Got a call from the FAA today
2172 13 2017-3-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Masdog
lvl.2
United States

So i got a call form the FAA today about a request I sent in about 50days ago to get approval to fly in my area. I am outside of the 15 mile radius of Regan National Airport and about 5-8 miles from being outside of the SFR area. I am right next to a county airport that doesn't have a control tower. So I contacted the FAA to see who I need to contact about flight within 5 miles of the airport. After speaking with the agent he let me know that the airspace im in is uncontrolled G so I dont have to contact anyone to fly here. I have to follow the sUAS rules and give right of way to any aircraft. That was very suprising to me. There is a class B cone above but the ceiling / floor of that is 100/35 and I will never be anywhere remotely close to that. But of course DJI has the geofencing causing my drone to be locked. So I need to unlock it before each flight. I use groundstation pro that doesnt allow unlocking due to no internet connection on the tablet. I guess one option is to do the advance unlocking but seems like a lot to do for an area that should be unlocked already! Does anyone know how to unlock drone deploy app from restricted airspaces or other mapping apps?
2017-3-10
Use props
M Stuart K
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1267717 ft
  • >>>
United States

I feel your pain!  I live around the area as well but closer in than you possibly!  Have to travel a bit each time I fly!
2017-3-10
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

I'm also in the area and noticed with the .0500 firmware update that I no longer have to unlock an area that was just outside the DC RFZ, but close enough to the red zone to activate the geofencing. Now I can actually go a little ways into the red zone before it complains. Have you updated and tried to fly yet?
2017-3-10
Use props
Masdog
lvl.2
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-3-10 15:59
I'm also in the area and noticed with the .0500 firmware update that I no longer have to unlock an area that was just outside the DC RFZ, but close enough to the red zone to activate the geofencing. Now I can actually go a little ways into the red zone before it complains. Have you updated and tried to fly yet?

There's no red zone around me. Im north of the beltway in Gaithersburg, MD I have not done the update yet.
2017-3-11
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Use hotspot feature on your smartphone for Internet connection. Unlock, enjoy!
2017-3-11
Use props
Masdog
lvl.2
United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-3-11 10:40

I have to check to see how much the mobile hotspot is for sprint. I think it's an extra $20 a month.
2017-3-14
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Philippines

Masdog Posted at 2017-3-14 10:21
I have to check to see how much the mobile hotspot is for sprint. I think it's an extra $20 a month.

Your carrier can charge you extra money simply to enable a feature that's built into every smartphone? Damn... Sounds like the American telco industry badly needs more competition and/or consumer protection regulations.
2017-3-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Masdog Posted at 2017-3-14 10:21

Just use the Advance unlocking you can do the same zone multiple times to give you un-interupted flights.
http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system/unlock
2017-3-14
Use props
Range30
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11281079 ft
United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-3-11 10:40

Great advice!
2017-3-14
Use props
DronePanora
lvl.2
Flight distance : 599685 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-3-14 10:47
Just use the Advance unlocking you can do the same zone multiple times to give you un-interupted flights.

This is useful.  Thanks.
2017-3-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

DronePanora Posted at 2017-3-14 11:18
This is useful.  Thanks.

Your welcome.
2017-3-14
Use props
M Stuart K
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1267717 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-3-10 15:59

Yes; I have updated and you are correct.  For some reason I am able to fly without prompts in the former areas that I received prompts before.  Still cannot fly in my yard yet!  LOL
2017-3-14
Use props
Masdog
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-3-14 10:47

Yeah I will do that. The problem is I cant be spontaneous if needed and the fact it should be unlocked already! But it is what it is for now. Advanced unlocking  will have to do.
2017-3-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Masdog Posted at 2017-3-15 10:58
Yeah I will do that. The problem is I cant be spontaneous if needed and the fact it should be unlocked already! But it is what it is for now. Advanced unlocking  will have to do.

Understand, and sorry about that.
2017-3-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules