123Next >
16319 85 2017-3-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
poliakov
lvl.2
Flight distance : 94639 ft
United States

So, in conclusion. Yes, my problem was fixed, partially; we could say mostly. Unfortunately it took over 1 month as opposed to the "couple of weeks" estimate. The part I think was most frustrating is the silence and lack of information from DJI. A simple google search for "Mavic Blurry Edge" would suggest that the problem is widespread enough that DJI is familiar with it. But I never got an explanation from them. That kind of secrecy creates a competitive relationship between a business and their customers. It's a common 20th century business behavior pattern that I really would like to go away.

The folks who designed the Mavic are top notch engineers. Really well done. The folks who manufactured the cameras may have, possibly, "cut some corners" if you will . But whoever made the decision not to be more open with customers about the lens issue - I think that was a bad decision that created a lot of customer frustration. I would be much happier if they said "we made a mistake, here's the description of the problem, it will take a month to fix." Honesty matters. I think it matters even more than product quality; to me anyways.

So - despite how awesome the goggles look - I'm not sure that I want to buy them until I see a shift towards more openness in DJI's policy. I've also recently decided to make a small investment in GoPro stock - but this experience wasn't the only reason, so that's somewhat of a broader issue. At any rate, cheers and thanks for reading.
2017-5-6
Use props
FastBlinker
New
Flight distance : 24862 ft
Italy

Still waiting for DJI to move along been stuck on conducting damage assessment since last week   even if the site says the evaluation will take 2 business days and to be patient. Just hope they send me back one that doesn't have the defect, really sucks financing €1500 and not having my new tool for weeks now.
2017-5-9
Use props
FastBlinker
New
Flight distance : 24862 ft
Italy

Today I got an email from DJI that my Mavic is being repaired  for blurry image Can't wait to get it back.
2017-5-10
Use props
Igordur
lvl.4
Flight distance : 620696 ft
France

Thank you for these explanations, it's very clear.
Unfortunately, I have the same problem...
2017-5-25
Use props
fans1114f674
lvl.1
Flight distance : 203176 ft
United States

Sent my faulty mavic back. 35 days later got it back, supposedly repaired and flight tested! Wasn't even the same mavic and had to rebind remote! How can a unit that hasn't been linked have been fligjt tested? Face it folks, the mavic camera is garbage!
2017-5-25
Use props
Andy Engel
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1446650 ft
United States

fans1114f674 Posted at 2017-5-25 16:15
Sent my faulty mavic back. 35 days later got it back, supposedly repaired and flight tested! Wasn't even the same mavic and had to rebind remote! How can a unit that hasn't been linked have been fligjt tested? Face it folks, the mavic camera is garbage!

According to the s/n, what's your build date? According to the one they are shipping to me I'm seeing 4/11.
2017-5-25
Use props
Konstantinos_an
Banned
Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-6-11
Use props
Konstantinos_an
Banned
Germany

2017-6-11
Use props
noob
lvl.2

Singapore

Just found this thread.  I have the exact same problem on my 2nd mavic, which I bought only 3 days ago, and tested yesterday.  It left me really disheartened.  The first mavic had no discernible issues, but the focus issue on the 2nd was as obvious as poliakov's.  And the only reason I bought my 2nd was because I had a bad crash on the 1st.  You never think getting a defective product would happen to you, but this seems to validate the thinking by some that getting a correctly functioning mavic is like throwing dice.  Now, I face the same dilemma : to send my brand new mavic back to DJI and risk getting a refurbished set in return or to just live with it.
2017-6-11
Use props
fansa9d6ce63
Banned

United States

2017-6-23
Use props
fansa9d6ce63
Banned

United States

2017-6-23
Use props
fans40ac8f6e
lvl.1
Flight distance : 71086 ft
Australia

I got my mavic yesterday and I have noticed the issue...

I guess Ill log a ticket with DJI and get it fixed..

2017-6-23
Use props
RCNJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 114665 ft
France

fans40ac8f6e Posted at 2017-6-23 23:38

I'll check mine today, if it's same I'm not sending to DJI as it's 2 weeks old, I'll just send back to amazon as defective and get a full refund, I'm getting tired of all these bugs on a 1K device, new firmware concentrates on spark and goggles says it all, well DJI concentrate on your mavic camera on the higher priced drone and anything re firmware needed to improve, new to this craft but all these things cause me to not want to drive out and waste 20 mins on poor footage, I'll see what today brings as too many things on this are cropping up, when that happens you lose confidence/don't fly as much...... I hope it improves or I'll return and get something else.
To the guy banging on about Chinese this and that, wtf are you talking about ? It's a product, if it's faulty send it back, and keep doing that as amazon/other retailers getting back may get action on any fixes done quicker
2017-6-23
Use props
RCNJ
lvl.4
France

I buy from amazon for everything as they have a very good return/replace or refund policy, I'm not going to send in a 2 week old unit for fix and wait weeks and "might" get one back that's done more motor hours..I'd rather take the chance on a replacement new and hope it's better etc.
2017-6-24
Use props
fansa9d6ce63
Banned

United States

2017-6-24
Use props
fansa9d6ce63
Banned

United States

2017-6-24
Use props
fansa9d6ce63
Banned

United States

2017-6-24
Use props
fansa9d6ce63
Banned

United States

2017-6-24
Use props
DhiAn
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3343 ft
United Kingdom

fans40ac8f6e Posted at 2017-6-23 23:38

Pretty much the same issue I had. I would suggest return for a refund/replacement as early as possible. Fortunately, I'm lucky to get a replacement without this issue and now I can concentrate on taking photos.
2017-6-24
Use props
RCNJ
lvl.4
France

DhiAn Posted at 2017-6-24 06:39
Pretty much the same issue I had. I would suggest return for a refund/replacement as early as possible. Fortunately, I'm lucky to get a replacement without this issue and now I can concentrate on taking photos.

Yeah it's a shame but mines going back to amazon, it's great fun but for 1K the video quality is poor, I'll see if the replacement is any better, if not I'll look into alternative options. Shame really but I'm not wasting time on blurry footage.
2017-6-24
Use props
RoomierPanda
lvl.3
Flight distance : 187595 ft
  • >>>
United States

fansa9d6ce63 Posted at 2017-6-24 00:56
ITS CALLED A LEMON LAW....
YOU MORON...YOU MUST BE ASIAN SUPPRTING A CHINA COMPANY...
AND COVER UP THE DUST AND LET CHINA STEAL MONEY FROM THE AMERICAN CONSUMER WITH LIES AND DECEPTION ABOUT A DEFECTIVE LEMON PRODUCT!  REGARDLESS IF TS A AIRCRAFT TOY OR CAR, OR ETC..

You are an embarrassing, racist loser, acting like a 12 year old with an anger problem.
Just FYI.
2017-6-24
Use props
madmaxxed7
lvl.1
United States

I can't tell if I'm seeing the same issues. Possibly on some photos. Can someone confirm if I'm experiencing the same?

IMG_4336.JPG
IMG_4340.JPG
2017-6-24
Use props
Mike Mas
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Regretfully, Pilots have to accept the fact that when you return your Mavic to hopefully get this focus issue fixed - there is nobody at their facility that is going to tear into to optics of the camera and fix anything! Each tech has a limited amount of time allocated to get the machine back off the table to make room for the thousands of other returns waiting. We all know the story about getting anything fixed quick at DJI.

DJI Repair is nothing other than a "part changers facility" where they pull a replacement off a shelf and replace parts - If that does not work, they replace the entire machine, but chances are; the replacement will have the same problem. More than likely, every Mavic manufactured has this same "Out Of Focus" problem, some to a degree worse than others.  There is two choices now; deal with it or just dump it and wait for something better in the future.  

While we are all entitled to have a camera that can focus - let's not lose scope of the design - The Mavic is not a High-End production platform. I like to call hobby machines like the Mavic a "Blue Sky- Green Grass" platform.  This means you'll get good images and videos within the limits of its design. Since no one is going to use the machine for a close up portrait of the Principle's face on a shoot, or in fact anything that requires perfect detail, you might be reading more into this than is there. It's a great platform for the price with amazing capability but its not going to replace or compete with a high-end production drones, with cameras and optic's that cost more than a Corvette.  

While we can all sit here and visualize the death and find errors out of a still - During "Real Life" scenic shots with the machine moving, no one is going to flag the video as "Out Of Focus" there is just too much happening visually with movement to really see the error.  For stills - the work around is; to keep the subject matter as much "center frame" as possible,  keep in mind viewers rarely look at the images frame to find detail or subject matter unless its an ENG news shot.

Best Regards - Mike
2017-6-25
Use props
fans40ac8f6e
lvl.1
Australia

Mike, once seen cannot be unseen. Its a fault and its not a cheap product. The standard you walk past, is the standard you accept.

I have requested a refund.
2017-6-25
Use props
RCNJ
lvl.4
France

madmaxxed7 Posted at 2017-6-24 18:15
I can't tell if I'm seeing the same issues. Possibly on some photos. Can someone confirm if I'm experiencing the same?

Madmaxxed - yours is sharper/clearer than anything I've recorded or taken stills off, so I know mines defo got a problem, yours looks sharp, I'm not sure if saturation is the blame for the muddy trees? It seems greens are hard to get right....

Mike - Pilots expect a camera that's in focus..... if you bought a 4K video recorder and it didn't do the job you would send it back, it's a 1K drone, not 2-400..... I don't class it as a toy, if I wanted a toy I'd buy the spark.

2017-6-25
Use props
vinnyhofx
lvl.2
Flight distance : 563264 ft
Canada

Wow, this thread has been "amazing" to read.

I'm also fighting a little to improve the focus of my pictures. Here's one I took yesterday. What do you guys think in terms of focus? When zooming on sections in the corners, it does get blurry. However, at 100m in the air, I'm not sure it should be sharper.

Picture specs:
Shot in RAW (DNG) exported in JPEG with Lightroom (didn't do any edits)
Shot w/ PolarPro ND Filter (ND8)

DJI_0028-2.jpg
2017-6-25
Use props
RCNJ
lvl.4
France

vinnyhofx Posted at 2017-6-25 10:36
Wow, this thread has been "amazing" to read.

I'm also fighting a little to improve the focus of my pictures. Here's one I took yesterday. What do you guys think in terms of focus? When zooming on sections in the corners, it does get blurry. However, at 100m in the air, I'm not sure it should be sharper.

TBH that looks great what color and sharpness etc were you on pal ?
I took this top one trying to get all in focus but no matter what I tried trees left and right side just wouldn't....yep it's over a bit but at all ranges it wouldn't.
Then I took bottom one with my iPhone

IMG_0549.JPG
IMG_0550.JPG
2017-6-25
Use props
Mike Mas
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

I'm not disagreeing guys, the camera should be right there is no excuse - regretfully as of now there does now seem to be a fix and the warranty clock is ticking!

By the way, the entire Mavic image looks at of focus are you sure you focused it?

Regards - Mike
2017-6-25
Use props
vinnyhofx
lvl.2
Flight distance : 563264 ft
Canada

Mike Mas Posted at 2017-6-25 18:31
I'm not disagreeing guys, the camera should be right there is no excuse - regretfully as of now there does now seem to be a fix and the warranty clock is ticking!

By the way, the entire Mavic image looks at of focus are you sure you focused it?

Which image are you referring to? Mine or RCNJ?
2017-6-26
Use props
RCNJ
lvl.4
France

Mike Mas Posted at 2017-6-25 18:31

If I tapped anymore for focus I would have damaged my screen yes clicked to focus many times on mine, the iPhone example seems to have more in focus...Ps only had mine 2 weeks new from amazon, so I'm seeing if any update comes to fix it, if not I'll send back to them and hopefully new replacement will be ok....(I just know what's coming lol)
2017-6-26
Use props
DroneyMcDronefa
lvl.2
Flight distance : 11283 ft
United States

Got my mavic last week.
Same out of focus on the right-hand side as I see others have.  
Boxed it up and sent it back this morning.
Bought on Amazon, I will reorder another and see if its the same.
Mine wasn't as bad as others, but I could notice it. And its a $1k drone.....being out of focus just didn't seem right at that price point.  
Mine had a 4/2017 build date....so its still a current problem for them.
Will need to be refunded, and reorder a replacement. Going to be a week or two....(Im sad).
Fingers crossed the next one is a keeper.
2017-6-26
Use props
RCNJ
lvl.4
France

DroneyMcDronefa Posted at 2017-6-26 12:56
Got my mavic last week.
Same out of focus on the right-hand side as I see others have.  
Boxed it up and sent it back this morning.

yeah i checked mine and it was from amazon also and had a manufacture of March 2017, i'm hoping amazon have a new batch and any being sent back out due to this are used from new stock not old etc
2017-6-26
Use props
fans79a9d393
lvl.1
United States

Mike Mas Posted at 2017-6-25 04:20
Regretfully, Pilots have to accept the fact that when you return your Mavic to hopefully get this focus issue fixed - there is nobody at their facility that is going to tear into to optics of the camera and fix anything! Each tech has a limited amount of time allocated to get the machine back off the table to make room for the thousands of other returns waiting. We all know the story about getting anything fixed quick at DJI.

DJI Repair is nothing other than a "part changers facility" where they pull a replacement off a shelf and replace parts - If that does not work, they replace the entire machine, but chances are; the replacement will have the same problem. More than likely, every Mavic manufactured has this same "Out Of Focus" problem, some to a degree worse than others.  There is two choices now; deal with it or just dump it and wait for something better in the future.  

This is very true statement. I have seen videos made by pros where everyone is saying, great work!
It is great work and they are generally people with a talent for composition and they usually also have post production skills and equipment/software for this etc.
Funny thing is, even though these are excellent videos made with Mavic, I can still see areas out of focus on right side usually, with rest of frame clear. Most people just don't notice and an exceptionally made and produced video will make up for this bit of flaw.
I bought Mavic from Amazon and I noticed the blurry parts on right side so I double checked, did all the trouble shooting people mention here, did several of the "brick wall tests" and decided to return Mavic for a replacement. The replacement had the issue worse than the first one I sent back! I did brick wall test with my $150 dollar cell phone and it was better than either Mavics.
I guess one has to consider the Mavic drone, even with this undesirable flaw is pretty much still a good deal for the price when one considers it's capabilities. I could not piece together myself a drone that could match it's flight capabilities for anything near the price.
Now I am contemplating sending the Mavic back for refund and going with Phantom 4 pro instead. This is a difficult decision but I figure if they come out with a Mavic 2 pro in the future then maybe I will try it out hoping the camera is improved.  I am worried I will send this Mavic back and get yet another with same issue and it's just a bit of a waste of time fretting about it, testing everything again etc., etc.
2017-6-26
Use props
fans40ac8f6e
lvl.1
Australia

"Now I am contemplating sending the Mavic back for refund and going with Phantom 4 pro instead. This is a difficult decision but I figure if they come out with a Mavic 2 pro in the future then maybe I will try it out hoping the camera is improved.  I am worried I will send this Mavic back and get yet another with same issue and it's just a bit of a waste of time fretting about it, testing everything again etc., etc."

Agreed.
2017-6-26
Use props
MDL
lvl.1
Flight distance : 23091 ft
Australia

Sorry. How do you tell the build date? Only had mine for a week and have had the VPS sensor play up so the drone just kept going up and up. Now I will check this tomorrow as it's still inside 7 days of purchase so it's a straight swap.
2017-6-27
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

fans1114f674 Posted at 2017-5-25 16:15

Presumably it would have been linked to the tester's RC.
2017-6-27
Use props
DroneyMcDronefa
lvl.2
Flight distance : 11283 ft
United States

Shipped mine back yesterday, it was received this morning at amazon. Soon as I get the refund, I will order another and post back results.
2017-6-27
Use props
HKFEVER
lvl.1
Hong Kong

Konstantinos_an Posted at 2017-6-11 17:58
I posted a similar commenf in another thread. Dji should issue an official recall and not wait for the buyers to do the QC testing for them! 2nd unit returned today (bought on Amazon.de) and order cancelled. I paid 1.200 euros for having sharp 4K not uneven blur. I strongly believe that Dji has absolutely no control about the affected serial numbers. Furthermore, new batches exhibit the same problem, meaning that it costs them less to fix the drones to the people complaining than resolving the issue at factory level. This is really a shame. The funny thing is I am in the market for a Medium Format camera, I was thinking about Hasselblad but now that it was acquired by Dji, no thanks, I will go for the Fuji. I really hope that Dji's reputation gets a blow so they learn what customer expectations management is...

DJI won't, they are Chinese from Mainland China.  Not Hong Kong
2017-6-28
Use props
HKFEVER
lvl.1
Hong Kong

noob Posted at 2017-6-11 19:04
Just found this thread.  I have the exact same problem on my 2nd mavic, which I bought only 3 days ago, and tested yesterday.  It left me really disheartened.  The first mavic had no discernible issues, but the focus issue on the 2nd was as obvious as poliakov's.  And the only reason I bought my 2nd was because I had a bad crash on the 1st.  You never think getting a defective product would happen to you, but this seems to validate the thinking by some that getting a correctly functioning mavic is like throwing dice.  Now, I face the same dilemma : to send my brand new mavic back to DJI and risk getting a refurbished set in return or to just live with it.

I have a bad crash due to 0500 firmware (Arrived Jan 2017 with blurry right lower corner).
DJI replaced it with Care, it was perfect focus.  This has gone swim in Iceland.

I bought 2nd one in June 2017, very lot fan, the production date was May 2017.
DJI replaced it in next day, fan is not that lot, but with massive blurry lower right corner (built date was March 2017).
Going to DJI head office in HK to see what they say on July-01-2017.
2017-6-28
Use props
fansf657456e
lvl.1
Flight distance : 296089 ft
Chile

Hi, I have the same Issue with my mavic, but sadly, the seller denies to refund, or change. Now I don't have the money or the mavic, because the technical support  ask me for 200 USD, to send it to China.
2017-9-26
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules