P4 pro Gimbal going out of level
1619 12 2017-3-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
UltraDan
lvl.2
United Kingdom

My P4 pro's gimball goes out of level really quickly. This isnt the biggest issue as I mostly use for photos. I know this has been discussed on here before - is there any resoloution to the problem yet? I have tried re-calibrating the gimbal many times and it just goes out of level real quick every time, I dont eeven mind doing it when flying but it wont stay where I put it to?!?!?!?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Dan
2017-3-4
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

All I have ever heard is doing IMU calibration then Gimbal calibration.
2017-3-4
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Best to do is A COLD IMU calib. Leave the AC outside for at least 1/2. Bring it back in and do the IMU on A 100% PERFECT LEVEL surface. then shut down/turn on and do GIMBAL calib. Let us know!
2017-3-4
Use props
The Roach
lvl.3
Flight distance : 412835 ft
  • >>>
United States

None of that will work.  This is a known issue on the P4P and the Mavic.  Haven't heard of any acknowledgement from DJI on the issue but I have the P4P, the Mavic and a P4.  My Typhoon H is perfectly flat turning the entire quad or just the camera, I get no see-saw horizon effect..   Bought the Typhoon H just because of DJI's horizon issue.  Yuneec is catching up quickly, DJI better pay attention.  I was looking at the Inspire but went with the H as I was afraid I would have the same issue.   Glad I did as they don't seem interested to fix the issue.  A shame because the P4P camera is excellent but pretty useless for video.  Taking pics, at a dead hover, I have to adjust the horizon about every third pic.  I have none of these issues on the Typhoon H.  
2017-3-4
Use props
RoK
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1245154 ft
United States

I'm still having the same problem after I send my P4P back to DJI to be fix for the gimbal horizon drift and tilt (Camera board replacement). Now most of my videos are unusable because I still having the horizon tilt issue, “different tilt angle with different heading” (worsened) plus the sudden flip of the gimbal during right lateral flights. I'm sending it back again to DJI (another two weeks), very disappointed with the performance of this gimbal, I never experience nothing like this on neither of my P2P GoPro and P3P. I did countless calibrations of IMU (Cold-Hot), Compass and Gimbal (Level surface Auto calibration and Manual inflight adjustment).
2017-3-4
Use props
The Roach
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Yeah, I have P4 and it's good.  I have some old firmware on it and not upgrading it anytime soon.  Afraid I might introduce the issue lol.
2017-3-4
Use props
Brian Fist
lvl.3
Flight distance : 19928 ft
United States

I am wondering if they aren't fixing this stuff because they are trying to force "pro" people into the Inspire series???

I mean there has to be a point where they no longer want to improve the Phantom or other "low end" series because it will "infringe" on the high-end.

The easiest way is to "handicap" the lower end line so that people end up spending the bigger dollars on the higher end equipment.

Sorry to be so direct about this, but companies have been playing this tech game a VERY long time and at some point they all "screw the little guy" in the name of profits.

Just look at Samsung and the Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4... It is stuck on Android 4.4.2 because they didn't sell enough of them to literally "care to support them properly"... What a bunch of BS.  Also look at what ALL the manufacturers did to tablets since 2014, in that they all came out with really low-end display garbage so that they could start charging more for "professional displays" since around 2014 almost EVERYTHING had >1920x1080 displays with really high DPI counts...  Kinda sad when they released the next gen that literally had displays from over 5 years earlier on them.  No reason except to get more money out of people.  Honestly, with tablet tech there is NO REASON that ALL android tablets don't get newer firmware/OS updates.  The manufacturers just strand owners left and right so they can hopefully force them to buy new tablets.

I finally purchased a Phantom 4 Pro because it became a "real" tool.  Now to find out that it has a ton of issues and isn't even graced with regular firmware releases to fix them in a timely manner.  I can only hope that DJI is just backlogged with fixing issues with all the new products they released over the past 6 months and will eventually "make things right".

I just find it hard to stomach that you spend as much as you do on this technology to have it have so many issues.  I am just getting into things on the P4P platform and am "hoping" my purchase is "one of the good ones" without a lot of the issues you keep reading about.
2017-3-4
Use props
BIGDZ
First Officer
Flight distance : 10255860 ft
  • >>>
United States

Unfortunately, I think a large portion of the pilots flying P4 Ps are having horizon level and drifting camera issues. I know I wasn't having them at first, then it reared its head....recently...did the cold imu cal and it worked....then it went back to doing it again. I seen multiple reports over on a few other forum threads. Dji is hopefully working on a fix.
2017-3-4
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The Roach Posted at 2017-3-4 17:54
Yeah, I have P4 and it's good.  I have some old firmware on it and not upgrading it anytime soon.  Afraid I might introduce the issue lol.

Hey Roach. Which firmware level are you retaining on your P4 which you believe doesn't have the issue?
2017-3-4
Use props
The Roach
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-3-4 22:58
Hey Roach. Which firmware level are you retaining on your P4 which you believe doesn't have the issue?

The last time I updated was last May 2016.  I'm not near the P4 so I can't look it up right now.  I never upgrade firmware for the sake of upgrading.  If I have a good working product, unless there is a major fix required or a new feature I want, I don't touch it.  25 years in IT infrastructure has taught me to stay stable not cutting edge.  
2017-3-5
Use props
The Roach
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Brian Fist Posted at 2017-3-4 20:22
I am wondering if they aren't fixing this stuff because they are trying to force "pro" people into the Inspire series???

I mean there has to be a point where they no longer want to improve the Phantom or other "low end" series because it will "infringe" on the high-end.

Heck, I would be happy with some kind of acknowledgement from DJI.  Tell us either you're aware of the issues and working on it or sorry, it is working as intended.   Being in the dark is the worse thing a company can do on the support side.  
2017-3-5
Use props
UltraDan
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Yeah I aggree with the roach - at least say something. I have been filming more and more very recently and it is starting to get on my tits this horizon issue, as others have said it ruins the shot. Not so bad for photo as you can sort it in post. Surely the fix must be pretty simple? Dji have great products but they are typically chinese in that they are happy to give you something 85% done and let you deal with it. Another thing I have noticed with my p4p is that when the thing is out of level and I go into gimbal tilt adjustment I move it one or two points and the thing looks like it jumps back to level quite quickly, I. E instead of having to go from say 3.1 back to 0.0 - almost like it wakes up and levels itself?
2017-3-6
Use props
UltraDan
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Any of the moderators on this forum care to offer any opinion on wether a fix will ever come in the form of a firmware update or are they too staying silent and recommending an imu re calibration?
2017-3-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules