Micro SD Cards
2981 5 2017-3-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Juni0r
lvl.1
United States

Hey guys, what's up. It's me again a "Newbie" with a question...

I want to get a good SD card for my Mavic Pro I have been looking around and doing some research and came down with two cards that I'm looking at, or maybe you could shed a bit of light on one of these or maybe you can suggest one for me..

Lexar Professional 1800x 64GB — up to 270MB/s read, 250MB/s write

or

SanDisk Extreme PRO 64GB — up to 275MB/s read, 100MB/s write

I want to get the best card to get the full benefits of the drone. If someone here with better experience, could help me out please let me know. Thanks!

2017-3-3
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

The fastest you need to be is the fastest the Mavic can write to the card, which is 60 mbps. The only advantage to getting a faster card is for the read time.
2017-3-3
Use props
Daroga
First Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

Of those two cards, go with the SanDisk Extreme Pro....

DJI ships the Lexar 633x with their consumer drones, so consider it the baseline. You need an SD Card as fast or faster than this baseline card. Write speed is the more important characteristic.

As Ex Machina points out, the max data transfer rate for writing video/photos is 60mbps (60mbps = 7.5 MB/s), so ensure your cards write data above this rate.

Take a look at this excellent & fairly current article by David Coleman -> HaveCameraWillTravel Article titled The Fastest MicroSD Cardsl

SD Card vendors constantly change and manipulate card branding, so always pay attention to product numbers more so than names, and always buy your cards from reputable sources. Bootleg mis-labled SDCards are unfortunately out there in the market...

I've reproduced the article SD Card data summary for the benefit of forum users, but by all means take a look at his article!
SDCards.png

2017-3-3
Use props
Juni0r
lvl.1
United States

Daroga Posted at 2017-3-3 10:59
Of those two cards, go with the SanDisk Extreme Pro....

DJI ships the Lexar 633x with their consumer drones, so consider it the baseline. You need an SD Card as fast or faster than this baseline card. Write speed is the more important characteristic.

Thank you so much for the input...!
2017-3-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Juni0r Posted at 2017-3-3 11:33
Thank you so much for the input...!

Sandisk extreme pro 64gb, you can't go wrong..
2017-3-3
Use props
GMG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3632605 ft
France

Another thing to keep in mind is sizes. I use a maximum size of 32GB and have multiple cards that I swap out when I change batteries.  That means that if I have a mishap, then I'm still more likely to have some footage, rather than losing the whole day's filming. And the other day I did something stupid that I never thought I'd do — I mistakenly reformatted a card before extracting the video to my laptop (and, of course, I thought it was the smoothest footage I'd ever taken ). Fortunately I didn't lose too much footage though, as a result of containing cards to one-per-flight.
2017-3-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules