How is the height measured?
4416 13 2017-3-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Yhadar
lvl.3
Israel

Hey guys,
When I fly my Mavic, I see that the height that is displayed on the screen in much lower then it really seems.
EX. if I fly at about 9 meters then the height displayed will be 2 meters. Or if my RTH height is set to 30 meters when I press return it will go up until it displayed 15 meters.
Is height measured by sea level or by the point that it took off from?

Thanks,
Yhadar
2017-3-6
Use props
Landbo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

The height is measured from the place you took off from.

Regards Leif.
2017-3-6
Use props
Landbo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

Double post, sorry !
2017-3-6
Use props
Yhadar
lvl.3
Israel

So how does what I described happen?
2017-3-6
Use props
Heavysledz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 819491 ft
United States

I would suggest if you are not already doing so to let the Mavic sit and idle for about 30 seconds or so before taking off. This will allow all of IMU systems to stabilize as well as lock on to more satellites and get a better fix on it's position. This will also improve it's RTH accuracy. If this doesn't yield any improvement, then try to re-calibrate the IMU. If that doesn't resolve the issue, then it sounds like you have an issue with barometer.
2017-3-6
Use props
Yhadar
lvl.3
Israel

Heavysledz Posted at 2017-3-6 11:54
I would suggest if you are not already doing so to let the Mavic sit and idle for about 30 seconds or so before taking off. This will allow all of IMU systems to stabilize as well as lock on to more satellites and get a better fix on it's position. This will also improve it's RTH accuracy. If this doesn't yield any improvement, then try to re-calibrate the IMU. If that doesn't resolve the issue, then it sounds like you have an issue with barometer.

Ok thank you
2017-3-6
Use props
Yhadar
lvl.3
Israel

It won't really affect flying only the data sent to me right?
2017-3-6
Use props
Danny-B-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 306640 ft
United Kingdom

You have the main Barometer in the mavic which measures the height from where you take off from, its not super accurate but shouldnt be bad. you also have the VPS height displayed on the screen, which is measured from the sonar sensors, but thats only for under 15 - 20meters or so, above ground or obstacles.
2017-3-6
Use props
fans06b77ccc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1905381 ft
United States

Danny-B- Posted at 2017-3-6 12:51
You have the main Barometer in the mavic which measures the height from where you take off from, its not super accurate but shouldnt be bad. you also have the VPS height displayed on the screen, which is measured from the sonar sensors, but thats only for under 15 - 20meters or so, above ground or obstacles.

In addition to barometer and VPS, it uses gps to determine total elevation above sea level.  
2017-3-6
Use props
EdM
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1491814 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans06b77ccc Posted at 2017-3-6 15:25
In addition to barometer and VPS, it uses gps to determine total elevation above sea level.

It does not use GPS to measure anything to do with height, altitude, distance up or down, etc.   It only uses the barometer for this type measurement.
2017-3-6
Use props
Boenaparte
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1089393 ft
Hong Kong

EdM Posted at 2017-3-6 19:48
It does not use GPS to measure anything to do with height, altitude, distance up or down, etc.   It only uses the barometer for this type measurement.

Hi Guys this is a key point for me as I take off from my roof on the 25th floor on top of a hill, so basically I am always at least at 80M from sea level. Is there a way to know accurately the height from the sea? It's important because I fly over the sea all the time but I can not go to low because am concerned on making visual error (thinking I am higher than I am actually) ?
2017-3-6
Use props
Poppa John
lvl.2
Flight distance : 11982 ft
United States

I guess that this is an obvious conclusion from the above discussion, but I thought it worth seeking confirmation..  If I am taking off from a valley (low point), 0' AGL is determined from my Homeport.  So, if I have determined that 200' ABL gets me safely ATL ("above tree level") from where I am and I am attempting to use the Waypoint active flight program and am setting waypoints with a height of 200' AGL, if the course of flight takes me into higher terrain (over a hill with an elevation of 200'), my drone has a good chance of auguring into the ground or crashing into a tree, yes?  Also, since I have a flight ceiling of 400' AGL:, I will not be able to set a waypoint with enough altitude to keep my drone from crashing when I am flying over elevated terrain.  Is this conclusion correcect?
2020-10-4
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Poppa John Posted at 10-4 06:39
I guess that this is an obvious conclusion from the above discussion, but I thought it worth seeking confirmation..  If I am taking off from a valley (low point), 0' AGL is determined from my Homeport.  So, if I have determined that 200' ABL gets me safely ATL ("above tree level") from where I am and I am attempting to use the Waypoint active flight program and am setting waypoints with a height of 200' AGL, if the course of flight takes me into higher terrain (over a hill with an elevation of 200'), my drone has a good chance of auguring into the ground or crashing into a tree, yes?  Also, since I have a flight ceiling of 400' AGL:, I will not be able to set a waypoint with enough altitude to keep my drone from crashing when I am flying over elevated terrain.  Is this conclusion correcect?

Also, since I have a flight ceiling of 400' AGL:, I will not be able to set a waypoint with enough altitude to keep my drone from crashing when I am flying over elevated terrain.
Flight ceiling?

If you mean the user-configurable Max Altitude limit, simply increase it if necessary.
2020-10-4
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

there's plenty of room for higher flights.
2020-10-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules