Phantom 4 Pro Plus - Panoramic photos
9985 22 2017-3-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AAE-GP
lvl.1
Flight distance : 312838 ft
United Kingdom

I am struggling to understand/take a panoramic image.

Can someone explain the process please.

I am using a Phantom 4 Pro Plus.

Do I need some 'extra' software to 'stitch' the images together?  Is there anything on the P4P+ that does this?

Be gentle
2017-3-6
Use props
Steven_J
lvl.1
Flight distance : 40820 ft
Belgium

2017-3-6
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

You use the Phantom like an old-fashioned camera to take a series of overlapping images.
Then process them with stitching software.
2017-3-6
Use props
stalker
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13632 ft
Netherlands

Yes you need software to stitch your photos. Make sure that they overlap at least 1/3, more is better. There's many choices so best is to google for it, my preferred tool is Autopano Giga. But that's not free and rather expensive. Good luck!
2017-3-6
Use props
piowoc73
lvl.3
United States

Litchi would be very helpful for that, because it has a Pano mode, which can automate the entire process.  Unfortunately, at this moment you can't install any third party apps on P4P+ and that's exactly why I sent mine back and bought P4P instead.
For stitching people recommend Microsoft ICE software, which is available for free here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/ ... e-composite-editor/
2017-3-6
Use props
TPVAerials
lvl.3

United States

Does Lightroom/Photoshop have the stitching capabilities like what was shown in the video above?
Also, instead of simply cropping the photo so you don't get the fish eye look & essentially making the overall photo smaller...can you "square-off" the rounded edges? I've seen it done before in example pano videos, but don't know the exact terminology. It looks like people have blown out the rounded corners up to the actual corners of the photo.
2017-3-6
Use props
SPIKE_151
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69767 ft
United States

Yes Photoshop does have panorama stitch

File ->
Automate->
Photomerge
2017-3-6
Use props
liningiv
lvl.4
Flight distance : 329409 ft
United Kingdom

TPVAerials Posted at 2017-3-6 06:43
Does Lightroom/Photoshop have the stitching capabilities like what was shown in the video above?
Also, instead of simply cropping the photo so you don't get the fish eye look & essentially making the overall photo smaller...can you "square-off" the rounded edges? I've seen it done before in example pano videos, but don't know the exact terminology. It looks like people have blown out the rounded corners up to the actual corners of the photo.

Latest version of Lightroom will expand the edges to fill the frame.  But only the subscription CC.  If you bought LR, like me the latest version is not including this option.
2017-3-7
Use props
JAL MEX
lvl.1

Japan

Steven_J Posted at 2017-3-6 05:31
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIstKcYngSU

Thank you for your kind teaching,
2017-3-7
Use props
rodrigo linkweb
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2217487 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

I'll try Autopano Giga this weekend.
2017-3-10
Use props
Simon Child
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153852 ft
United Kingdom

Hugin is good, and free

http://hugin.sourceforge.net/
2017-3-10
Use props
GrahamLN
lvl.3
Flight distance : 337953 ft
United Kingdom

With the latest firmware update, the App  will do it all for you. Select the camera mode and you will find the 'Pano' option at the bottom of the list. Select that and you will see the styles of panorama available. THis includes 360, 180, vertical and horizontal ( this is similar to the 180 but takes fewer pictures). Selectt which you want and a small icon similar to that will appear on the camera button. Ensure the camera is pointed at the main object as the drone will take shots left and right. After pushing the button, the process is automatic, a series of pictures will be taken with  bewildering speed then a comment will come up  saying Panorama successful or similar. The next issue is where is it? This  will be placed in your album on the Pro 4 + App. Search through this, you will see a small icon on the relevant thumbnail  showing a video camera. Look at the bottom right hand corner of the screen and there will be a download icon, select this and the stitching process will take place. After you have the problem of what to  do  with  the result. Select the image and a Share option  will appear top  right hand corner. Select this and you get a list of Social Media sites you can export it to. So far, I have not found a way of emailing  to myself or placing it elsewhere. Well , I hop I have covered most of it. Forgive any errors but today was my first time of trying it!At this point I would say that I was not impressed with the image quality, the image seems to deteriorate into separate lines if zoomed in. I need more practice I guess but otherwise, after all of this, I think I will still prefer to  take separate images and stitch them myself. I use Serif Panorama Plus which is cheap and easy to use. Hope all of this helps. If anyone can suggest how I get a better quality of image from the automatic process please advise!ck.
2018-2-17
Use props
DEUCEDOG
First Officer
Flight distance : 2501575 ft
United Kingdom

GrahamLN Posted at 2018-2-17 09:29
With the latest firmware update, the App  will do it all for you. Select the camera mode and you will find the &aposano' option at the bottom of the list. Select that and you will see the styles of panorama available. THis includes 360, 180, vertical and horizontal ( this is similar to the 180 but takes fewer pictures). Selectt which you want and a small icon similar to that will appear on the camera button. Ensure the camera is pointed at the main object as the drone will take shots left and right. After pushing the button, the process is automatic, a series of pictures will be taken with  bewildering speed then a comment will come up  saying Panorama successful or similar. The next issue is where is it? This  will be placed in your album on the Pro 4 + App. Search through this, you will see a small icon on the relevant thumbnail  showing a video camera. Look at the bottom right hand corner of the screen and there will be a download icon, select this and the stitching process will take place. After you have the problem of what to  do  with  the result. Select the image and a Share option  will appear top  right hand corner. Select this and you get a list of Social Media sites you can export it to. So far, I have not found a way of emailing  to myself or placing it elsewhere. Well , I hop I have covered most of it. Forgive any errors but today was my first time of trying it!At this point I would say that I was not impressed with the image quality, the image seems to deteriorate into separate lines if zoomed in. I need more practice I guess but otherwise, after all of this, I think I will still prefer to  take separate images and stitch them myself. I use Serif Panorama Plus which is cheap and easy to use. Hope all of this helps. If anyone can suggest how I get a better quality of image from the automatic process please advise!ck.

Thanks for the info i was wondering how that all worked myself
2018-2-17
Use props
GrahamLN
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DEUCEDOG Posted at 2018-2-17 11:45

OK  you  will find one or two  videos on YouTube about it, just search for something like "Panorama function on the Phantom 4 Pro +"

I may have missed one or two things as I wrote the above from memory but essentially it should work. As I said, I wasnt too  impressed with the final  quality. Interestingly, the 21 photos it took for  a 180 degree panorama, when stitched, made a file size of about 84KBs! I guess something has to go. ! If anyone from DJI could offer suggestions that would be helpful. Best of luck
2018-2-17
Use props
GrahamLN
lvl.3
United Kingdom

this is one I found useful

2018-2-17
Use props
DEUCEDOG
First Officer
Flight distance : 2501575 ft
United Kingdom

GrahamLN Posted at 2018-2-17 13:38
this is one I found useful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=motD-i3fkTk&t=212s

Thanks for the info , i will give it a go
2018-2-17
Use props
GrahamLN
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I found this video useful, I thought I had posted it last night but evidently not . My App version on the Pro+ is 4.1.22, the update is as quoted on the video.
2018-2-18
Use props
fans861c50f9
lvl.1
Flight distance : 25259 ft
India

okay so I have an issue..actually the p4p+ that I have doesn't show the different modes in which I can shoot ...it only shows the "single shot" mode...it doesn't show pano or multiple shots or burst shot mode..why is that so? I have the latest firmwares installed on both, the drone and my p4p+ controller with built in screen.
2018-4-21
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

fans861c50f9 Posted at 2018-4-21 01:07
okay so I have an issue..actually the p4p+ that I have doesn't show the different modes in which I can shoot ...it only shows the "single shot" mode...it doesn't show pano or multiple shots or burst shot mode..why is that so? I have the latest firmwares installed on both, the drone and my p4p+ controller with built in screen.

See if anything in this thread are of any help.
2018-4-21
Use props
fans861c50f9
lvl.1
Flight distance : 25259 ft
India

After I inserted the sd card in the drone the different shoot modes were visible in the settings screen!
2018-4-22
Use props
AerialZ
lvl.2
Flight distance : 52638 ft
  • >>>
United States

Anyone figured out how to get the processed pano off of the P4P+ without 'sharing' to social media?
2018-4-24
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

AerialZ Posted at 2018-4-24 10:38
Anyone figured out how to get the processed pano off of the P4P+ without 'sharing' to social media?

They are not worth the effort, very lowres and only looking good on that little display.
If you insist you can connect RC with computer and start the USB drive feature by dragging down from the top.
You would do the same to get screenshots made on the display transferred to your computer, i am not sure if the new transfer to phone (D-Trans) feature also found when dragging down from the top could be used.

Edit: 2018-4-30 - added picture taken for this thread.

Path for pano sticthed on GL300E

Path for pano sticthed on GL300E
2018-4-25
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1385223 ft
United States

Great thread.  I want to try this today!
2018-4-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules