Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ah93
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2207392 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi guys

Just wondering what editing software you are using on mac? Ideally don't want to spend a fortune now on editing software...

Cheers
2017-3-4
Use props
hariedo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10650 ft
Japan

You probably have iMovie installed already.

Depends what you call "a fortune" but Final Cut Pro X is what most Mac folks are using if iMovie doesn't go far enough to do what they want to do.

Those who are fans of Adobe (I am not) have video options in the creative suite also.

On the freebie side, you could just upload each movie file to YouTube as private cuts, then assemble ON YOUTUBE into a public composition.  See the "CREATE" option under your video manager.
2017-3-4
Use props
ah93
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hariedo Posted at 2017-3-4 14:59
You probably have iMovie installed already.

Depends what you call "a fortune" but Final Cut Pro X is what most Mac folks are using if iMovie doesn't go far enough to do what they want to do.

im going to download the trial of final cut pro give that a go, only thing im worried about is the age of my mac, i have upgraded it since purchase

mac mini (late2012)
2.5GHz Intel Core i5
16GB RAM
250gb ssd

do you think it will handle the 4k footage from the mavic in FCPX?

cheers
2017-3-4
Use props
hariedo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10650 ft
Japan

A 2012 Mac Mini will struggle with 4k, but the SSD will help a bit.  The FCPX app does have a method to create "proxy footage" at a lower resolution to view while you're editing, so it won't be TOO horrible, but it may take quite a while to render your final video footage out at full quality.  I don't think the Mac Mini will have any way to SHOW that 4k footage even if you had a 4k television or monitor, though?
2017-3-4
Use props
ah93
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hariedo Posted at 2017-3-4 16:00
A 2012 Mac Mini will struggle with 4k, but the SSD will help a bit.  The FCPX app does have a method to create "proxy footage" at a lower resolution to view while you're editing, so it won't be TOO horrible, but it may take quite a while to render your final video footage out at full quality.  I don't think the Mac Mini will have any way to SHOW that 4k footage even if you had a 4k television or monitor, though?

cheers for your assistance ill give it a go tomorrow, will end up upgrading to a newer mac at some point in near future but hopefully this will do for now
2017-3-4
Use props
hypnotist
lvl.2
Flight distance : 559229 ft
United States

Davinci Resolve is free and works well enough for most purposes and does good color grading.
2017-3-4
Use props
Canes76
lvl.4
Flight distance : 818199 ft
  • >>>
United States

ah93 Posted at 2017-3-4 16:11
cheers for your assistance ill give it a go tomorrow, will end up upgrading to a newer mac at some point in near future but hopefully this will do for now

Yes, that setup will struggle with 4k...

I have a full blown iMac 5k and sometimes it lags with transitions, color grade, etc.

I use Adobe PPro...I use to edit on Final Cut - no more...it's iMovie on steroids.  
2017-3-4
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

Canes76 Posted at 2017-3-4 18:41
Yes, that setup will struggle with 4k...

I have a full blown iMac 5k and sometimes it lags with transitions, color grade, etc.

That's because all the other apps are written for the Nvidia cards.  Only FCP is optimized for the Radeons, which are a PITA to write code.
2017-3-5
Use props
sasiki
New

France

I used to use PR  on my PC, but sometimes i can't import 4k footages into the program, so i have to transfer the raw files with a video converter such as handbrake, pavtube video converter.
2017-5-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules