Gotten insurance with State Farm? If so please read!
123Next >
15856 97 2017-3-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Syc0PthicManiac
lvl.1
United States

So far I have my Mavic with loads of accys including NVIDIA Shield K1 (Tell them it is used for a HUD screen to fly or they wont cover it), Osmo+ with loads of accys, and my Inspire 2 with x5s and LOADS of accys for ~$180/yr no deductible ~$10k coverage
2017-3-22
Use props
ngvuanh
lvl.3
Flight distance : 159820 ft
United States

I paid $61/year for Mavic and Phantom 4, $2200 coverage.
2017-3-22
Use props
81SFORLIFE
lvl.2
Flight distance : 313281 ft
United States

geofox784 Posted at 2017-3-21 12:28
There is no contact listed for LA so if you can add that via the form that would be great

Should be updated on there now.
2017-3-22
Use props
geofox784
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1482175 ft
United States

81SFORLIFE Posted at 2017-3-22 11:36
Should be updated on there now.

Thanks!

2017-3-22
Use props
iFlyKid
lvl.2
United States

Spoke to Joanne, she's a co-worker for Christie Simmons and my yearly premium is $60. If I make a claim on the drone it won't raise my premium or anything else I have insured as far as she stressed enough. But as many have claimed it's only for recreational purposes and not commercial.
2017-3-23
Use props
PizzaFiend
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1489593 ft
United States

Thanks for starting this!
2017-3-26
Use props
fans06b77ccc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1905381 ft
United States

I know this sounds great, but there may be consequences if a claim is placed, even if your home and auto are with a different company.  Insurance companies have a system similar to credit reporting that tracks claims across all companies, even with this type of insurance. Basically, this system helps the insurance company access risk. I confirmed that this type of claim would be reported to this reporting system with my  agent.  Best to ask lots of questions with this in mind.
2017-3-26
Use props
geofox784
lvl.3
United States

Updated coverage with some new states. I added up the poluations of all states with coverage and although the map looks maybe 50% filled its actually close to 75% population coverage!

2017-3-30
Use props
OuchThatHurts
lvl.1
Flight distance : 932146 ft
United States

I live in IA and was able to be cover under State Farm for $55.00 a year.
2017-3-31
Use props
geofox784
lvl.3
United States

Updated "coverage".

I've been hearing some cool stories of some agents getting a flood of new customers from their info "posted on some forum"... I wonder where that came from? ; )

2017-4-17
Use props
Hugg727
lvl.2
Flight distance : 124895 ft
United States

Great info in here,  thank you for putting this together!!
2017-5-12
Use props
fans6c44dc60
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just got insured by State Farm 60 for the year no deductible. Live in Oregon
2017-5-13
Use props
aj0125
lvl.1
Flight distance : 225830 ft
United States

Guy above me beat me to it, I just got covered in Portland, Oregon for 60 a year no deductible.
2017-5-14
Use props
RowenWindsong
New
Flight distance : 24121 ft
United States

I found out that StateFarm is not accepting new business in Massachusetts, so you are up a creek unless you are a preexisting customer already. Does anyone have any other leads for a company that will insure drones in Massachusetts by chance?
2017-5-17
Use props
geofox784
lvl.3
United States

RowenWindsong Posted at 2017-5-17 09:18
I found out that StateFarm is not accepting new business in Massachusetts, so you are up a creek unless you are a preexisting customer already. Does anyone have any other leads for a company that will insure drones in Massachusetts by chance?

Just keep calling around. Also ask why they won't accept new business. The underwriter can deny it at their own discretion, but there are thousands of underwriters in each state.
2017-5-18
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 231217 ft
Canada

Geo , you get your bird back ???
2017-5-18
Use props
geofox784
lvl.3
United States

SkunkWerxs Posted at 2017-5-18 05:44
Geo , you get your bird back ???

From?      
2017-5-18
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 231217 ft
Canada

Oh I thought you sent it in for Repair --- sorry
2017-5-18
Use props
tshizdude
lvl.1
Flight distance : 730988 ft
United States

Anyone have to make any claims yet? I would love to read someone's experience with making a claim and how it worked out.
2017-5-18
Use props
geofox784
lvl.3
United States

tshizdude Posted at 2017-5-18 06:24
Anyone have to make any claims yet? I would love to read someone's experience with making a claim and how it worked out.

Have not yet, but from what I have read they just got a check no questions asked. A few had their premium go up (somewhere around $20) or the plan canceled after the first or second claim, but they also made claims within the first few months of having the policy.
2017-5-18
Use props
RowenWindsong
New
Flight distance : 24121 ft
United States

geofox784 Posted at 2017-5-18 05:36
Just keep calling around. Also ask why they won't accept new business. The underwriter can deny it at their own discretion, but there are thousands of underwriters in each state.

Thank you. I contacted a local agent in my town who is shopping around for me. They were very friendly about it and have never done it before so it's new water for them as well. I printed them the State Farm reddit post as well so they can get an idea of what State Farm does in case it helps them out.

I'll keep you guys posted with any developments from my state, might not be able to get State Farm but we might have another option others from my state could use that might help them out.
2017-5-19
Use props
Hugg727
lvl.2
Flight distance : 124895 ft
United States

Just got my Mavic covered by State Farm in NJ with the agent listed in the spreadsheet.  She laughed and said that they have been getting several request a week for drone coverage.

Thanks for putting this together!!
2017-5-25
Use props
geofox784
lvl.3
United States

Hugg727 Posted at 2017-5-25 03:24
Just got my Mavic covered by State Farm in NJ with the agent listed in the spreadsheet.  She laughed and said that they have been getting several request a week for drone coverage.

Thanks for putting this together!!

Glad it helped!

I asked my SF agent if he had seen any increase in drone coverage and he said "Yeah we have had this weird recent influx of people calling and asking" and I said "I can explain that....."
2017-5-25
Use props
Mk5_GTi
lvl.1
Flight distance : 260266 ft
United States

Covered in Lehi, Utah as of Monday.  Vic Hillman was the agent.
2017-5-25
Use props
Majestic
lvl.2
Flight distance : 541831 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just insured my Mavic. She was fast and informative. Paid via Credit Card over the phone. Very easy. Already have the binder in email as a PDF. Took 30 minutes or less from start to finish. I'm covered! Thanks Karla! (State Farm in Red Bank, NJ)
Thanks for this thread and for the spreadsheet. (It's how I found Karla)
I filled out the form myself as well.

Fred
2017-5-26
Use props
namja
lvl.1
Flight distance : 86112 ft
United States

(1) If you haven't already, get this ASAP. This is a fantastic deal.

(2) In almost all of the states (maybe all states), making a claim on your PAP will NOT raise your rates for your other insurance. It may increase your PAP insurance rates, but not your home or auto. I worked in insurance for many years, and we covered 40+ states. This was true in every state we covered (as of 2014).

(3) Most likely, SF will cancel this program in about 2 years, once the claims start flooding in and they start losing tons of money. Same thing happened 8 years ago with iPhones. It was $30/year for PAP with no deductible. Rumor is that they lost millions from iPhones. I was working at a SF agency when this happened. We had probably 40+ clients who took out PAP insurance on their iPhones, and about 50% made claims within 1 year.

2017-5-26
Use props
geofox784
lvl.3
United States

For those that worry that a claim will affect their other rates:
From my state farm agent:

"I would agree with how you put it in regards to it all is based on calculation of risk. Of course things happen in which a claim is necessary but a lot of it can be based off timing meaning that if in general you start a policy and within the first renewal or few months a claim is filed it doesn’t look the best as where if you are with an insurance company for 5 years and have a loss they will look at that completely differently. In direct connection with these PAP policies honestly in the 5 years I have been here I have only had 2 claims for those types of policies one for a computer and one for a wedding ring and no negative implications took place when a claim was filed so unfortunately I don’t have any experience on someone filing multiple claims on a PAP policy.

You are also correct in making the connection that filing a claim on a PAP policy would have no direct effect to your auto insurance as they are viewed completely differently. In your specific case in no way would having damage occur to your drone and filing a claim have any connection to your auto insurance thus raising your rates indicating that your driving record/habits are less because you had a claim on a different type of insurance policy. That goes for everything so by having a claim on your auto policy by no means would your homeowners or PAP policy be affected and you be viewed as a high risk.

Hopefully that all kind of makes sense but my guess is people are starting to get a little worried about how this may affect other insurance policies where in most cases auto/home/business/life insurance policies are viewed as separate entities and don’t really affect how the other types of policies are viewed. Let me know if you have any other questions and I’ll do my best to help. Thank you!"
2017-5-26
Use props
arcyenom
lvl.1
Flight distance : 85384 ft
United States

I just got mine for $30 a year. Thanks for this list!
2017-5-30
Use props
Uncle Stumpy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 140315 ft
United States

Thank you!!!!  None of the SF agents in my area have any idea of what is going on.
2017-6-6
Use props
HaddenUSAF
New
Flight distance : 6109 ft
United States

Thanks a million for posting the spreadsheet on here.  Called Greg Haddaway in Easton, Maryland and he had me covered in 30 minutes.  Sent him a photo of the receipt, answered a few questions about my home and distance from nearest Firehouse and I was all set for $60 per year.  

-Ben
2017-6-21
Use props
geofox784
lvl.3
United States

Updated "coverage".

2017-7-6
Use props
kl2525
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1283 ft
Canada

anyone knows if is there something like this for canada?
2017-7-6
Use props
fanscdfb5121
lvl.3
Flight distance : 236768 ft
United States

Thanks for the info. I will reach out to my local state farm agent.
2017-7-6
Use props
RCNJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 114665 ft
France

Shame Europe doesn't have anything like this we pay more with exchange rate vs $ also.
2017-7-6
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

I already had a SF PAP for my camera equipment, adding the Mavic made the policy go up $23 a year.
2017-7-6
Use props
redskinman
lvl.1
United States

Thanks for that spreadsheet,it was really helpful.I'm in Cypress,Tx and used the agent listed in cypress on the spreadsheet.What I didnt like is they would not insure it for replacement cost but only for what I paid which I thought was B.S..I got a great deal on ebay {months ago}for new P3A for 599.00 and lowest I see them for now is 799.00{surprised the price has not come down]
2017-7-10
Use props
geofox784
lvl.3
United States

redskinman Posted at 2017-7-10 08:58
Thanks for that spreadsheet,it was really helpful.I'm in Cypress,Tx and used the agent listed in cypress on the spreadsheet.What I didnt like is they would not insure it for replacement cost but only for what I paid which I thought was B.S..I got a great deal on ebay {months ago}for new P3A for 599.00 and lowest I see them for now is 799.00{surprised the price has not come down]

Try another agent. Mine did it for replacement value. I got an employee discount for $250 off and he still covered it for $1000.
2017-7-11
Use props
Nikon 1
lvl.4
United States

Has anyone gotten the PAP without having State Farm as your home / auto insurer?  I've talked to several State Farm agents in South Jersey and as soon as they find out I'm not a home or auto customer, it's a bums rush to get me out the door!

We already have an excellent Home & Auto insurance company, but they don't write this type of policy for a drone.
2017-7-16
Use props
geofox784
lvl.3
United States

Nikon 1 Posted at 2017-7-16 16:33
Has anyone gotten the PAP without having State Farm as your home / auto insurer?  I've talked to several State Farm agents in South Jersey and as soon as they find out I'm not a home or auto customer, it's a bums rush to get me out the door!

We already have an excellent Home & Auto insurance company, but they don't write this type of policy for a drone.

"Has anyone gotten the PAP without having State Farm as your home / auto insurer? "
Most of us
2017-7-20
Use props
dcorbo
lvl.2

United States

Hey Guys, I just noticed I'm on your list of agents in NJ so thanks for the add whoever sent it in! I know agents in NY, UT and CT that can write these polices too. I wrote about 15 drones in the last 2 months so if any of you guys have coverage questions or need help getting a quote feel free to give me a call or shoot me a text.
Dillon Corbo
Paramus NJ
Cell 973-479-9959
Dillon@jimbushagency.com

To answer a couple of questions I've seen on this page.
You DO NOT have to add home/ auto coverage to get Drone coverage. Agents telling you this are not being honest and you should move on to another agent. You will most likely be asked if you would like a quote but they should not be forcing anything on you.
As far as I know the only areas SF will not cover drones are California and Canada. We only operate in the US and Canada so all other areas are on your own.
You will need the following to get your policy started. Bill of Sale, Serial # and replacement cost for the drone.

2017-7-31
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules