First Flights & Video: Central Park and Hudson River
1503 7 2015-2-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
scott.k.davidso
lvl.2
Flight distance : 189167 ft
United States

Apologies if this is the second time posting this, the first time didnt seem to 'go-live'.

Just a short clip from my second and third flights with the Inspire 1 in Manhattan, flying over the frozen Hudson River and Central Park (staying below the JFK ceiling).

I love this thing.   It is going to take a bit to get used to as it is significantly more responsive than my Phantom 2.   I also found that I had become too reliant on the GPS.   I had trouble getting GPS lock in both locations.  It would lock for about 5 seconds and then drop for ~20 seconds.   I gave up and just flew in ATTI.

This is also my first time using FCP.   I think I am going to like it.  I used to use iMovie, but found that it choked up on the 4K and became very 'choppy'.   A few questions for everyone.

1) Is there a way on the iOS app to export the video of the flight record?   I was only able get it to export a picture
2)  What is causing the GPS issues?  I would think that I would get a good lock in Central Park.   A software update that shows that satellite count would be great.    I have also found that I get lower GPS signal with the gear up, anyone else notice this?
3) Anyone have a good source for good FairUse flying music?  Would love some stock tunes that sound good.   (My pairing here is not great, but I didnt want to spend much time editing.

Thanks for any/all feedback.   Dont forget to crank up the quality to 4K!!

2015-2-23
Use props
cypress6
lvl.2
Flight distance : 176936 ft
United States

Looks cold there, can't say I miss the NYC winters much.

Nice footage! Love the way the Hudson looks with the sunsetting over Jersey.

Thought I might put this out there so you have the right info. When you are flying in Central Park you don't have to worry about JFK's airspace because you are in La Guardia's airspace (LGA). Central Park is within 5nm of the primary airport, they have the surface up to 7000'.
Hudson River and the East River have exclusions and I know you are aware of the large amount of helicopter and fixed wing traffic over the rivers.

Don't want to start any issues just want the right info out there. Knowing where you are flying is important and with the new regs coming out this will be even more of an issue.

I don't have an answer for 1 & 3 but as for the GPS lock, I lose GPS lock every flight sometimes for minutes. I think they are working on this issue for the next firmware update.

Stay warm and happy flying!
2015-2-23
Use props
svencool
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6690 ft
United States

I liked the look of the hudson river! You could do some amazing things with that! All in all not bad for the first time
2015-2-23
Use props
scott.k.davidso
lvl.2
United States

cypress6 Posted at 2015-2-24 06:48
Looks cold there, can't say I miss the NYC winters much.

Nice footage! Love the way the Hudson look ...

Thanks Cypress.   Appreciate the clarification on my part.   I knew where I was at the time, just a typo when posting.  Appreciate the input as I agree it is important that we all follow airspace regs. (I am a private pilot as well so I am very careful when I fly).   

I definitely mapped out the airspace before I flew. The DJI site makes this much easier than pulling out my aviation charts or logging into ForeFlight.  I also stayed below 150 feet when over the Hudson because the helicopter traffic is crazy.  I did the flight in a Cessna 172 once and swore I would never do it again.  Just too hectic.

Looking forward to more safe flights for my Inspire and for other air traffic!
2015-2-23
Use props
apjr1.verizon
lvl.2

United States

Hey, nice Job!!! quick question: anyone from the parks department notice you at central park? because i know they have signs posted about RC cars, was wondering if they try to stop you there .
2015-2-23
Use props
scott.k.davidso
lvl.2
United States

apjr1.verizon Posted at 2015-2-24 08:07
Hey, nice Job!!! quick question: anyone from the parks department notice you at central park? becaus ...

Hey,  Thanks just getting used the Inspire, excited about what it can do.

I believe that quadcopter are frowned upon in the park, though no one said anything.   I went early in the morning, on a cold/overcast day, and found a baseball field with absolutely no one near by.   Safety first and I don't think anyone will bother you.
2015-2-23
Use props
Black Sea Drone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1362336 ft

Bulgaria

nice flight and beautiful place , continue the good work
2023-7-13
Use props
ro_walker
First Officer
Brazil