Flight from a cliff ?
669 5 2017-3-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
M_str
lvl.2
Belgium

Hello,
After few days waiting for nice weather, I could finally test my Mavic : quite amazing !
Now, I am wondering : if I start flying from the top of a cliff, what happens once the drone goes from like 2 m high to 30 m high within an instant ?  It keeps going horizontally ?  If so, how does it work ? Only with GPS (ok .. with 18 satellites maybe it is possible) ?  Or it doesn't work well and I should not try this ?!
Thanks
2017-3-11
Use props
Trent Mavic
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1098924 ft
United Kingdom

The height is based off of the take off position. It won't really do anything different. I've flown around some cliff edges getting some footage and the only problem I had was I completely lost signal at one point as I descended behind a bit of the cliff, my mistake!!! Ass clenching moment as £1300 was flying right next to a cliff directly over the sea. But I had correctly set the RTH altitude and the RTH saved my butt. RTH brought it above the cliff and I instantly regained signal
2017-3-11
Use props
M_str
lvl.2
Belgium

Trent Mavic Posted at 2017-3-11 08:23
The height is based off of the take off position. It won't really do anything different. I've flown around some cliff edges getting some footage and the only problem I had was I completely lost signal at one point as I descended behind a bit of the cliff, my mistake!!! Ass clenching moment as £1300 was flying right next to a cliff directly over the sea. But I had correctly set the RTH altitude and the RTH saved my butt. RTH brought it above the cliff and I instantly regained signal

thanks for the RTH altitude reminder
2017-3-11
Use props
alaska42
First Officer
Flight distance : 3668114 ft
  • >>>
United States

You will also see your altitude go negative. I had mine at -800ft while flying on a mountain ridge.
2017-3-11
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Second Officer
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

If you fly horizontally, you will no change to your altitude.  If you descend you will see a negative altitude since the displayed altitude is relative to your launch elevation.  The GPS knows the  altitude above see level but that's not what you are seeing displayed while  you fly.  This works fine. I do a lot of flying from ridges and mountain tops.
2017-3-11
Use props
fans40c3d707
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1607267 ft
Spain

Flown off a cliff, fantastic views of rocks and sea below.
2017-3-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules