GPS to Atti mode
2210 8 2017-3-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
enzo65dk
lvl.1
Flight distance : 61247 ft
Denmark

Hi hope someone can help analyze my Mavic’s data.

My worst nightmare just happened

I got my Mavic pro only one week ago. It is my  first drone and I am not experienced in drone flying at all. Cause of  bad weather the last days I have only been able to take it up a few  times, only a few meters high and always close to me. I had no issues  before.  
Yesterday I have planet to take an evening  picture of my house.  First all was fine but when I had it at the right  position I went from sports mode to tripod mode to prepare for my photo.  At that moment the satellite connection changed to weak (red) and it  dropped into ATTI mode. It turned around a couple of times and then  starts to drift away. I didn’t felt I cut control it at all like if was  in a strong wind. I did not feel I could do anything to stop it. I just  stood there and saw my drone disappearing over the top on my neighbors'  houses. The last data I got on my remote was from the point where I lost  control. After a few minutes the remote lost all contact. I went to the  map on my phone to see if I could see where it had crashed but the  route ended where it went into ATTI. I started my car and drove in the  direction where I had seen the drone disappear. After some time my  remote connected again but still no satellite. From the camera I could  see some plants but nothing significant. I drove and walk around in the  area the next 2 hours. When I had almost given up (battery on the drone  was down to 5%)  I saw a red light in a field of barnacles.  If it had  not been dark, I had not seen it. I went in and found my drone. It  looked as if it had just landed and nothing was destroyed.  All led  lights lit steady red on the drone.

I do not trust my Mavic no more. I do not want to fly again until I know what happened and have found a solution.   

Hope that with more experience than me will be  able to look at my data and tell what happened and possibly what I can  do to prevent it from happening again      

Do I need to send the Mavic for reparation?  

I am very grateful for all the help I can get.

Link to my data   https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bvnnwbom9xou431/AAApoADXNu7QaHhhT8iWsnYLa?dl=0      
2017-3-4
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

First of all. It is not "TO NOT TRUST THE DRONE BUT NOT TO TRUST THE PILOT".
Men you are lucky! You got your drone back. We keep seeing this almost on a daily basis. Newbies getting their drone and going off on flying without practice, without reading the manual, without practicing on all different scenarios or how different modes works.

To prevent his from happening again practice in the academy, practice in beginner mode and your problem will be solved!

Also you did NOT list what damages the drone had.

Last download your log file to healthydrones.com

2017-3-4
Use props
fans06b77ccc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1905381 ft
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-3-4 18:43
First of all. It is not "TO NOT TRUST THE DRONE BUT NOT TO TRUST THE PILOT".
Men you are lucky! You got your drone back. We keep seeing this almost on a daily basis. Newbies getting their drone and going off on flying without practice, without reading the manual, without practicing on all different scenarios or how different modes works.

Healthy Drones is almost useless for a thorough analysis of most flights as it does not use the DAT file downloaded from the MAVIC. I checked the DAT file (DAT 26) and it appears the AC experienced TBE for an unknown reason, then dropped into ATTI mode. (you would be able to see this on HD) It dropped into Atti because the GPS health dropped below 4. (you cannot see GPS health, only Sat #s in HD) There have been multiple posts of even experienced pilots have difficulty controlling the Mavic once in ATTI mode, especially with high winds.

OP, did you calibrate the compass prior to flying?
2017-3-4
Use props
ePetLicensing.c
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

fans06b77ccc Posted at 2017-3-4 19:26
Healthy Drones is almost useless for a thorough analysis of most flights as it does not use the DAT file downloaded from the MAVIC. I checked the DAT file (DAT 26) and it appears the AC experienced TBE for an unknown reason, then dropped into ATTI mode. (you would be able to see this on HD) It dropped into Atti because the GPS health dropped below 4. (you cannot see GPS health, only Sat #s in HD) There have been multiple posts of even experienced pilots have difficulty controlling the Mavic once in ATTI mode, especially with high winds.

OP, did you calibrate the compass prior to flying?

You should ask the OP and not me.

I had P3P before the MP and I practiced on the ATTI mode in an open field for a month BEFORE I start flying outside in regular mode because of all the crashes that I have seen on youtube.

READ,PRACTICE,READ, PRACTICE...
2017-3-4
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Sorry to see the accident, OP. Please send in the drone if you have not yet and we'll have a detailed data analysis and decide if it's a warranty case.
2017-3-4
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

You stated that this is your first drone and you have only had it for a week. Then you said you changed from sport mode to tripod mode. For a new drone pilot, it would be much safer for you to be flying in beginner mode in an open area until you are more experienced and certainly you should not be flying at night.
You need to take some time to properly read the manual and all the documentation. You need to learn how all the different modes work and you need to learn the importance of GPS signal and what can happen when signal is lost. You also need to understand that there can be a significant amount of interference when flying in towns and cities and someone with very little experience like yourself should be well away from houses and people.
You may not be experienced enough to check your Mavic for any faults and you don't know whether it landed normally or not so perhaps you should be looking for someone more experienced to look at it or send it to a repair centre to be checked. I think your total inexperience has been the primary reason for the problems you had.
2017-3-4
Use props
fans06b77ccc
lvl.3
United States

ePetLicensing.c Posted at 2017-3-4 19:44
You should ask the OP and not me.

I had P3P before the MP and I practiced on the ATTI mode in an open field for a month BEFORE I start flying outside in regular mode because of all the crashes that I have seen on youtube.

I agree everyone should practice in Atti mode. I actually enjoy flying Atti mode, and  have a lot of experience with this on other quads. It's keeps you on your toes and you really feel like you're flying an AC. The toy grade quads are even more challenging because most don't have altitude hold. When I first flew a phantom in Atti it was almost boring.

There are a multitude of posts from pilots that have had their mavic drop in Atti, mostly because GPS health,  and had difficulty flying  it. This includes both  experienced and inexperienced pilots. We can't be too quick to judge because most have never had the the opportunity to fly the Mavic in Atti, because it's not currently pilot selectable, and I suspect it may be more challenging than many may expect. If it was easy DJI probably would have made it available as a selectable feature. Having taken a look at the DAT provided by this new user, I'd venture to say that most of us would have had been challenged at some stage in this flight. It was just complicated by his inexperience.and lack of knowledge.

I definitely agree, practice and read the manual until the information is second nature, especially the Failsafe/RTH features.  I know the excitement and anxiousness to fly when first purchasing the Mavic overshadows the patience everyone needs to properly understand the functions and behaviors of this AC.. Too many posts with new pilots that never even read the manual, only to crash their first flight. Quick way to blow a lot of money.
2017-3-4
Use props
enzo65dk
lvl.1
Flight distance : 61247 ft
Denmark

'm 51 and take it really seriously learning to fly a drone. I use the time to prepare myself before I start. I did calibrate the compass prior to my flight
I live in the country in a small town with only a few houses around and most fields.   I have read all the manuals and used a great deal of time to look at YouTube to see what I can learn from other users. I have practiced in Atti mode  inside my garage and it was easy to control the drone without wind and no drifting. I didn’t fly at night but in the evening with god visibility just before the sun went down. This was my first time in Sports mode to learn/try something new.  I flew only a few hundred meters and only an open field before it went wrong, there was no problem flying in sports mode before the GPS drop out. It has been easy to control the drone before this happened.
I have made a similar thread on Mavicpilots.com and got a lot of god responses from helpful people who has used a lot of time analyzing my data.
http://mavicpilots.com/threads/h ... 9s-data.9534/page-2  
Thank to all you helpful people on this forum and on  Mavicpilots.com for using all this time helping me.  
2017-3-5
Use props
fans06b77ccc
lvl.3
United States

enzo65dk Posted at 2017-3-5 01:31
'm 51 and take it really seriously learning to fly a drone. I use the time to prepare myself before I start. I did calibrate the compass prior to my flight
I live in the country in a small town with only a few houses around and most fields.   I have read all the manuals and used a great deal of time to look at YouTube to see what I can learn from other users. I have practiced in Atti mode  inside my garage and it was easy to control the drone without wind and no drifting. I didn’t fly at night but in the evening with god visibility just before the sun went down. This was my first time in Sports mode to learn/try something new.  I flew only a few hundred meters and only an open field before it went wrong, there was no problem flying in sports mode before the GPS drop out. It has been easy to control the drone before this happened.
I have made a similar thread on Mavicpilots.com and got a lot of god responses from helpful people who has used a lot of time analyzing my data.

Glad it all worked out. Yes the Mavicpilots.com group is a great place to learn about flight and problem analysis. The focus is more on the technical side and less critical of the pilot. They spell it out the way it is based on analytical tools, not speculation and assumptions.
2017-3-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules