Any Australian fliers CASA approved?
1793 21 2015-2-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

Anyone from Australia go through CASA certification so they can fly and film professionally?   
Would love some advice on how difficult it is and whether you can do it without an expensive third party course.

2015-2-24
Use props
Captain Obvious
lvl.4

Australia

Nope...Just fly for fun
2015-2-24
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

From what I have read, to operate in Australia you need to pass 70% of a Private pilots theory exam and get a radio operators license all of which mount up to a hefty few bucks.
2015-2-24
Use props
Farnk666
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

Going through the processes now!
2015-2-24
Use props
Farnk666
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

So, to fly for commercial purposes you need to cover two main requirements.
Firstly, you as the pilot need to obtain a CASA RPAS controller's certificate - This will mean the theory aspect of a PPL and a Aviation radio operators ticket. There is also a requirement to log 5 hours flight on your RPAS.

Then the company you work for (or represent) needs to obtain a CASA RPAS Operators certificate - this covers your flight and maintenance manuals, etc.

There are training providers out there that will walk you through everything which will cost you a few grand or so.
2015-2-24
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Jim,

Where are you in Australia ??
2015-2-24
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

GB44 Posted at 2015-2-24 23:38
Jim,

Where are you in Australia ??

GB44 - I'm in Sydney on the North Shore
2015-2-24
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

Farnk666 Posted at 2015-2-24 21:25
So, to fly for commercial purposes you need to cover two main requirements.
Firstly, you as the pilo ...

Thanks for the info Farnk666.  

So if I work for myself I then need to do both of those?  They don't make it easy!

I've heard of people navigating it themselves without the expensive 3rd parties but the whole thing seems completely overwhelming.  

What has your experience been like so far?   Worth it or not?
2015-2-24
Use props
pidetectives
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2131073 ft
  • >>>
United States

Move to America. The FAA  proposed laws will make it easier for us here to get drones for commercial purposes. From what I understand all you have to do is take an writting exam pay $300 and it's good for 2 years.
2015-2-24
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

pidetectives@ya Posted at 2015-2-25 09:06
Move to America. The FAA  proposed laws will make it easier for us here to get drones for commercial ...

Wish it were that easy here!   I certainly understand the need for safety and advanced understanding if you are going to fly in public, but it seems a bit extreme!
2015-2-24
Use props
K Stevo
lvl.1

Australia

Mate I'm about to do the UOC under my business name and the RPC. All up it costs between 6 and 8 thousand and then to fly for commercial gain you need third party liability insurance. I'll message you more once I've completed the course.
2015-2-24
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

K Stevo Posted at 2015-2-25 11:18
Mate I'm about to do the UOC under my business name and the RPC. All up it costs between 6 and 8 tho ...

Thanks, would love to hear about your experience, much appreciated!  

Yeah, I already have public liability through my filming business.  Don't need to add shooting aerials for business, just love it and would be nice to be able to have it in the arsenal.   

The big question is whether it's worth doing if it's just a minor add on or only if I wanted to pursue aeiral filming in a serious way.
2015-2-24
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

Maybe the best way forward for me to hire a pilot with a certificate for commercial shoots and I'll just be the director of photography and supply the Inspire 1.  

After all that's why I got 2 remotes in the first place.

2015-2-24
Use props
K Stevo
lvl.1

Australia

jimhare Posted at 2015-2-25 11:29

Yeah, I already have public  ...

Just make sure that your insurance policy will cover it mate. It would be heartbreaking if you thought you were insured, something went wrong and they wouldn't cover you on a technicality. I had to speak to a whole heap of companies before I found one that would cover aerial operations above 20m.

I'll keep you posted and hopefully my experiences in the near future will help you make the right call.
2015-2-25
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Jim,

Not sure you would be allowed to do that.

The Operator is the person who owns the aircraft.  They are required to submit the Operations Manual for respective aircraft they intend using for commercial operations, which includes all specifications for that specific aircraft, operating procedures, checklists, maintenance etc.  If you were simply employing someone for their Pilots license, they still have to operate under the employers Operators License, so thus requiring you to be Commercially approved for flying operations for your specfic business and specific aircraft.

The Pilot in your example still needs to fly in accordance with the Operations Manual for the company he is working for e.g. your business.

So if you intend supplying the aircraft, you might as well get licensed to fly commercially yourself otherwise you will need to employ a licensed Operator who provides the aircraft and the pilot.

I recall reading somewhere recently that CASA fined someone/ business for renting out an aircraft along similar lines.
2015-2-25
Use props
Captain Obvious
lvl.4

Australia

From what I have read, to operate in Australia you need to pass 70% of a Private pilots theory exam and get a radio operators license all of which mount up to a hefty few bucks.

Because of our greedy government
2015-2-25
Use props
K Stevo
lvl.1

Australia

Captain Obvious Posted at 2015-2-25 20:52

It's hefty and difficult now, but it will be much more expensive and difficult once they realise that uav technology is here to stay. Look at oh&s courses. Practically given away at the start and now an entire industry with countless jobs have sprung from it and it's massive dollars now. Get in while the going's good I reckon
2015-2-25
Use props
K Stevo
lvl.1

Australia

Captain Obvious Posted at 2015-2-25 20:52

It's hefty and difficult now, but it will be much more expensive and difficult once they realise that uav technology is here to stay. Look at oh&s courses. Practically given away at the start and now an entire industry with countless jobs have sprung from it and it's massive dollars now. Get in while the going's good I reckon
2015-2-25
Use props
Markc
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1637933 ft
  • >>>
Australia

jimhare Posted at 2015-2-25 11:29

Yeah, I already have public  ...

I'm in the final stages of getting my company Operators certificate..  Been a bit of a stretch, but hopefully worth it.  FYI, normal liability insurance wont cover you for aerial work with UAV.   Best quote I got was around $1,200 pa
2015-2-26
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

Thanks for all the info.  Think I'll keep to being an enthusiast and just have fun.
2015-2-26
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

jimhare Posted at 2015-2-26 19:43
Thanks for all the info.  Think I'll keep to being an enthusiast and just have fun.

Keep your vids coming though Jim as they are very inspirational.  Makes me pine to get back to Oz
2015-2-26
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

GB44 Posted at 2015-2-26 22:07
Keep your vids coming though Jim as they are very inspirational.  Makes me pine to get back to Oz

Thanks GB, will do!
2015-2-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules