Washed out image
7733 18 2017-3-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
madispuk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 133957 ft
Estonia

I'm not sure if it's a problem with some settings or the drone itself, but sometimes (not always!) I get totally washed out image. You can see from the background that all the details are lost.Does anyone have an idea what the issue might be? Is it bad focusing? I don't really believe it because the houses just over the road are in focus. I usually tap to focus and then switch to manual focusing. Is it just bad light conditions for this consumer lever camera?

My settings:
4K 30FPS
D-Log (-1 -3 -3)
ISO 100

RAW

GRADED

After grading you can also see some aliasing errors (yellow house in the middle). I exported the video with high bitrate (set it to 80). Do you know what's producing it?
blurry-background.png
2017-3-9
Use props
AESTHETIC VIEWS
lvl.2
United States

nice video man
2017-3-9
Use props
BentonJoyce
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234318 ft
United States

My guess would be the settings you are using is what is causing it and I'm not sure what you're doing in post but it could be a result of over sharpening. I tend to only go down as far as -1 -1 -1 if you crank everything down that low thing will definitely start getting washed out. Also many people like filming in D-log but it is a very difficult mode to edit in post. I'm not 100% about any of this but those are my guesses for what could be causing it just try playing around with settings a bit. Good luck hope this helps
2017-3-9
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

In low light negative sharpening values will work against you -- only use negative values in strong light.
2017-3-9
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Can't seem to edit posts on mobile, sigh. Wanted to add the reason negative sharpening is problematic in lower light is due to some fairly aggressive noise reduction, and many find positive sharpening values in such conditions help.
2017-3-9
Use props
M Stuart K
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1267717 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-3-9 09:11
Can't seem to edit posts on mobile, sigh. Wanted to add the reason negative sharpening is problematic in lower light is due to some fairly aggressive noise reduction, and many find positive sharpening values in such conditions help.

Thanks; I needed to be reminded of your statement as when I am flying I tend to forget this.
2017-3-9
Use props
Mir
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2718491 ft
  • >>>
United States

That is classic example of the infamous "Water Color Effect" problem. I wish we could just turn off that noise reduction, other software are much more efficient in removing it.
2017-3-9
Use props
madispuk
lvl.3
Estonia

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-3-9 08:59
In low light negative sharpening values will work against you -- only use negative values in strong light.

Thank you for the answers!
I actually used ND32 to get shutter speed to 50 (frame rate 30) with ISO 100. That should not be called low light I think. I have had the same problem with bright day and without ND filters (shutter around 1000). Is it really this -1 -3 -3? Need to give it a test, but these settings are usually suggested when filming with d-log. It looks like some kind of compression when there's too much detail in trees etc.
2017-3-9
Use props
madispuk
lvl.3
Estonia

This thread gives a lot of answers.
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... mp;page=1#pid663131

TLDR, sharpness settings:
-1 only for perfect light condition (not a lot of shadows at all)
0 if there's not much details in shadows (you don't care if they get blurry)
+1 if you want to preserve details in shadows (introduces noise)
+2 if you want to preserve more details in shadows (introduces more noise)

Selecting the right value is just a matter of experience. Definitely should try different conditions and settings.
2017-3-9
Use props
Watty2000
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1074301 ft
United Kingdom

From my pretty extensive tests this watercolor effect is caused by low shutter speed. If I use a filter to bring my shutter speed down, the 'mushy trees' effect always appears. Although I read of people recommending shutter speed to be roughly double the frame rate (e.g. 1/60th of a second for 30fps video) I find this guarantees tree mush and 1/200th seems to be the sweet spot for crisp quality and eye-pleasing motion blur..
2017-3-9
Use props
alirz5
lvl.4
Flight distance : 609833 ft
Canada

Watty2000 Posted at 2017-3-9 16:48
From my pretty extensive tests this watercolor effect is caused by low shutter speed. If I use a filter to bring my shutter speed down, the 'mushy trees' effect always appears. Although I read of people recommending shutter speed to be roughly double the frame rate (e.g. 1/60th of a second for 30fps video) I find this guarantees tree mush and 1/200th seems to be the sweet spot for crisp quality and eye-pleasing motion blur..

I kind of tend to agree. I've seen a lot more mushy texture when I used ND filters, which I use almost all the time. A while back I did a test without  a ND filter and I must say, there was big improvement in video sharpness. So it's possible that slow shutter speed somehow introduces more noise reduction?
2017-3-9
Use props
madispuk
lvl.3
Estonia

Watty2000 Posted at 2017-3-9 16:48

I actually did a test without ND too. It's much better, but trees still have this water colour effect, so I assume it has something to do with style (-1 -3 -3) too.
2017-3-9
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Have you tried to test with the default camera settings?
2017-3-10
Use props
madispuk
lvl.3
Estonia

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-3-10 01:49
Have you tried to test with the default camera settings?

Of course. Default settings are perfect in some conditions . What I am trying to do is get the best quality in every situation, I can't really believe that the default settings can always be the best.
And it would be really interesting to get useful comments from DJI about how these different settings work. What is the difference between +3 and -3 sharpen? Is it sharpen at all or just noise reduction in action?
I did another test. Check the difference between negative and positive sharpen.

DJI Mindy, when should I use negative sharpen? Is there some specific conditions for it? I would love to hear something from DJI.
2017-3-10
Use props
SkySailorMan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2170768 ft
United States

I find these threads very interesting. Over the last couple months I've shot dozens of videos to use as "test footage" in various camera settings, video resolutions, with & without filters. I have yet to find the sweet spot for any single shooting environment. I'd like to be able to evaluate a shot, consider the the subject, the motion, lighting, subject texture, white balance, etc.etc., and then know in my mind exactly what settings I need to dial-in and what filters to use if any. It may be that the aerial shooting environment is so dynamic, that it's virtually impossible to get everything exactly right. OTOH, I've seen some brilliant videos shot with Mavics that are very good (some near perfection) on all accounts.
2017-3-10
Use props
Mir
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2718491 ft
  • >>>
United States

When I first received the mavic in November.. you couldn't get results like this. Seemed like Sharpness setting actually changed the sharpening. I wonder which firmware changed things around, because now the different between +1 and -1 Sharpen is pretty dramatic. It's just like a Raw vs Jpeg still shot.

I now shoot at Sharpness +2. I also don't care at all for the Mavic's noise reduction, I wish they would change it or remove it. It dramatically lowers the quality of the video.
2017-3-10
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

madispuk Posted at 2017-3-10 05:52
Of course. Default settings are perfect in some conditions . What I am trying to do is get the best quality in every situation, I can't really believe that the default settings can always be the best.
And it would be really interesting to get useful comments from DJI about how these different settings work. What is the difference between +3 and -3 sharpen? Is it sharpen at all or just noise reduction in action?
I did another test. Check the difference between negative and positive sharpen.

I cannot tell which settings should be the best.
When to use negative sharpness that depends on you.
2017-3-12
Use props
mcd0nald
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3717 ft
Australia

hmm for first two clips i didnt nail the focus !! since my centre af point didnt give me good result
i used ND64 and not sure if that is a washed out image
2017-3-12
Use props
Walter Lanza
New

United States

I can’t get clear pictures when is sunny with my dji mini 3 pro
2023-6-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules