Can I charge rc and fly at the same time?
3111 33 2017-3-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Melifaro
lvl.3
Flight distance : 71778 ft
Russia

So can I use power bank for example and charge rc when flying ?
2017-3-9
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

You would have to have a power bank that output the right voltage first, do you have one in mind?

2017-3-9
Use props
Melifaro
lvl.3
Russia

Geebax Posted at 2017-3-9 19:25
You would have to have a power bank that output the right voltage first, do you have one in mind?

Nope, yet. I think it's not hard to find one to I am wrong?
2017-3-9
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Melifaro Posted at 2017-3-9 19:32
Nope, yet. I think it's not hard to find one to I am wrong?

Most power banks are designed to charge relatively low voltage devices, you would need one that can output 17.5 volts DC.
2017-3-9
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

Geebax Posted at 2017-3-9 20:11
Most power banks are designed to charge relatively low voltage devices, you would need one that can output 17.5 volts DC.

I fly 3 batteries or one hour and still have 3 green lights on RC.

So unless you are flying with 9 batteries and not coming home why the need for a recharge?

I think the RC is rated for 4 hours.
2017-3-9
Use props
QuanthonyTrang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

You can. Just get a powerbank that has 2.1A. But really, you should get a fair few flights before you are on the last bar.
2017-3-9
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

QuanthonyTrang Posted at 2017-3-9 21:10
You can. Just get a powerbank that has 2.1A. But really, you should get a fair few flights before you are on the last bar.

The issue is not the current, it must put out around 17.5 volts DC. If it does not meet that specification, it will not charge the RC.
2017-3-9
Use props
QuanthonyTrang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2017-3-9 21:14
The issue is not the current, it must put out around 17.5 volts DC. If it does not meet that specification, it will not charge the RC.

Oh yes. I forgot the P3 Controllers use the circular holes and uses the power supply. Got my wires crossed with the mavic..
2017-3-9
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

It could be possible, but it's not recommended. It could potentially overheat the battery.
2017-3-9
Use props
Melifaro
lvl.3
Russia

I use phantom magic by papa tita, it's 27 db mode, so now rc can't hold all three batteries I have. That's why question appears
2017-3-10
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Geebax Posted at 2017-3-9 20:11

Sorry but I had to laugh ...

He was asking about RC in the Standard / 4K section ... which uses a standard Mobile Phone rated charger ....

Any of the usual power banks you can buy for portable mobile charging are fine for this and YES - the P3S only has charging via the USB port and will charge up fine while flying.

The RC is supposed to be good for up to 20 flights ... if we average 15mins each ... that's 5hrs use ... but remember its a single LiPo cell in there and so you should deduct at least 1 hr of that ...

I have 3 flight batterys and I can fly those to 19 - 20mins each and still have 3 good greens on my RC ...

I do have a 3500mAh Power bank I carry for my mobiles and that does it nicely..... if ever needed..... but its only a top up ...
As regards the other RC for other Phantoms - I doubt very much they are getting 17.5V stuffed in via that round socket ... eg the Pro has a 2S LiPO (7.4V nominal in it ...) so I expect charger has a reduction circuit ....

Nigel

2017-3-10
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

To OP ... if you have a Phantom 3 Standard - then the answer is a 100% YES you can.

Just get yourself one of those Mobile Phone 5V charger sticks ... (the charger will not overcharge the 1S LiPo cell in the RC).

Nigel
2017-3-10
Use props
Melifaro
lvl.3
Russia

Thx, glad to hear that
2017-3-10
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Melifaro Posted at 2017-3-10 00:04
I use phantom magic by papa tita, it's 27 db mode, so now rc can't hold all three batteries I have. That's why question appears

Very strange ... I have 27db with Icarus and I have no problem to fly more than 3 batterys ...

27db is about 0.5W I believe ... RC has 2.6AH at 3.7V ... total 9.6W nominal

So if you are not getting your 3 batterys and more - then somethings not right.

Nigel
2017-3-10
Use props
Melifaro
lvl.3
Russia

Hm, I'll try with fully charged rc then... cause yesterday iv done 2 batteries and then I download videos via wifi and rc died, about half of an hour copying
2017-3-10
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

UGH !!

Videos are much faster to download by removing SD card and putting to PC / Mac with card reader ... using the AC connection is SLOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW !! and not needed.

mmmmm just reading your post ... downloading via WiFi ? When I download from AC - I use a cable ... but that is so slow !!

Nigel
2017-3-10
Use props
Melifaro
lvl.3
Russia

I don't have pc or laptop, I use iPad mini so only wifi...
2017-3-10
Use props
Melifaro
lvl.3
Russia

I make small videos with music and visual effects using imovie. Sorry for bad English
2017-3-10
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

No problem ...

I also have a OTG card reader that fits iPad and Android .... takes standard, Micro and mini SD as well normal USB to it so they connect to tablet.

Nigel
2017-3-10
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

solentlife Posted at 2017-3-10 01:36
Sorry but I had to laugh ...

He was asking about RC in the Standard / 4K section ... which uses a standard Mobile Phone rated charger ....

Ah yes, I keep forgetting to look at the forum section, did not notice it was Standard. I wish it was shown more prominently wqhen you open the thread.
2017-3-10
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Geebax Posted at 2017-3-10 12:40
Ah yes, I keep forgetting to look at the forum section, did not notice it was Standard. I wish it was shown more prominently wqhen you open the thread.

It's why I do not follow the ALL / General listing ... you're not only one who does it.

I know some may disagree with me - but I think a general listing like it should be stopped. Its not so much for those in the know ... its for newbies who have questions and need info.

The answers can lead them 'up the garden path' at times and confusing.

I don't know any other forum who does it like here ... and I run / started quite a number as well.

Most will have an unread posts listing - but then its clear where and what they are.

GB ... but still the charger you use for the Adv or Pro will never put 17.5V to the RC ... as that has a 2S LiPo at 7.4V .... if you put 17.5V to the RC - it would need serious regulator before that pack ... something that no Tx I know of has ... the heat created would be awful ... burning of all that excess !!

Nigel
2017-3-10
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

solentlife Posted at 2017-3-10 12:53
It's why I do not follow the ALL / General listing ... you're not only one who does it.

I know some may disagree with me - but I think a general listing like it should be stopped. Its not so much for those in the know ... its for newbies who have questions and need info.

'GB ... but still the charger you use for the Adv or Pro will never put 17.5V to the RC ... as that has a 2S LiPo at 7.4V .... if you put 17.5V to the RC - it would need serious regulator before that pack ... something that no Tx I know of has ... the heat created would be awful ... burning of all that excess !! '

Nevertheless, it does put out 17.5 volts, I just measured it. But it is not an issue for a modern switching regulator to deal with that, the most basic regulator handles around 30 volts on its input.
2017-3-10
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Geebax Posted at 2017-3-10 13:00
'GB ... but still the charger you use for the Adv or Pro will never put 17.5V to the RC ... as that has a 2S LiPo at 7.4V .... if you put 17.5V to the RC - it would need serious regulator before that pack ... something that no Tx I know of has ... the heat created would be awful ... burning of all that excess !! '

Nevertheless, it does put out 17.5 volts, I just measured it. But it is not an issue for a modern switching regulator to deal with that, the most basic regulator handles around 30 volts on its input.

Interesting ... I assume you have the two lead charger .. one lead to AC and other to RC ?

Standard charger doesn't have it as not needed.

I wonder if what you are getting on the MM is the unloaded voltage ... some wall chargers will show crazy numbers until plugged into their item which then provides the load ...

Its like trying to measure some uBEC's .... you get silly numbers ..

Nigel
2017-3-10
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

solentlife Posted at 2017-3-10 13:10
Interesting ... I assume you have the two lead charger .. one lead to AC and other to RC ?

Standard charger doesn't have it as not needed.

While you could say it is a two lead charger, it is simply a split about 4 inches from the plug end, so the feed to the RC plug is the same as the battery. And it still reads 17.5 volts when it is connected to a battery to charge.
2017-3-10
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
First Officer
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

solentlife Posted at 2017-3-10 12:53

Excess heat would be true if it were a linear regulator, switching regulators are much more efficient=less wasted energy as heat.
2017-3-10
Use props
Airmunn
lvl.1

United States

That should not be a problem. I have used the RC while its charging. The battery in the RC is only a 2S . Thats only 7.4 volts.  Get the car charger option and set up a 4S or 5s battery to that. That would be the safe way to go. The back of the car charger says it will take 12 to 26 volts DC input.  Good to have the extra time if your on a long hike and far from the car.  GOOD LUCK
2017-3-10
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Airmunn Posted at 2017-3-10 18:04
That should not be a problem. I have used the RC while its charging. The battery in the RC is only a 2S . Thats only 7.4 volts.  Get the car charger option and set up a 4S or 5s battery to that. That would be the safe way to go. The back of the car charger says it will take 12 to 26 volts DC input.  Good to have the extra time if your on a long hike and far from the car.  GOOD LUCK

If you are replying to OP - then the battery in a Standard RC is a 1S at 3.6v not a 2S.

Nigel
2017-3-10
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

KM5RG-Robert Posted at 2017-3-10 16:47
Excess heat would be true if it were a linear regulator, switching regulators are much more efficient=less wasted energy as heat.

Very true ....

Just surprised that put such voltage to an RC ...
Another example of cheap brick charger.

Nigel
2017-3-10
Use props
Melifaro
lvl.3
Russia

Nigel, thx a lot. I look forward for apple sd card reader. Do u know apple gave access to folders? Or it's only for transfer photos and videos?
2017-3-11
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Melifaro Posted at 2017-3-11 01:05
Nigel, thx a lot. I look forward for apple sd card reader. Do u know apple gave access to folders? Or it's only for transfer photos and videos?

Sorry M ... I don't use Apple at all ....

All I know is you can get readers for them ... I have one in front of me now ... bought in local Supermarket for about $3 .... says it works for Apple and Android as well as PC / Mac ...

It has the standard Apple / Android plug and then the little box at end has all the different size sockets for USB / SD cards etc.

Nigel
2017-3-11
Use props
Maxxpsoft
lvl.3
Flight distance : 380594 ft
United States

Melifaro Posted at 2017-3-11 01:05

To gain access to stuff within the folder's you have to use iTunes
2017-3-11
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

"Maxxpsoft" .... are you saying that he cannot put a card reader to his ios device and transfer his SD card video to it ?

Are you not able to 'explore' folders on an iPad etc. ?

Nigel
2017-3-11
Use props
DaveH_au
lvl.2

Australia

I have charged my RC a number of times off a USB power bank. No problem.

Above someone stated the RC had a 1S LiPo. I believe the battery in mine is an 18650 Lithium Ion battery same as those in Led torches. Not sure what is put in those sold in other parts of the world.

Any USB power bank or outlet capable of an amp or more is fine for charging. The input to the RC only uses about 1A.  Only problem trying to charge while flying is that the input may not supply enough current to overcome the RC usage.  Consequently you will still be discharging the internal battery just not as fast.
2017-3-11
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

DaveH_au Posted at 2017-3-11 06:31
I have charged my RC a number of times off a USB power bank. No problem.

Above someone stated the RC had a 1S LiPo. I believe the battery in mine is an 18650 Lithium Ion battery same as those in Led torches. Not sure what is put in those sold in other parts of the world.

The battery in the standard is quoted as an 18650 Battery but is a 1S Lipo ....

Check the back of your controller ... in small letters bottom right corner clearly stated :

Battery LiPo 2600mAh 3.6V

Which is a 1S LiPo ...

Lithium Ion and LiPo use the same 'chemistry' ..... LiPo just stipulates its carrier base construction.

Nigel
2017-3-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules