Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Just my thoughts.
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djordan2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 79291 ft
United States

Just my thoughts,

I have read  lots of posts on the forum regarding connectivity.  Especially when it comes to Firmware updates and connecting a Phantom 3 Standard using the built-in Wifi.  I  experienced  this with a close friend of mine.  I now fly the P3Pro, but my first Phantom was the Standard.  From the very beginning, I never had any problems connecting and flying.  But my friend had all kinds of trouble.  He used such terms as “Piece of junk” and $500.00 paperweight”    He even said that he was going to take the Standard out in the field and use it for target practice with his .223.  

Trying to troubleshoot his problems over the phone, we live 400 miles apart, was very difficult.  I was finally able to get him connected.  Now he is happy.  I learned something  from the experience.

It really helps to have a good working knowledge of computers and computer terminology.  Also, at least a general knowledge of computer networking.  Amoung other things, you have to be able to recognize when you are connected to the home Wifi, or the Phantom 3 Standard Wifi, and how to easily switch between the two.  I work in the computer networking business.  It’s not my main line of work, but I do have to do Firmware updates on my equipment, and  connect the equipment for scanning and network printing.   All of my paperwork is done through the computer  using a Hotspot or Guest Wifi connection.  I’m not the best at it, but I can generally figure things out on my own.

I can’t imagine how some folks can take a complicated piece of equipment like a Phantom right out of the box and expect to not have any issues. I know…90% of the time it all goes well.  The folks with the above mentioned skills can generally figure things out.  The folks without those skills, or at least the basis knowledge, are going to be unhappy.

I think we, with the knowledge, need to be more tolerate of those without it.  Just my thoughts
2017-3-5
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Yes.  Especially as drones become more and more mainstream.  But everything will work out in the end.

Consider my wife in 1985 with an IBM PC.  Not a pretty picture.  But today she's a smart phone expert.  Kinda.  
2017-3-5
Use props
TCDrone
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2710732 ft
France

Very very good analogy Mr. djordan2.   So very true and sad for lots of folks trying to break into this high tech hobby.  I think some of the products sold today should warn consumers that a certain degree of computer knowledge is recommended in order to achieve the best satisfaction and potential of the product.  Just my thoughts too!
Thanks
2017-3-5
Use props
djordan2
lvl.4
United States

TCDrone Posted at 2017-3-5 10:46
Very very good analogy Mr. djordan2.   So very true and sad for lots of folks trying to break into this high tech hobby.  I think some of the products sold today should warn consumers that a certain degree of computer knowledge is recommended in order to achieve the best satisfaction and potential of the product.  Just my thoughts too!
Thanks

You know, after I made that post this morning, I called my friend who was having all the trouble.  He got the message that he had to update to 3.1.3.  I told him how to do it last week.  I upgraded both my Samsung Note 3 phone used with my P3S, and my Samsung Tab A used with my P3Pro without a single problem.  I have been fly both the P3S and the P3Pro nearly every day since.

Sure enough, he is having problems.  I could not make heads or tails on what he was trying to do.  He was so frustrated that he once again want to sell the piece of junk to the highest bidder.  He has a P3S with carrying backpack, three batteries, and a dock charger.  He wants $500.00 for the lot.  I didn't even try to help him this time.  He was just too upset about the whole thing.  He just can't seem to get the new version 3.1.3 to connect.  Sound familiar???

He is coming down here to visit me in two weeks. I told him to hold off selling just now, and to let me have a look at it when gets here.

On the lighter side, I still can't set the clock on my VCR!  It's been flashing 12:00 for several years now!
2017-3-5
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

What a pleasure it is to be reading a well thought out and meaningful post. I think you've hit the nail on the head in several respects. Having the patience to learn, or the patience to teach, can be a struggle at times.

Regarding the VCR, it must be in the same manual as my Microwave clock

2017-3-5
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 136686 ft

Australia

Some good common sense here.

People forget how complex what we are doing actually is and how many systems have to integrate for it to be successful.

My recollections of getting online back in the mid 90's in rural Australia. Having to obtain software, then configure the model. A separate package was require to dial the ISP and it all had to be launched in the correct order. Then it would often take a few tries to establish a connection, often at only 1200 baud. Then you were paying by the minute. It was quite an ordeal. It took a few years before things became easier to connect and young ones these days expect to get wifi everywhere.  
2017-3-5
Use props
djordan2
lvl.4
United States

Cabansail Posted at 2017-3-5 19:36
Some good common sense here.

People forget how complex what we are doing actually is and how many systems have to integrate for it to be successful.

Boy does that bring back memories!  Those of us who have been in the computer industry since those days  have the least problems with modern technology, and those who have not are sometimes bewildered.

In my original post, I was not mocking those who are not tech savvy in a particular field.   I hope no one took it that way.  The person I referred to, my friend, is actually one of the sharpest people I know.  When it comes to mechanical things, which is the line of work he has been in all of his life,  he puts me to shame with his knowledge base.  It doesn't matter whether it is basic electricity, engine overhaul, hydraulics, carpentry, hanging Drywall, or whatever,  it seems there is nothing he can't do, and do well!  When we get together, he teaches me as much as I teach him.
2017-3-6
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 136686 ft

Australia

djordan2 Posted at 2017-3-6 07:16
Boy does that bring back memories!  Those of us who have been in the computer industry since those days  have the least problems with modern technology, and those who have not are sometimes bewildered.

In my original post, I was not mocking those who are not tech savvy in a particular field.   I hope no one took it that way.  The person I referred to, my friend, is actually one of the sharpest people I know.  When it comes to mechanical things, which is the line of work he has been in all of his life,  he puts me to shame with his knowledge base.  It doesn't matter whether it is basic electricity, engine overhaul, hydraulics, carpentry, hanging Drywall, or whatever,  it seems there is nothing he can't do, and do well!  When we get together, he teaches me as much as I teach him.

I knew what you meant. The way the internet was in the early days would exclude a lot of people, it had to become user friendly to allow a wide uptake. Much the same with remote operated aircraft. They have been around for years too. I recall having a model which flew on control wires and crashed a lot.. Also building gliders out of balsa wood. The new products, like the DJI range, have made that available to the masses and with more capability than those of the past could dream about. We get a lot of tech for the money and that is only possible because of large scale production.
2017-3-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules