PC Ground Station and Bluetooth
3229 9 2015-2-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
disco4wd
lvl.1

Australia

Spent the last several of hours installing the 2.4Ghz Datalink in my Phantom 2 (with miniOSD) and it worked via the usb cable straight off.
most of the time wasted trying to get the bluetooth side of things to work... without success.
I assume now that the bluetooth function is not designed to work with the PC version of Ground Station !! Hell. I can't even see the bluetooth device let alone get it to work with the program!!
Is this right?
... I've just got a steady red led on the BT device and a steady red and slow flashing green led on the ground side Datalink.

2015-2-23
Use props
Observer
lvl.1

Australia

Bluetooth is for the iPad only.
2015-2-23
Use props
disco4wd
lvl.1

Australia

Observer Posted at 2015-2-24 10:51
Bluetooth is for the iPad only.

why would dji have bluetooth for ipad only?
dji.... last time I checked, microsoft had around 83% of the worlds OS.
amazingly... pc's do have bluetooth as well !!
It would be nice if dji could spend some of their massive profits to at least write some informative user manuals instead of leaving their customers floundering around in the dark trying to work out if things are supposed to work or not. This company, considering its size and market, is so unprofessional.
2015-2-23
Use props
Observer
lvl.1

Australia

disco4wd Posted at 2015-2-24 13:19
dji.... last time I checked, microsoft had around 83%  ...

Yes I was lucky I bought from a reseller who knows what he is talking about and has good customer service. My advice to anyone would be to buy from a good hobby shop that deals largely with RC and give DJI a miss.
2015-2-23
Use props
DJI-Cathy
lvl.4

Hong Kong

disco4wd Posted at 2015-2-24 13:19
dji.... last time I checked, microsoft had around 83%  ...

The bluetooth is for ipad only, which is listed on our DJI official website, you may have a look
http://www.dji.com/cn/product/ipad-ground-station
2015-2-26
Use props
nig_smith
Second Officer

United Kingdom

The Bluetooth adaptor supplied with the Groundstation uses Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) and Bluetooth Smart Ready (4.0 and above) technologies. Unless the host can support these standards the software will not recognise the device. As an example I have both an iPod Touch 4th Generation and an iPad Air but the Bluetooth adaptor supplied with the Groundstation isn't recognised by the iPod Touch as it doesn't support these newer Bluetooth standards.
One big advantage of using the PC GS is that you don't need to use a separate power supply for the Datalink Ground Element as you use the 5V USB port to power it and you'll never lose connection as often happens with the Bluetooth adaptor due to its limited range.

Regards

Nidge
2015-2-27
Use props
jonybe9.gmail
lvl.1

Portugal

I think DJI is very limited, we want Android software.
I have the  best tablet around and cannot use it with my grounstation.
I´m not a sheep dji
2015-2-27
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11099 ft
United States

Why use Bluetooth with a PC anyway? The datalink has to have a way of communicating with the air side and you can't connect USB to an IPad. If you are fortunate enough to have an IPad with Bluetooth 4.0 then you can use the BTU unit.
2015-3-15
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11099 ft
United States

nig_smith@o2.co Posted at 2015-2-27 19:19
The Bluetooth adaptor supplied with the Groundstation uses Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) and Bluetooth  ...

Have you successfully used the PC version without it disconnecting? I gave up and went to the IPad GS and it works much better. With the PC version I could have the Phantom 200 meters away and upload a mission. As soon as you power up and fly it disconnects. I realize if something is blocking the signal path there would be a reason for a disconnect but not in plain line of site.
2015-3-23
Use props
nig_smith
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Raybro Posted at 2015-3-24 03:51
Have you successfully used the PC version without it disconnecting? I gave up and went to the IPad ...

I'm sorry, Ray, but I haven't used the PC GS in anger since last year when they updated the software with the flight restrictions. Thankfully I didn't update the iPad APP as I live and fly, quite legally I'll add, within one of these non-existent restricted areas.

The issue you are experiencing with disconnection might be due to the height of the ground unit's antenna.  When I'm using the iPad I'll either mount the unit to the back of the tablet or on a simple telescopic pole at 10ft in height. When I used the PC I used the same pole and connected the ground element via a 5m USB cable.

You can also experiment with antenna placement on the craft to reduce unwanted interaction between the Ground Station and regular 2.4GHz receivers. I fly a F550 hex and have the FrSky receiver's antennas at one side and on top of the craft and the groundstation's receivers on the opposite side and underneath the craft. With this setup I've flown out to 1km, in a controlled environment, without losing connection with the Groundstation or the regular 2.4GHz control.

Regards

Nidge
2015-3-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules