Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Hello newbie
854 9 2017-3-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Andy1963
lvl.2
Flight distance : 40548 ft
United Kingdom

Hi just bought my first drone ever, received it yesterday and all went well with taking out the box and connecting the dtone to my Samsung s6 edge, all the firmware updates went well and had a play with the simulation program. I noticed that the left stick throttle down waz staying down but after searching theees forums found it normal. I not going to fly straight away probably train on the sim for a few mths before my first flight on dartmoor.I want to get to know it inside out before i
use it for real.
2017-3-7
Use props
shawn_
lvl.3
Flight distance : 256791 ft
United States

I wouldn't wait "months" to fly it. Fire up the sim, spend an hour or two understanding how it works, then start slowly in an open area outside. You'll learn more that way.
2017-3-7
Use props
djordan2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 79291 ft
United States

Be very careful of those propeller blades.  They can do real damage to human skin.  Don't fly it near people until you are very familiar with the controls.  Even then, I would not fly closer to people than about 10 or 15 feet. Stay above their heads when in close.  More than one of us have received  nasty cuts from not being careful.
2017-3-7
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

Yes, you need to get out there now and start using it. The sim won't teach you much, worth 1/2 hour with a cup of tea. Keep it beginner mode to start, 30m limit. You'll soon get bored of that and then you can disable it and let yourself free.

Please do not listen to the comment above about being 10-15 feet away or hovering above peoples heads. In the UK you'll need to be 50m from anyone not under your direct control, 30m during take off and landing, and NEVER above them to stay legal

If you really like being legal then most of Dartmoor is a no go area - http://www.dartmoor.gov.uk/visiting/vi-enjoyingdartmoor/drones

However most of us bend the rules when they appear to be stoooopid ones.
2017-3-7
Use props
TPVAerials
lvl.3

United States

Congrats on the new addition!
Like others have mentioned, fly the sim for a few hours just to get accustomed to how the drone will react to the adjustments made on the sticks, then get outside to a wide open area & practice in beginner mode at low altitudes. Don't let the drone leave your sight for your first few flights until you understand what your drone will do with each command you give it.
Good luck & happy flying!
2017-3-7
Use props
fivetonine
lvl.4
Flight distance : 985135 ft
  • >>>
Austria

I agree with the other guys - never spent a minute on that simulator, but watched a few videos on how the Phantom works. You can't really get anything wrong. It takes off on itself, and can land on itself. When you release the sticks it just hovers. And everything else? You'll figure it out. Just have fun, be safe and don't hurt anyone (including yourself)!
2017-3-7
Use props
Andy1963
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2017-3-7 07:16
Yes, you need to get out there now and start using it. The sim won't teach you much, worth 1/2 hour with a cup of tea. Keep it beginner mode to start, 30m limit. You'll soon get bored of that and then you can disable it and let yourself free.

Please do not listen to the comment above about being 10-15 feet away or hovering above peoples heads. In the UK you'll need to be 50m from anyone not under your direct control, 30m during take off and landing, and NEVER above them to stay legal

Thank-you for replying to my comment,  I don't intend to fly at very high altitudes as  my idea of getting a drone is to take my hobby of photography a little further, so instead of taking a photo straight on of a stone circle i can take a photo of the circle 20ft above. I have been doing photography as a hobby for nearly 20 years mostly of dartmoor and beaches, Where i live is on dartmoor national park & my sister has a farm 200 acres, so most of my flying will be well away from people. The weather probably wont let me fly for at least another 4 weeks as i live in a very open space & when its windy you feel every bit of wind, I'm looking forward to getting out with it and do my first flight.

2017-3-7
Use props
Andy1963
lvl.2
United Kingdom

fivetonine Posted at 2017-3-7 07:21
I agree with the other guys - never spent a minute on that simulator, but watched a few videos on how the Phantom works. You can't really get anything wrong. It takes off on itself, and can land on itself. When you release the sticks it just hovers. And everything else? You'll figure it out. Just have fun, be safe and don't hurt anyone (including yourself)!

Thank-you... We will most likely have wind & rain for the next 2 mths here, But I'm sure looking forward to my first flight.
2017-3-7
Use props
eliot may
lvl.3
Flight distance : 245367 ft
United States

my requirements for weather 1. above 20 degrees F (soft rule) 2. not too windy 3. not raining or snowing. I have not flown in the dark yet. Definitely start in a wide open space and keep your eye on the bird. Use the map at the bottom of the screen if you get lost. it will tell you where to go to return. Don't use RTH unless you have no other choice until you are seasoned, RTH can be tricky. Have fun, good luck
2017-3-7
Use props
Nigelbrinkmann
lvl.4
Flight distance : 586391 ft
Australia

You will be ok, set up the app and get to know all the operations within the app, the sim is....well I wont comment on that feature. I have never used it!
Set It up in beginner mode and off you go and fly! as said above big open area etc. You will be quite surprised how easy it is to fly.
2017-3-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules