>
Italy

BTW...CAS-485393-W7H9Q5
2017-3-15
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Elektrica Posted at 2017-3-15 14:16
A bit worried, I shipped to DJI EU, they received the I2 on the 7th of March and to this day I have not heard back anything. They were supposed to say something within 1 or 2 working days...I wrote 2 emails, one this morning, one tonight...Zilch, no answer yet. For such an expensive piece of hardware, I would expect a first class service, also because, despite the fact that the drone was clearly faulty. I also spent extra money for DJI Care Refresh, which, as I said, should NOT be invoked in this case. Maybe there's something truly faulty on the I2 and that's why it takes so long to get some feedback. DJI is usually pretty speedy on this. I crashed a Mavic (Totally my fault) and it was sent back really fast, despite the fact that it was not readily available and my brand new P4P was clearly problematic out of the box and they swapped it immediately, but this I2 is really taking too much and the zero useful feedback is bothering me, given the investment made on the bird.

I am very sorry to read about your loss!   {:4_117:}  This was hard to look at all the damage. I hope you hear something from DJI soon and it most likely will be covered either way.  Please share any news with us as the story unfolds.

Best to you and a speedy recovery
Rich
2017-3-15
Use props
Elektrica
First Officer
  • >>>
Italy

I will keep you posted. so far nothing, not even a reply to my latest emails. The biggest worry is how dangerous it can be when out of control. I really wonder why, in case of 1 propeller failure they don't automatically disable the opposite one.
2017-3-15
Use props
fansba3b7009
lvl.4
Flight distance : 314908 ft
  • >>>
Austria

to keep a quad in the air with 3 motors is not that easy, its been done but with smaller unloaded quads...it will spin so fast like you have never seen a quad flying before
...and what you dont need is a heavy  copter with lots of mass outside the cog like the i2

what dji needs to do is stop putting their best camera not only in a quadcopter airframe ( with loose props for example)
so many people expect these things to never fail...but  sometimes they do
thats why people need to have a choice to use a much safer octocopter
2017-3-16
Use props
Elektrica
First Officer
  • >>>
Italy

fansba3b7009 Posted at 2017-3-16 01:00
to keep a quad in the air with 3 motors is not that easy, its been done but with smaller unloaded quads...it will spin so fast like you have never seen a quad flying before
...and what you dont need is a heavy  copter with lots of mass outside the cog like the i2

Correct me if I am wrong, but since the I2 has been seen lifting 8kg. of weight and after chatting with an aeronautical engineer, he was utterly surprised that if a prop failed the opposite one would not turn off, leaving just 2 opposite props running (If it switched to sport mode even better). 2 props should be enough to avoid having the bird (Probably even a P4) plummet from the sky uncontrollably and dangerously. It might lead to a heavy descent (Or not), but probably a controllable one.

I still do not know precisely what happened to my I2, all I know is that it became uncontrollable and crashed heavily. Had the bird disabled the opposite motor to the one that failed (Assuming that was the real problem, but so far it looks like it), I could have probably saved it and could have avoided a possible dangerous situation.

It seems to me like a no brainer...Maybe I am missing something.
2017-3-16
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

We're sorry for your experience, your case is under progress, we're aware of it and concern much about this case.
2017-3-16
Use props
ScooterC5
lvl.4
Flight distance : 435052 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-3-16 20:41
We're sorry for your experience, your case is under progress, we're aware of it and concern much about this case.

Please keep us all in the loop of the findings for this.  I feel like I need to ground my I2 until we figure this out.  We could all be effected by whatever caused this... whether it's firmware or manufacturer problem....
2017-3-17
Use props
Elektrica
First Officer
  • >>>
Italy

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-3-16 20:41

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback! I am sure this is being taken care of the way it should. On a side note, I posted a few times a lingering question...
Why don't DJI Drones, in case of 1 propeller failure, switch a 2nd, opposite propeller off as well and then also switch to SPORT mode automatically (i.e. white prop fails, the opposite white prop. switches off)?

I am confident that could save the drones from falling out of the sky and / or avoid losing control completely.

It seems like a no brainier, but I cannot seem to get an answer to this.
2017-3-17
Use props
Elektrica
First Officer
  • >>>
Italy

ScooterC5 Posted at 2017-3-17 00:08
Please keep us all in the loop of the findings for this.  I feel like I need to ground my I2 until we figure this out.  We could all be effected by whatever caused this... whether it's firmware or manufacturer problem....

Will keep you posted.
2017-3-17
Use props
skypal
lvl.4
Flight distance : 560256 ft
Germany

Elektrica Posted at 2017-3-17 01:02
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback! I am sure this is being taken care of the way it should. On a side note, I posted a few times a lingering question...
Why don't DJI Drones, in case of 1 propeller failure, switch a 2nd, opposite propeller off as well and then also switch to SPORT mode automatically (i.e. white prop fails, the opposite white prop. switches off)?

The opposite prop has the same spin direction and there would be no counter force anymore. So the copter itself would spin like hell. There would be no benefit.
2017-3-17
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Elektrica Posted at 2017-3-16 01:49
Correct me if I am wrong, but since the I2 has been seen lifting 8kg. of weight and after chatting with an aeronautical engineer, he was utterly surprised that if a prop failed the opposite one would not turn off, leaving just 2 opposite props running (If it switched to sport mode even better). 2 props should be enough to avoid having the bird (Probably even a P4) plummet from the sky uncontrollably and dangerously. It might lead to a heavy descent (Or not), but probably a controllable one.

I still do not know precisely what happened to my I2, all I know is that it became uncontrollable and crashed heavily. Had the bird disabled the opposite motor to the one that failed (Assuming that was the real problem, but so far it looks like it), I could have probably saved it and could have avoided a possible dangerous situation.

Sorry for you crash , might have been an ESC failure , motor failure or prop malfunction , who knows.  I can tell you that having  anything less than all 4 motors going is the only way this flight  configuration could fly  , so the idea of killing the opposite motor still would not work. The only way would be a 6 rotor AC, the loss of one motor  would affect flight but you could get  it down ,  Or a parachute recovery system.  
****(If the motor locked up it would have immediatly spun into the ground from altitude, more than likely that happend as a result of the crash )

Let us know what you find out , and sorry about the crash .  In the future if your gut tells you something is not right send it in for analysis , I think DJI should have told you this as well.  It is always best to be on the safe rather than sorry side of the fence .  

donnie
2017-3-17
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Second Officer
United States

skypal Posted at 2017-3-17 04:50
The opposite prop has the same spin direction and there would be no counter force anymore. So the copter itself would spin like hell. There would be no benefit.

You are 100% correct .  I dont think the engineer the OP was speaking with knew this was a four bladed copter.

donnie
2017-3-17
Use props
JBSonic
lvl.4
Flight distance : 779019 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I saw a video which demonstrated a quadcopter's ability to avoid crashing by using a certain algorithm.
2017-3-17
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

There is another video of the above where they save the quad with three props running outside here.

2017-3-17
Use props
DJI-BladeStrike
lvl.4
Flight distance : 872694 ft
  • >>>
United States

Please understand that you would have to have incredible amounts of power.. The power to weight ratio on something like the inspire would get you only a few min of flight... If you want true redundancy you must have more than 4 rotors. Even with 6, if you don't have enough power, weak batteries or running a very heavy setup she will come down..

Its all about power to weight ratios..
2017-3-17
Use props
Runi
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1548743 ft
  • >>>
Denmark

then take a look at this. I just got this drone a few days ago, its supposed to be a replacement drone for one I had sent in for repair since that one had a malefunction on the controller and non-working fpv camera. This is how it flyes
Note that I am not touching the controller other then taking off and all sensors are turned off, but in GPS mode. I have tried 3 different propellers so I can rool out that the propellers are the issue.
2017-3-17
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 692090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dang! I understand your pain. I flew my I1Pro full speed into a Saguaro cactus (Arizona desert) last year, NEVER FLY WITH FRIENDS DISTRACTING YOU!!!), after $700US  repair bill,  got it back from local dealer AS NEW.

"This I2 had issues from day one. Out of the box it was unstable, flying in wider and wider circles and often lost GPS" Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I'd return it after this experience.

My P3P started to make funny noises in one motor one day. Shut it off, restarted noise gone. The smart thing would have been to take it in for a check up or at least do a test short flight a few feet off the ground (my dealer is only 65 km away) but NO, had to fly, right? P3P  dropped from 30 meters like a rock while doing a geomap. I never fly over people so no big deal. Same motor making the noise earlier froze mid-flight. Some $300US later I learned my lesson to never ignore a sign of possible trouble. Not criticizing you , just venting.
Good luck with your bird.
2017-3-17
Use props
fansba3b7009
lvl.4
  • >>>
Austria

just wow!!  this is a very bad resonance vibration!
you can see how it picks  it up and cant get out of it...only when you put landing gear down its fine again

thes forces can easily tear the structure apart...be careful! and for sure dont fly it again like this!
2017-3-17
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 692090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-3-17 05:00
Sorry for you crash , might have been an ESC failure , motor failure or prop malfunction , who knows.  I can tell you that having  anything less than all 4 motors going is the only way this flight  configuration could fly  , so the idea of killing the opposite motor still would not work. The only way would be a 6 rotor AC, the loss of one motor  would affect flight but you could get  it down ,  Or a parachute recovery system.  
****(If the motor locked up it would have immediatly spun into the ground from altitude, more than likely that happend as a result of the crash )

My P3P froze a motor last year at 30M , applied full throttle (not sure that did anything) and the quad corckscrewed all the way down but did appear to do so at less than full gravity. Minor damage.
2017-3-17
Use props
fansba3b7009
lvl.4
  • >>>
Austria

remember its the prop hubs making the problem!
do  your props have a  play if you lift the tips up and down?
2017-3-17
Use props
Runi
lvl.3
  • >>>
Denmark

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2017-3-17 08:43
There is another video of the above where they save the quad with three props running outside here.

Quad flying on three props.

but there i not a heavy gimbal hanging down on these small copters. I would think a X5 gimbal would have major effect on this failsafe system.
2017-3-17
Use props
DJI-BladeStrike
lvl.4
Flight distance : 872694 ft
  • >>>
United States

Runi Posted at 2017-3-17 11:39
then take a look at this. I just got this drone a few days ago, its supposed to be a replacement drone for one I had sent in for repair since that one had a malefunction on the controller and non-working fpv camera. This is how it flyes
Note that I am not touching the controller other then taking off and all sensors are turned off, but in GPS mode. I have tried 3 different propellers so I can rool out that the propellers are the issue.
vibrating I2

Please do not fly if this is how the craft is acting.. Contact support

If you could send me the dat file for this flight that would be great!

ken.booth@dji.com
2017-3-17
Use props
Runi
lvl.3
  • >>>
Denmark

DJI-BladeStrike Posted at 2017-3-17 12:26
Please do not fly if this is how the craft is acting.. Contact support

If you could send me the dat file for this flight that would be great!

Don´t worry, I won't and a replacement drone is on the way from my reseller! But its very unfortunately since I am booked for film shoot this monday and the replacement drone is delayed in transit

The first drone I sent in for repair took 4 weeks to service..
I´ll soon be out of business if I stick with DJI products.
2017-3-17
Use props
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

Elektrica Posted at 2017-3-17 01:02

Why not shut down the opposite diagonal motor? because to maintain stable equilibrium you need balance on a minimum of 3 points.

2017-3-17
Use props
Elektrica
First Officer
  • >>>
Italy

LICENSED PILOT Posted at 2017-3-17 11:48
Dang! I understand your pain. I flew my I1Pro full speed into a Saguaro cactus (Arizona desert) last year, NEVER FLY WITH FRIENDS DISTRACTING YOU!!!), after $700US  repair bill,  got it back from local dealer AS NEW.

"This I2 had issues from day one. Out of the box it was unstable, flying in wider and wider circles and often lost GPS" Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I'd return it after this experience.

I immediately chatted with support and they told me to calibrate IMU and compass. I was not told to return it. After  calibration it was much better, but it did lose GPS for a few seconds, days after, one more time. Had I been told to return it. I would have done so. I thought, given the suggestion, that it was a known / common issue.
2017-3-17
Use props
Elektrica
First Officer
  • >>>
Italy

DJI-BladeStrike Posted at 2017-3-17 10:32
Please understand that you would have to have incredible amounts of power.. The power to weight ratio on something like the inspire would get you only a few min of flight... If you want true redundancy you must have more than 4 rotors. Even with 6, if you don't have enough power, weak batteries or running a very heavy setup she will come down..

Its all about power to weight ratios..

Would be nice to see a test
2017-3-17
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
lvl.4
United States

vibrating I2

I agree with the resonance vibration comment above.  This isn't good at all!  That front left motor at 36 secs. looks like it is about to rip the arms off.  That pulsating doesn't sound good either.

Odd the other who posted their video looks like the left front broke off too on their drone that crashed.

Something isn't right here if these are coming apart in flight from excess vibration.
2017-3-17
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Second Officer
United States

LICENSED PILOT Posted at 2017-3-17 11:56
My P3P froze a motor last year at 30M , applied full throttle (not sure that did anything) and the quad corckscrewed all the way down but did appear to do so at less than full gravity. Minor damage.

Interesting , I think in some cases it can make it down with minimal damage ( and you of course proved that ).  It is strange that all of a sudden their have been at least 4 cases posted about the Inspire 2 loosing a motor or prop ( still not 100% sure of the cause ) and going in .  I am thinking that early prop issue may be the culprit  or a failing ESC in one of the motors .  Very scary when you have that kind of money in the air .

I have always said flying RC  systems  that cost  about 4- 5000 thousand  dollars  that this is the point it can stop being fun . Instead of enjoying the flights in the back of your mind you are thinking, "  If this thing goes in I am going to be sick about it  for a month ."

donnie
2017-3-18
Use props
Viper Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 31644 ft
United States

VERY SICK if it lands on some ones head!!!
2017-3-18
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
lvl.4
United States

vibrating I2

That pulsating prop sound, where the thing violently shakes in the video, seems to occur when the legs are up.  Does something loosen when the legs are in the up position someplace?  Does seem the resonant vibration could rip the I2 apart.

If anything is gleaned out of this video, if I ever hear that sound I'll know to ground it immediately.
2017-3-18
Use props
Viper Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 31644 ft
United States

There is absolutely some thing wrong with how that bird is flying when the legs are in the up position.   Not sure what is wrong but I would recomment checking the following things just to help our data base on the I2.

First, check if the red props (especially the forward one) is tight as per many of the previous discussions on this subject.  If it's lose, then try some of the temporary 'fixes' to tighten it up and try your little hovering test again and see if you notice ant difference.
Second, check to make sure all the I2 legs are snug and don't have any rotational play.  If they do, tighten the small set screws on each leg to fix that.
Third, it sounded like it may have been kinda windy when you made your video.  Try the test again in very calm conditions to see if the apparent oscillation may have been induced by yhe flight control system as it tried to compensate for the wind.

I really have no idea what is causing that flight behavior but you might get some useful trouble shooting info and I would definitely not fly that thing very far acting like that!
2017-3-18
Use props
Runi
lvl.3
  • >>>
Denmark

I am absolutely not spending any time on this drone, its NOT mine, this is NOT the drone i bought. DJI swapped mine out with this one when it was in for repair. Of course they said nothing thinking I would not notice But they forgot to move my Prores/DNG licenses over, I had also made note of the serial number before I shipped it and last but not least I hade placed registration stickers on mine (regulations for registered pilots)..
So this sick bird is going back and I am waiting for a new (not refurbished) I2 as replacement.

But to answer some of the concerns, the propellers fit nicely and there is nothing that indicates that this bird should behave like that. There is some play in the hub but that is from the locking mechanism (i thing my original drone had the same slug). But my guess is that there is something geometrically wrong with it... I base that on the fact that it behaves normally when you lower the legs. But only during the time it lowers, when they are down it partially resurfaces. If I rev it up and ascend it also begins to sound more normal but I can hear that there is much strain on the frame and there is small/fine  vibration to be seen in the footage every now and then.
I just hope this drone does not make it back into curculation

Regarding the wind the day I filmed it, it was actually not that windy, its just my mic that did not have any cover and it catches easily a slight breaze.
2017-3-18
Use props
fanse186c04e
lvl.4
Flight distance : 26170253 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

sorry to hear this!.

Can you tell us the software version you did have on all the stuff?

Thank you

Vince
2017-3-18
Use props
Elektrica
First Officer
  • >>>
Italy

I cannot recall, but it was the one prior to the current one.
2017-3-18
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules