Gimbal Drift Issue (Post Repair Work and Firmware Update)
3130 25 2017-3-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cameron McGeorg
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1195837 ft
New Zealand

Recently had a crash and the gimbal got shattered. I sent it away to be repaired at it came back within two weeks. Please not this was NOT a warranty claim, just a straight repair.

First flight after getting it back and updating the firmware, it has the issue demonstrated below in the video. I am not sure if this is a technical (repair fault) issue, or software/firmware issue. Any help would be appreciated.

DJI Ken (and other official DJI people) - Any Ideas ??

Cheers

2017-3-9
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hello, I have checked your video.
What about moving the stick gently?
2017-3-10
Use props
Cameron McGeorg
lvl.2
New Zealand

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-3-10 02:17
Hello, I have checked your video.
What about moving the stick gently?

I have also tried that, however in the video there is a before and after in which the speed of yaw is similar!
2017-3-10
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't see anything wrong, you just need to pan much much slower.
Also, there's a "Enable Synchronized Gimbal Pan Follow" switch in the Advanced Gimbal Settings, is that on?
2017-3-10
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-3-10 11:14
Also, there's a "Enable Synchronized Gimbal Pan Follow" switch in the Advanced Gimbal Settings, is that on?

Don't you see it?
Before, the image comes to a full stop, after stopping the pan., After, he stops and the it start to still continue to move. There is even a part where he is panning the LEFT and after stopping the pan, it immediately starts panning slow to the right.
2017-3-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Cameron McGeorg Posted at 2017-3-10 11:03
I have also tried that, however in the video there is a before and after in which the speed of yaw is similar!

That looks ok to me as all have said no need to pan so quick.
2017-3-10
Use props
daivatam
lvl.3
Flight distance : 473389 ft
Romania

I think It is  a problem of gimbal "PID" software calibration like on standard other brands gimbal's.  Gimbal overcompensate clearly visible in the movie....the technicians from dji should connect the gimbal to the software interface and adjust gimbal parameters...because that software it is not public available...
Try to re-calibrate the imu and gimbal...maybe the calibration of the gimbal has some error in it and maybe it will stabilize, I do not know how dji system work and his inter-dependencies .
2017-3-10
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Nees Posted at 2017-3-10 12:26
Don't you see it?
Before, the image comes to a full stop, after stopping the pan., After, he stops and the it start to still continue to move. There is even a part where he is panning the LEFT and after stopping the pan, it immediately starts panning slow to the right.

It does that to try and smooth out the video when there's jerky and sudden stops so your footage seems smoother.
This is a flying camera and to get nice video you need to be smooth on the sticks.If you disable Enable Synchronized Gimbal Pan Follow it will make it less smooth if that's what the OP is going for.
If you want the FPV view and to show each movement then you need to switch to "FPV" view from the gimbal settings.

2017-3-10
Use props
Cameron McGeorg
lvl.2
New Zealand

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-3-10 11:14

Yeah Thanks for That, Even Slowly it is over compensating. Plus if you look at the before and after footage there is one clip of a similar speed where it doesn't continue to yaw at the end, but it does post repair. Also please see the last clip in the post repair work, it continues to drift for a good 5-7 seconds and I cut that in total it drifted after yaw completion for about 15-20 seconds - that is one massive compensation if you ask me. But thanks for your help, I will try a slower spin when the weather allows.
2017-3-10
Use props
Cameron McGeorg
lvl.2
New Zealand

daivatam Posted at 2017-3-10 13:11
I think It is  a problem of gimbal "PID" software calibration like on standard other brands gimbal's.  Gimbal overcompensate clearly visible in the movie....the technicians from dji should connect the gimbal to the software interface and adjust gimbal parameters...because that software it is not public available...
Try to re-calibrate the imu and gimbal...maybe the calibration of the gimbal has some error in it and maybe it will stabilize, I do not know how dji system work and his inter-dependencies .

Yeah Thanks Daivatam, I just want to avoid sending it away to be fixed as I have already payed a pricey repair cost post crash, I won't send it away until I can be assured that I won't have to pay. I have done re-calibrations and it hasn't fixed, so I think it is a faulty repair job, but can't be sure at this stage.
2017-3-10
Use props
Cameron McGeorg
lvl.2
New Zealand

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-3-10 13:11
It does that to try and smooth out the video when there's jerky and sudden stops so your footage seems smoother.
This is a flying camera and to get nice video you need to be smooth on the sticks.If you disable Enable Synchronized Gimbal Pan Follow it will make it less smooth if that's what the OP is going for.
If you want the FPV view and to show each movement then you need to switch to "FPV" view from the gimbal settings.

Thanks DJI-Ken, I have tried most settings and all re calibrations, but I will try again and also repeat the test (for the thrid time doing slower turns as well as faster turns). Your help is appreciated heaps.
2017-3-10
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Cameron McGeorg Posted at 2017-3-10 13:24
Thanks DJI-Ken, I have tried most settings and all re calibrations, but I will try again and also repeat the test (for the thrid time doing slower turns as well as faster turns). Your help is appreciated heaps.

If your last turn in the end of the video and that's drift for the last 8 seconds and not you slowly panning then that is not normal. I didn't look at the end of the video earlier.
disable the Synchronized Follow and if it still does it then I would connect it to the Assistant2 and do a factory restore. And if it still does it then refresh the firmware, and if it still persists then I'd contact support.
2017-3-10
Use props
Cameron McGeorg
lvl.2
New Zealand

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-3-10 13:50
If your last turn in the end of the video and that's drift for the last 8 seconds and not you slowly panning then that is not normal. I didn't look at the end of the video earlier.
disable the Synchronized Follow and if it still does it then I would connect it to the Assistant2 and do a factory restore. And if it still does it then refresh the firmware, and if it still persists then I'd contact support.

Thanks Ken, No Worries. I thought you might not have seen the end of the video. Thanks for that help, I will try those things, in that order and see what happens !!
If i do a factory reset, and the probelm isn't fixed will this void any chances I have of proving/getting DJI to fix the reapir issue free of charge !!
2017-3-10
Use props
Cameron McGeorg
lvl.2
New Zealand

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-3-10 13:50

Also do you know if DJI is planning to introduce an infinite focus (as well as the tap to focus) mode on the mavic pro so it is like the phantom 3 and 4 camera ?
2017-3-10
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Cameron McGeorg Posted at 2017-3-10 13:58
Also do you know if DJI is planning to introduce an infinite focus (as well as the tap to focus) mode on the mavic pro so it is like the phantom 3 and 4 camera ?

Next to the AE Lock is the AutoFocus/Manual Focus.
In manual you can set the focus from Macro to Infinity.
In AFC it will automatically focus, and it will also tap to focus.
2017-3-10
Use props
Cameron McGeorg
lvl.2
New Zealand

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-3-10 14:10
Next to the AE Lock is the AutoFocus/Manual Focus.
In manual you can set the focus from Macro to Infinity.
In AFC it will automatically focus, and it will also tap to focus.

When I slide that slider up to infinity it stays blurry is there anything else I have to do ?
Also
If i do a factory reset, and the probelm isn't fixed will this void any chances I have of proving/getting DJI to fix the reapir issue free of charge !! (with regards to the gimbal drifting issue)
2017-3-10
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Cameron McGeorg Posted at 2017-3-10 14:11
When I slide that slider up to infinity it stays blurry is there anything else I have to do ?
Also
If i do a factory reset, and the probelm isn't fixed will this void any chances I have of proving/getting DJI to fix the reapir issue free of charge !! (with regards to the gimbal drifting issue)

It's probably blurry because you may be inside and whatever the camera sees is too close. take it outside and hover about 50ft and then try it.
And yes, if the camera keeps doing that 8 second drift after troubleshooting then you can sent it in for warranty repair. That's as long as there's been no crash or hard landings.
2017-3-10
Use props
Cameron McGeorg
lvl.2
New Zealand

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-3-10 14:16
It's probably blurry because you may be inside and whatever the camera sees is too close. take it outside and hover about 50ft and then try it.
And yes, if the camera keeps doing that 8 second drift after troubleshooting then you can sent it in for warranty repair. That's as long as there's been no crash or hard landings.

Even at 100ft the camera still comes out blurry, any ideas ?
2017-3-10
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Cameron McGeorg Posted at 2017-3-10 14:22
Even at 100ft the camera still comes out blurry, any ideas ?

If in manual focus and it's blurry all throughout the slider and your lens is clean then there may be something up with the camera.
In that case I would contact support and send it in to see what's up with it.And you're talking blurry when th camera is still right? Because it's normal to be blurry witht he panning that you are doing.
2017-3-10
Use props
Cameron McGeorg
lvl.2
New Zealand

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-3-10 14:28
If in manual focus and it's blurry all throughout the slider and your lens is clean then there may be something up with the camera.
In that case I would contact support and send it in to see what's up with it.And you're talking blurry when th camera is still right? Because it's normal to be blurry witht he panning that you are doing.

DJI-Ken,
2 Questions/Statements I Would Appreciate if You Could Respond To:

1. I am able to find focus on the along the slider, I am just seeing blurry when the focus slider reaches infinity. I understand from research and other people with Mavics this shouldn't happen. That when I slide all the way to infinity and I am up in the air a decent way (100 ft or so) then the camera should have infinite focus ? Is this correct, if it is not, then what is wrong with mine and how can I fix it ?? !!

2. The gimbal drifting issue has occurred AFTER the repair job of DJI. It was sent away for a repair job because of a crash that broke the camera arm and mounting plate (amoung other things) - but NOT the camera lens or gimbal motors. If I do a factory restore now (POST CRASH REPAIR) and the issue is not resolved, then by having restored it, will I have voided any chance of getting them to have another look at their original work and either adjusting, tuning, or repairing again - Free of Charge.
2017-3-10
Use props
daivatam
lvl.3
Flight distance : 473389 ft
Romania

manual infinity focus will pass beyond infinity on al mavic from what I know...also on mine...the end of course it is not right focus you need to back up a little...
2017-3-10
Use props
Cameron McGeorg
lvl.2
New Zealand

daivatam Posted at 2017-3-10 14:52
manual infinity focus will pass beyond infinity on al mavic from what I know...also on mine...the end of course it is not right focus you need to back up a little...

Thanks, that might explain my issues !!!
2017-3-10
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Cameron McGeorg Posted at 2017-3-10 14:44
DJI-Ken,
2 Questions/Statements I Would Appreciate if You Could Respond To:

As the prior post stated, you may have to back up a little on the slider.
And as far as what the repair shop does, I don't work in customer service or repair so you need to contact support and send it in and they would have to advise you.
http://www.dji.com/support
2017-3-13
Use props
David Bartenfield
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3784321 ft
  • >>>

Nees Posted at 2017-3-10 12:26
Don't you see it?

Don't let them gaslight you.  This is definitely an issue with the Mavic Pro.
2018-5-14
Use props
Six6Sics #666
lvl.3
Flight distance : 164236 ft
Australia

David Bartenfield Posted at 2018-5-14 13:12
Don't let them gaslight you.  This is definitely an issue with the Mavic Pro.

I totally agree, and I've just grown to accept it - my gimbal drifts/sways/yaws all over the place.....
2018-5-14
Use props
LeafPeeper
lvl.4
Flight distance : 450075 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mine too...never solved it.
2018-5-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now