Travel to London with Mavic Pro
2902 5 2017-3-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
drgusta
New

United States

This Sunday I am traveling out of the country for the first time and I am bringing my Mavic Pro with me. With that being said I have a few questions:
1) Any tips for making sure getting through customs/TSA will be as smooth as possible? I have already done quite a bit of research and the only thing that might cause an issue is the 4 Mavic batteries that will be in my carry on. Has anyone had any trouble with this before? I am a 20-year-old college student flying on Virgin Atlantic to Gatwick (LGW) if that effects anything.

2) I have researched UK drone laws and see that the regulations are fairly similar to the ones here in the states with a few exceptions. Anything I should specifically watch out for, last thing I want is to have my Mavic taken away?

3) Lastly, are there any specific filming locations that I should check out? So far the place I am looking forward to filming the most is the White Cliffs of Dover, from what I have read there should be no problem with me flying there.

I appreciate any help you guys can provide, fly safe!

2017-3-9
Use props
Airobotix
lvl.4
Flight distance : 357310 ft
United Kingdom

Anywhere outside a big town should be okay. Download Drone Assist, it's a free app and shows all the safe to fly zones. Bear in mind that the ones you really have to avoid are the ones marked in red on this app. Good luck and enjoy our little island!
2017-3-9
Use props
SteveDickin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 776007 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Look forward to see your views of our country.  As said above, just avoid flying in the major cities and the usual stuff about flying where people are congregated and built up areas.  Looks like the weather is improving for you as its been a very poor few months for flying around the UK.
2017-3-9
Use props
AACY
lvl.4
Flight distance : 518012 ft
United States

You can have a look at this post regarding the batteries.

http://forum.dji.com/thread-87969-1-1.html
2017-3-9
Use props
jjs007
lvl.2
Flight distance : 932789 ft
United States

Where can we see your drone pictures/videos of England? I'd love to see how you captured the White Cliffs in particular!
2017-4-8
Use props
Masemoto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5137425 ft
  • >>>
United States

I was in London and France in Feb.  Don't worry about taking it on the plane as no TSA security (US, England, France) even looked twice.

Before I went I did some research and found that London is restrictive on their rules and there are not a lot of places that will allow you to fly legally in the city.  Helpful links >>

www.caa.co.uk
http://www.noflydrones.co.uk

Only a couple of parks in London, Victoria Park and Hempstead Heath I found don't have explicit rules forbidding flying and were mentioned on chat boards as places to fly. Royal parks are no fly zones. Anywhere else in the city it's pretty much not allowed either.  I would expect with the recent events there security is pretty heightened in the city too so keep an eye out.  Outside the city I wouldn't worry so much.

I flew in Victoria Park only. It was a bit sketchy as the DJI Go app popped up at least one warning that I was in an area that required permission and/or had restrictions etc... Seemed to be on a flight path to a local airport too as there were several airliners flying over and low flying helicopters. It was a nice park but I would probably not fly there again.  Video >>

Have fun, safe flying!

2017-4-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules