799 12 2017-3-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GlennGoat
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>
United States

Although the specs temperature range is 32 to 104 degrees F - are there any problems I should be aware of when operating at the lower range?  It's been bordering a little above 32 around here and was curioius if anyone had any problems in the cold temps.  Anything I should be aware of?  I'm sure air temps can be colder as altitude changes - so I assume I have to keep that in mind.   
2017-3-5
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

Make sure your batteries are kept warm before flying (keep them in your pocket or in your car).. Be very aware that the lower air temperatures will cause your battery life to be shortened - so land earlier than you normally would. I would also say make sure that it isn't too humid or foggy out..  I took my P4 out one cool night where the area was a little foggy and I had a strange warning I had never seen before with the IMU (haven't had it since that night in the last 15 flights).. I am not sure if this was due to the damp air but be aware.
2017-3-5
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

+1

The temp of your battery just prior to launch is what is most important.  Many have flown in temps much lower than freezing and have reported no problems.  The trick is to start with a nice warm battery.  
2017-3-5
Use props
GlennGoat
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-3-5 09:24
+1

The temp of your battery just prior to launch is what is most important.  Many have flown in temps much lower than freezing and have reported no problems.  The trick is to start with a nice warm battery.

Thanks for the replies - very helpful.  
2017-3-5
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

Mine issued an odd warning at around 36 degrees with some fog.  Something like "Make sure battery is at 58 degrees."  Took another one out of warm car and it worked.
2017-3-5
Use props
eliot may
lvl.3
Flight distance : 245367 ft
United States

I frequently fly with temps in the 20s F. I do make sure the battery is room temp and keep it in my inside pocket or somewhere else that is warm, you know...No other precautions
2017-3-5
Use props
Lb650
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1217762 ft
Canada

I have also flown at -12c with no detrimental side affects battery life still lasts 20 min plus.  As stated earlier in this post just make sure you start with a warm battery,  battery temp while in the the drone will rise to 30-40 dgrees
2017-3-5
Use props
Mikkovtun
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5247953 ft
  • >>>
Ukraine

Теплі рукавички для батареї підійдуть
2017-3-5
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

You can also turn the AC on for couple of minutes and it will also warm up the BATTERY TO 25
2017-3-5
Use props
Sp00nix
lvl.2
Flight distance : 28678 ft
United States

I thought about this earlier today. I was thiking a cooler with one of those hand warmers packets in it. By the time i got to my 3rd battery today it was chilled pretty good and produced the low temp warning.
2017-3-5
Use props
SkyerUAS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1754019 ft
United States

When I filmed the video below it was 16F (-9C), but I kept the batteries warm prior to flying by wrapping them in a rag and a gel heat-pack, inside a fanny pack. It only took a couple of minutes for the P3A to warm up to takeoff temperature on the ground, and it flew flawlessly.

As it was mentioned above, make sure you keep an eye on the battery discharge rate, and land leaving a larger margin of power than you normally would leave when flying in warmer temps.

SKYER
“Fly your drone as though you were flying in it yourself…”
See aerial short films at my YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC304REG4t2_OWJmQDHLvQ2w
2017-3-5
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

GlennGoat Posted at 2017-3-5 09:43
Thanks for the replies - very helpful.

I've been flying mine up at 10200ft in winter.

Sure is cold up there....    But climbing the 1640ft allowed gave the batteries and motors a good warm up.

2017-3-5
Use props
jwt-873
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6754350 ft
Canada

If you get a low battery temperature warning and it's only a few degrees below the recommended temperature, all you need to do is hover for a minute or so before heading off.  That will quickly bring the battery up to the proper minimum temperature.  

As dronist points out, if you're in your vehicle and the battery is a little cold, you can put the heat and fan on high, then hold it in front of your dash register for a minute or so until the temp gets up to where it should be.  (I did this just last week )

And for cold flying...   I've flown in temperatures as low as -30C (-22F) with no problems and no reduction in flight times.
2017-3-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules