lvl.1
Canada

Nevermind... Found it and nope,  I have the Mavic Pro
2018-4-10
Use props
Danger Lampost
lvl.4

United States

I've logged maybe 10 or so flight hours flying my Mavic Air inside crowded indoor spaces. I have yet to have a problem. My tips for you are:
  • Don't even think about flying indoors without your prop guards on. Really, just don't even try. Once or twice I've lightly kissed a door frame or wall and the guards saved me.
  • Turn off your obstacle avoidance system because that's just going to stop you from flying indoors.
  • Realize you won't have a GPS signal, and you'll need to rely on your drone's visual sensors for stability. This means you need adequate light. How do I know this? I did an indoor experiment where I launched my drone indoors, turned the lights off so the drone was in darkness, and watched what happens. Let me tell you the drone started to drift immediately, and I had to stay on the controller to keep it under control. You should try that sometime for a real challenge, but be careful and be ready to turn the lights right back on!
  • Keep your speed really slow.
  • You may want to turn down the sensitivity of your controller.
  • You'll want to adjust your white balance for indoor lighting.
  • When you launch, make sure your drone doesn't go too high up on launch and be right on that altitude stick as soon as you launch.
  • Make sure you have no pets or small children who could be a safety issue. Steer clear of people.
  • You'll likely stir up a bunch of dust bunnies and other stuff that usually doesn't have a wind blowing on it.
  • Watch out for lights or other things sticking down from the ceiling.

2018-4-10
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

If you fly indoors a lot you can always use one of these, GPS Repeater brings GPS Indoors they work great, just remember to set the Failsafe RTH to Hover before flying indoors, it will provide a stable GPS lock for the drone and you can fly in GPS mode just like you were outside.

2018-4-10
Use props
djiuser_LR4w0vPYTTsF
New
Flight distance : 16473 ft
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2018-4-10 11:20
If you fly indoors a lot you can always use one of these, GPS Repeater brings GPS Indoors they work great, just remember to set the Failsafe RTH to Hover before flying indoors, it will provide a stable GPS lock for the drone and you can fly in GPS mode just like you were outside.

This is great but might not do for you what you expect for flying indoors.

A GPS receiver computes its location by comparing timing (aka distance) to several satellites. When a receiver moves, so does it's relative timing (distance) hence motion can be determined.

The device in the video receives the GPS position of IT'S receiver (presumably outdoors) and re-transmits it via IT'S transmitter (indoors). This is fine for the application in the video; however, the indoor signal will indicate the position of the device's antenna, not the drone's. Assuming the outdoor antenna is stationary (if say mounted on a roof), the drone will think it's on the roof and not moving. No matter where the drone is or what it's doing, it's "GPS position" will never change. Not exactly what one would want for our application.

2-cents from an EE and HAM.
2018-4-28
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

djiuser_LR4w0vPYTTsF Posted at 2018-4-28 04:39
This is great but might not do for you what you expect for flying indoors.

A GPS receiver computes its location by comparing timing (aka distance) to several satellites. When a receiver moves, so does it's relative timing (distance) hence motion can be determined.

Absolutely agree, I use it to maintain GPS Mode only for stable flight (Unwanted Atti Mode) it is relatively useless for any type of navigation, not really trusting VPS/Opti mode I find it useful in tight quarters.
2018-4-28
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10318117 ft
Canada

mcd0nald Posted at 2017-3-6 17:05
yup, GPS signal is weak, sometimes is none....but it hovers good during tripod mode
i do this almost everyday anyway  

I so totally agree with you mcd0nald
2018-4-28
Use props
Fadi Awad
New

United Arab Emirates

Hello guys,
Mavic air can fly indoor without any single problem, i’ve read some comments specially regarding the mavic air that it was not made for flying indoor, actually i totally disagree with that cause its very steady super solid as long as you enable the positioning sensor, so make sure that your positioning sensors is on, and disable your obstical sensors specially if your room is super small like mine, but still i managed to fly mavic air perfectly.
2019-2-17
Use props
Fadi Awad
New

United Arab Emirates

Hello guys,
Mavic air can fly indoor without any single problem, i’ve read some comments specially regarding the mavic air that it was not made for flying indoor, actually i totally disagree with that cause its very steady super solid as long as you enable the positioning sensor, so make sure that your positioning sensors is on, and disable your obstical sensors specially if your room is super small like mine, but still i managed to fly mavic air perfectly, bottom the line flying indoor without positioning sensor on is a 100% crash, and flying outdoor is your choice if you wanna learn other modes then GPS cause GPS is the best safe option to fly outdoor specially when its a bit windy.
2019-2-17
Use props
Brett Brandon
lvl.4
United States

The new CAPTCHA crap is the last straw.
Im tired of DJIs crap and am removing my posts and will be on my way.
2019-2-17
Use props
Brett Brandon
lvl.4
United States

2019-2-17
Use props
Brett Brandon
lvl.4
United States

2019-2-17
Use props
Brett Brandon
lvl.4
United States

2019-2-24
Use props
sludge
lvl.2
Flight distance : 831322 ft

mcd0nald Posted at 2017-3-6 16:37
once it hovers, go to 'TRIPOD' mode ....

This is VERY BAD advice. Never ever fly in tripod mode if GPS is poor or not available. The manual clearly stats this as well.
2019-9-4
Use props
sludge
lvl.2

Air_Owen 10 Posted at 2017-3-6 16:41
so basically fly it under the atti mode and switch to tripod mode when it in hovering position? thanks

NO, NO, NO, NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2019-9-4
Use props
sludge
lvl.2

If you must, then read the manual and practice outside with all the sensors turned off and RTH set to hover.. Stay close to your launch point as well and land slowly without auto land.Reading the comments and judging by your question, I would say this; Unless you are very, very experienced pilot do not attempt to fly indoors.
2019-9-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules