Drone pilot fined and going to jail

https://www.engadget.com/2017/02 ... cious-30-days-jail/
2017-3-3
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

He got off easy.  30 days (he'll be let out in less) and a few dollars fine?  If that had happened in the litigious State of California, Paul would be hit with a Felony and subject to millions in civil court.
2017-3-3
Use props
Airobotix
lvl.4
Flight distance : 357310 ft
United Kingdom

Hope he's got public liability insurance. Having said that, it's a bloody harsh outcome for him.
2017-3-3
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

That is what I have talking been about all a long. SAFETY FIRST, FUN COMES SECOND!

Do NOT act STUPID, do NOT fly over a crowd, do NOT fly recklessly and check cities' laws before you fly!

Help keep our hobby/profession safe from additional restrictions!
2017-3-3
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.3
Flight distance : 451335 ft
United States

nothing new. Folks have gotten in trouble for reckless RC flying LONG before DJI came to be
2017-3-3
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
Second Officer
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

dronist Posted at 2017-3-3 09:12
That is what I have talking about all a long. SAFETY FIRST, FUN COMES SECOND!

Do NOT act STUPID, do NOT fly over a crowd, do NOT fly recklessly and check cities' laws before you fly!

Talk all you want, but stop telling others what to do, look after your own business. Oh and remember everyone if you speed in your car they will ban them all - lol
2017-3-3
Use props
garnets88
lvl.2
Flight distance : 286611 ft
United States

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2017-3-3 09:51
Talk all you want, but stop telling others what to do, look after your own business. Oh and remember everyone if you speed in your car they will ban them all - lol

He was just giving a suggestion.
2017-3-3
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.3
United States

good thing he had a drone and not a RC helicopter

2017-3-3
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
Second Officer
United Kingdom

garnets88 Posted at 2017-3-3 10:04

Most people don't SHOUT suggestions. Suggesting the blatantly obvious is rude and insulting. But I'm not going to argue semantics with you.

Fun first, safety 4th or 5th at the most.
2017-3-3
Use props
Airobotix
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Fun first, safety 4th.......really?
2017-3-3
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
Second Officer
United Kingdom

fans90d4f438 Posted at 2017-3-3 10:09
good thing he had a drone and not a RC helicopter

I don't get it, you see the accident, nothing 'gruesome' about it, no blood, no head coming off, the guy looked ok. Other reports were saying he chopped half his skull off and cut open his neck.

0:52 he hasn't even reached for his head or neck, just looks a bit dazed and a soar back.
1:53 crash site, no blood, no bits of skull, nothing

Odd - fake news?
2017-3-3
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.3
United States

thats not the actual video of the accident.
Not fake news at all

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ ... rol-helicopter.html
https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=fe7_1384461499&comments=1
2017-3-3
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.3
United States

but point being...RC accidents have occurred for DECADES. People act like drones suddenly started it all
2017-3-3
Use props
FrequentFlyer
lvl.4
United States

Im guessing it was pilot error or was there a malfunction?
2017-3-3
Use props
dana5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14354 ft
United States

Old news... It was an Inspire 1, if I recall... Mostly, they were making an example of him, like the person who crashed into a building, over some event, and the drone hit a woman in the head, knocking her out. The lesson to be learned here is don't fly stupidly.
2017-3-3
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
Second Officer
United Kingdom

fans90d4f438 Posted at 2017-3-3 10:47
thats not the actual video of the accident.
Not fake news at all

Ah ok, why is it there then, misleading rubbish.

Daily Mail - roflmao, when I need a dump I will print that page out and use it for the only purpose it's good for
2017-3-3
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Airobotix Posted at 2017-3-3 10:43
Fun first, safety 4th.......really?

Well, maybe, on a good day if you're really lucky, but usually it's the last I think about.
2017-3-3
Use props
Airobotix
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Fair enough, but I bet you'd be the first to bleat about being mown down by a wayward skater, or, God forbid, an even more wayward RC heli or drone.
2017-3-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2017-3-3 10:58
Ah ok, why is it there then, misleading rubbish.

Daily Mail - roflmao, when I need a dump I will print that page out and use it for the only purpose it's good for

Was this you having fun first. Lol

2017-3-3
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Airobotix Posted at 2017-3-3 11:04
Fair enough, but I bet you'd be the first to bleat about being mown down by a wayward skater, or, God forbid, an even more wayward RC heli or drone.

Well, you've lost that bet. I don't hang around skate parks and I doubt a skater could 'mow' me down, I'm sure they'll hit the ground long before me.

Now you're talking about God, so that's the end of that conversation, but if I saw a heli or drone flying I'll keep a look out for myself thanks, aware of your surroundings and ready to respond.
2017-3-3
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
Second Officer
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-3-3 11:06
Was this you having fun first. Lol

https://youtu.be/79-4EvRKjW4

Cute dog, probably thinking "I thought we were going for a walk, I'm going to kill that thing and then we can go"

But I do have to admit that the safety of my dog is quite high up, they don't know what drones are, tiny brains only thinking about food and shagging so they need a little help and protection.
2017-3-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2017-3-3 11:42
Cute dog, probably thinking "I thought we were going for a walk, I'm going to kill that thing and then we can go"

But I do have to admit that the safety of my dog is quite high up, they don't know what drones are, tiny brains only thinking about food and shagging so they need a little help and protection.

When my drone comes out, dog goes in, he can't be arsed..
2017-3-3
Use props
garnets88
lvl.2
United States

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2017-3-3 10:36
Most people don't SHOUT suggestions. Suggesting the blatantly obvious is rude and insulting. But I'm not going to argue semantics with you.

Fun first, safety 4th or 5th at the most.

Are you serious? Teach that to your kids. Tell them to have fun and not to worry about safety.
2017-3-3
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

He was too busy putting on lip balm

I don't know what he was thinking flying over a crowd like that. It was almost 100% chance he would hit someone in a accident, no reason to feel sorry for him. Should have gave him 60 days in Atlanta prison.

Flying over a busy highway or street to, crossing it horizontally is least risk if you have to get over. But you see videos all the time people hovering over a freeway or flying over it with traffic under. It's just numbskulls. It sounds mean, but if you want to rain drones on peoples head, they going to pound your rear! (in prison)
2017-3-3
Use props
Airobotix
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2017-3-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

thehippoz Posted at 2017-3-3 11:55
He was too busy putting on lip balm

I don't know what he was thinking flying over a crowd like that. It was almost 100% chance he would hit someone in a accident, no reason to feel sorry for him. Should have gave him 60 days in Atlanta prison.

Yeah and usually sitting on there porch, with VLOS to their tablet.
2017-3-3
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
Second Officer
United Kingdom

garnets88 Posted at 2017-3-3 11:53
Are you serious? Teach that to your kids. Tell them to have fun and not to worry about safety.

Thank you for the parenting advice, and yes I will teach them not to be scared of the world, they'll take risks and push the boundaries otherwise you'll have a very boring dull life. Quality over quantity. Not going to waste time worrying about what ifs.

Scientists think it may be genetic, some of us are programmed to seek out and take risks, some are programmed to be safe and avoid danger. It was probably essential during our early evolution.
2017-3-3
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2017-3-3
Use props
Airobotix
lvl.4
United Kingdom

"....It was probably essential during our early evolution...." Oh dear, there plentiful examples of sub species that have stalled in their "early evolution", let me see if I can think of a good example........
2017-3-3
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Airobotix Posted at 2017-3-3 12:18
"....It was probably essential during our early evolution...." Oh dear, there plentiful examples of sub species that have stalled in their "early evolution", let me see if I can think of a good example........

You gave up thinking of a good example? Couldn't think of one? You would have been better off not posting rather than looking like a fool who can't even complete his own sentence.

And I don't think god botherers should be debating evolution, he won't like it. lol
2017-3-3
Use props
Airobotix
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I was hoping the blanks would be filled in, but evolution is obviously not all it's cracked up to be in some instances. As Mark Twain famously remarked "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
2017-3-3
Use props
garnets88
lvl.2
United States

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2017-3-3 12:13
Thank you for the parenting advice, and yes I will teach them not to be scared of the world, they'll take risks and push the boundaries otherwise you'll have a very boring dull life. Quality over quantity. Not going to waste time worrying about what ifs.

Scientists think it may be genetic, some of us are programmed to seek out and take risks, some are programmed to be safe and avoid danger. It was probably essential during our early evolution.

ROFL.. not gonna argue mate.. Have all the fun in the world and push boundaries.. Good luck..
Just don't hurt others when you are having fun with your drone.
2017-3-3
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Airobotix Posted at 2017-3-3 13:06
I was hoping the blanks would be filled in, but evolution is obviously not all it's cracked up to be in some instances. As Mark Twain famously remarked "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."

Exactly, you should have kept your mouth shut instead of throwing around petty insults and making yourself look stupid.

It's taken us from swinging around in the trees to flying drones, can't be that bad.
2017-3-3
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
Second Officer
United Kingdom

garnets88 Posted at 2017-3-3 13:34
ROFL.. not gonna argue mate.. Have all the fun in the world and push boundaries.. Good luck..
Just don't hurt others when you are having fun with your drone.

I'll try not to, don't want to hurt anyone, may break a prop or worse rip the gimbal off {:4_181:}

If your face breaks my drone, I want compensation.
2017-3-3
Use props
garnets88
lvl.2
United States

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2017-3-3 13:49
I'll try not to, don't want to hurt anyone, may break a prop or worse rip the gimbal off

If your face breaks my drone, I want compensation.

haha.......
2017-3-3
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2017-3-3 09:51

Alternative facts warning!!!   {:4_177:} ...

So you complain about me telling people what to do, so why are you telling me what to do or NOT???

Let's go over what you are proclaiming to be your much thought after message of wisdom that you are spreading here:

"If you speed in your car they will ban them all LOL"

First I never said BAN instead I said RESTRICTIONS.

If you speed in your car they will give you a speeding ticket and if you keep collecting speeding what will they do?, TAKE IT AWAY FROM YOU.

If you speed in your car and hit someone and that person dies that is called "VEHICULAR HOMICIDE" and you end up in jail for a "LOOOOONG TIME" which will be beneficial to the drone community and this forum.

You will also be sued under civil court and they will clean up your BANK ACCOUNT IF YOU HAVE ONE.

2017-3-3
Use props
SteveDickin
Second Officer
Flight distance : 776007 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I can imagine the forums when the very first cars were hitting the roads, pretty much like these forums I guess.
2017-3-3
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

garnets88 Posted at 2017-3-3 10:04

Hey Garnets,

Don't bother people like him give the drone community a really bad name.

We say SAFETY FIRST, FUN SECOND!

He says, fun first, safety is whatever...

That really show us how well educated he is about action and consequences!
2017-3-3
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Airobotix Posted at 2017-3-3 11:57
Oh well, I guess you can't educate pork.

Hey wait a minute now... you are absolutely wrong here... You are comparing PORK to that???  

Pork are smart and they are definitely smarter than you know who up...

I suspect, a lot of this and a lot of that, went into his drink last night and he is out of it...
2017-3-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

SteveDickin Posted at 2017-3-3 15:36
I can imagine the forums when the very first cars were hitting the roads, pretty much like these forums I guess.

There were forums even before that,

In the 1950's the London city council met to discuss the amount of horse s**t on the roads of the city of London.
One councillor stood up and said that if something was not done to control this that by 1965 every street in the city and every road leading into London would be completely clogged with horse S**t., even then nobody had envisaged how motor cars would take over from the horse..
2017-3-3
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules