8824 23 2017-3-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
travelrikk
Captain
Flight distance : 21877946 ft
  • >>>
Malta

Like most of you, I got the Mavic since it's very 'easy' to travel with considering it's size and weight.

Just realised though that most airlines have different lithium battery restrictions. Is there any article I can find online which list all the restrictions for different airlines?

I just checked with ryanair and their restriction:

- maximum of two spare lithium ion batteries in carry-on
- Battery terminals must be either recessed or packaged
- 160wh limit for all batteries
2017-3-8
Use props
fivetonine
lvl.4
Flight distance : 985135 ft
  • >>>
Austria

It is not a question of the airline but the country of origin and their airport security guidelines. Because the security check is done by the airport and not the airline. For sure all Lithium batteries must go to carry-on in all cases.
2017-3-8
Use props
travelrikk
Captain
  • >>>
Malta

fivetonine Posted at 2017-3-8 00:53
It is not a question of the airline but the country of origin and their airport security guidelines. Because the security check is done by the airport and not the airline. For sure all Lithium batteries must go to carry-on in all cases.

Makes sense, I was actually going to mention that cause I thought of it. Then it would be better to check airport restrictions but that will be more difficult to find.
2017-3-8
Use props
fivetonine
lvl.4
Flight distance : 985135 ft
  • >>>
Austria

travelrikk Posted at 2017-3-8 00:59
Makes sense, I was actually going to mention that cause I thought of it. Then it would be better to check airport restrictions but that will be more difficult to find.

True. I think in general, two batteries is always safe. Has allowed me to travel to 20+ countries with my drone.
2017-3-8
Use props
AACY
lvl.4
Flight distance : 518012 ft
United States

Normally as long you don't exceed 100Wh per battery you are gold and have "no restrictions" (don't be savage and try to take more than 5, as a rule of thumb) on how many batteries you can take with you this is quite standard on every country, we it comes to something above 100Wh things get trickier.

If you are flying always remember to have your batteries in your carry on baggage and in a LiPo Safe Bag. Normally, when they see you have taken the precautions and care of putting the batteries in a LiPo Bag they let them go no questions asked.

As @fivetonine is saying,  this depends a lot on the countrie's regulations, keep in mind that most of other countries regulations are an interpretation of the FAA.

When airlines get involved is when you have batteries higher than 100Wh and lower than 160Wh, then you need to ask for permission and sign a document which the airline then files with their insurance company, normally they do not allow more that two battery packs with this denomination.

Also, try not to be flashy about the fact you have a drone, the more casual you are and lower profile the better. Just keep the drone in its case or in your bag pack. For anything else I think you should be OK.
2017-3-8
Use props
Emu
lvl.1
Flight distance : 166194 ft
Australia

AACY Posted at 2017-3-8 01:18
Normally as long you don't exceed 100Wh per battery you are gold and have "no restrictions" (don't be savage and try to take more than 5, as a rule of thumb) on how many batteries you can take with you this is quite standard on every country, we it comes to something above 100Wh things get trickier.

If you are flying always remember to have your batteries in your carry on baggage and in a LiPo Safe Bag. Normally, when they see you have taken the precautions and care of putting the batteries in a LiPo Bag they let them go no questions asked.

What is a LiPo Safe Bag please?
2017-3-8
Use props
travelrikk
Captain
  • >>>
Malta

I know China are very strict on lithium batteries because when I travelled there they made take out ALL electronics involving batteries to inspect them. Only had a power bank, mobile and sony mirrorless at the time so can't really tell with a drone.
2017-3-8
Use props
AACY
lvl.4
United States

Emu Posted at 2017-3-8 01:23

See the attached pictures. The Lipo Safe Bag is a glass fiber inner lined bag that in the case that your battery catches fire, the damage will be contained. Some are better than others and will be even able to extinguish the fired quicker. Normally they do not cost more than 10USD.
Screenshot_20170308-172856.png
Screenshot_20170308-172757.png
Screenshot_20170308-172721.png
2017-3-8
Use props
AACY
lvl.4
United States

travelrikk Posted at 2017-3-8 01:31
I know China are very strict on lithium batteries because when I travelled there they made take out ALL electronics involving batteries to inspect them. Only had a power bank, mobile and sony mirrorless at the time so can't really tell with a drone.

I live in China, and haven't had any issues taking any of my batteries around, from my Mavic batteries to the more DIY ones that I have and use for my RC models and Race Quad.
2017-3-8
Use props
AACY
lvl.4
United States

There is something else which is important to mention. When travelling, remember to have the batteries charged at storage voltage which is about 60% of their total capacity or 3.80V per cell, at this voltages the chemistry of the battery remains quite stable and does not presents such a big danger in the case of a chemical run-out.
2017-3-8
Use props
travelrikk
Captain
  • >>>
Malta

AACY Posted at 2017-3-8 01:56
There is something else which is important to mention. When travelling, remember to have the batteries charged at storage voltage which is about 60% of their total capacity or 3.80V per cell, at this voltages the chemistry of the battery remains quite stable and does not presents such a big danger in the case of a chemical run-out.

DJI recommends to fully discharge batteries before flight.. I wouldn't risk it since it's still recommended to fully charge them before using them/
2017-3-8
Use props
travelrikk
Captain
  • >>>
Malta

AACY Posted at 2017-3-8 01:36
I live in China, and haven't had any issues taking any of my batteries around, from my Mavic batteries to the more DIY ones that I have and use for my RC models and Race Quad.

Where about in China? I was travelling to/from Beijing airport and they were checking everyone and even made me empty almost my whole backpack and I was with one arm in a sling..
2017-3-8
Use props
AACY
lvl.4
United States

travelrikk Posted at 2017-3-8 04:26
DJI recommends to fully discharge batteries before flight.. I wouldn't risk it since it's still recommended to fully charge them before using them/

I see.

This piece of knowledge that I am sharing comes from my RC background, in which I learnt that, over discharged (under 3.6V per cell) or fully topped batteries (at 4.2V per cell) are dangerous to their own extend, the most stable and safest voltage to keep your cells is at 3.8V per cell (roughly 40 to 60% charge it will depend). If we analyze a little bit, any device that you might buy (cellphones, computers, cameras, drones) out of the box they will come with exactly that amount of charge, and this goes to any kind of device that will endure during transit any kind of airfreight transportation.

You might think that all LiPo battery powered products will come in a special container on a slow boat or in a specially equipped airplane (yes they do take very strict precautions, that's why the foam used to protect your MAVIC batteries is completely anti-flammable).  But that's not the reality maybe on your next flight you would be seating above a big shipment of electronics full of LiPos. Courrier companies (UPS, FEDEX, Etc...) often piggyback on commercial flights to transport goods that need to be delivered in a short period of time and that cargo pays very well, another reason why we have such strict regulations on luggage weight when flying, is not mainly about the fuel, but is also to allow the carriers to squeeze as much cargo as possible.
2017-3-8
Use props
AACY
lvl.4
United States

travelrikk Posted at 2017-3-8 04:26
Where about in China? I was travelling to/from Beijing airport and they were checking everyone and even made me empty almost my whole backpack and I was with one arm in a sling..

In Shanghai but due to my work I am constantly travelling inside and haven't had any issue.

At any airport in China they have a very clear set of rules when it comes to the transport of spare LiPo batteries, and are one of the most advanced countries in the world when it comes to implement very clear, efficient and easy to understand regulations when flying, they even play you a video with really nice cartoons before doing security check, showing what you have to take out while doing your security check (they even explain very clearly to take all your LiPos out). And yes, they will ask you to open up your bag if you haven't taken your batteries out. What the Officer wants to see is the magic number of Wh to which you battery is rated, and as long you are under 100Wh you will be gold.
2017-3-8
Use props
AACY
lvl.4
United States

AACY Posted at 2017-3-8 05:53
I see.

This piece of knowledge that I am sharing comes from my RC background, in which I learnt that, over discharged (under 3.6V per cell) or fully topped batteries (at 4.2V per cell) are dangerous to their own extend, the most stable and safest voltage to keep your cells is at 3.8V per cell (roughly 40 to 60% charge it will depend). If we analyze a little bit, any device that you might buy (cellphones, computers, cameras, drones) out of the box they will come with exactly that amount of charge, and this goes to any kind of device that will endure during transit any kind of airfreight transportation.

Sorry, small mistake over discharged is under 3.4V per cell
2017-3-8
Use props
KevDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475522 ft
United States

How come here we can take unlimited batteries lol, jk... like 3 for me. I want to just put 2 in one and one in another.
2017-3-8
Use props
travelrikk
Captain
  • >>>
Malta

KevDrones Posted at 2017-3-8 06:07
How come here we can take unlimited batteries lol, jk... like 3 for me. I want to just put 2 in one and one in another.

I've got 5 in total, but I won't risk travelling with more than 3.
2017-3-10
Use props
UltraKD
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8579 ft
United States

Hey Everyone, I work in the aviation industy in the US the link below is a PDF from the FAA that has Guidance on LI-ion and other battery types on all us carriers.
Offical FAA Guidance on fliying with Li-ion batteries
2017-3-12
Use props
John Kean
lvl.1

Cyprus

Dear Sir  Can I use my Mavic Pro Platinum batteries for another drone.  I bought it was a gift and it was used twice and now got sea water damage.  I cannot afford to repair (at €900) but may buy a cheaper one.   Help please.
2018-7-31
Use props
Hestia
lvl.4
Flight distance : 135381 ft
Italy

John Kean Posted at 2018-7-31 00:14
Dear Sir  Can I use my Mavic Pro Platinum batteries for another drone.  I bought it was a gift and it was used twice and now got sea water damage.  I cannot afford to repair (at €900) but may buy a cheaper one.   Help please.

Not possible, you can only use those in another mavic pro/pro platinum.
2018-7-31
Use props
Exib
Second Officer
Flight distance : 153760 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

travelrikk Posted at 2017-3-8 00:59

There are battery terminal covers for sale on the auction site beginning with 'E'
2018-7-31
Use props
Exib
Second Officer
Flight distance : 153760 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Emu Posted at 2017-3-8 01:23

They are listed on the DJI web page (Store)
2018-7-31
Use props
fansdfe30fe4
New

Please can somebody help me to know how much lithium contains a phantom 3 standard battery
2019-9-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules