Flight simulator
16195 13 2017-3-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bigdps
lvl.3
Canada

I searched the forums but somehow, can't find what I'm looking for. If there is a thread already, MODS please move it to the correct area if there is one.

My question is this: Is there a way to turn on the flight simulator and using only the remote and the Assistant 2 program?

I have had RC planes before and using simulators and the actual RC remote connected through USB port, I could fly and get some practice. I'd love to fly outside but when the windshield factor outside right now is -34°C, not the most pleasant experience. Even if well dressed!!!

2017-3-11
Use props
Daroga
First Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi bigdps,
  DJI provides Mavic Pro simulation within the DJI GO4 App under the Academy and also within the DJI Assistant 2.

Unfortunately, both of these simulations use the telemetry data from the actual aircraft to provide the simulation.

So both simulations need both the aircraft and RC powered on. Additionally with the DJI Assistant 2, you need the aircraft connected via the USB connection to launch the Mavic Pro menu and then launch the simulator.

The Mavic Pro is so compact, it heats rapidly when just sitting without wind flow across the lower heat sink. So I have a small fan to blow air across the aircraft and help cool the heat sink when running the simulator.
2017-3-11
Use props
bigdps
lvl.3
Canada

There should be a way to DJI to make the simulator without having to turn on the drone. It's like I need to  have my car running to pretend I am driving it. Doesn't make sense.
2017-3-12
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Just as Daroga mentioned, the simulation will need both the aircraft and remote controller.
I'll forward your suggestion to designated team for review.
Thank you for your feedback.
2017-3-13
Use props
Sdpaddler50
lvl.1
United States

bigdps Posted at 2017-3-12 07:55
There should be a way to DJI to make the simulator without having to turn on the drone. It's like I need to  have my car running to pretend I am driving it. Doesn't make sense.

Yes, good point. I had not flown Anything for almost 40 years when I got the Mavic last week. The sim was helpful, but super basic and could also use a little more. But, overall it did serve its purpose To teach me the basic stick commands so I was grateful for it..
2017-3-13
Use props
bigdps
lvl.3
Canada

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-3-13 03:45
Just as Daroga mentioned, the simulation will need both the aircraft and remote controller.
I'll forward your suggestion to designated team for review.
Thank you for your feedback.

Thanks Mindy. It could easily be done with a firmware on the remote. Plug in the USB cable and after 30 seconds of trying to connect to an off aircraft, the remote could ask if we want to use the simulator or something. When it is super windy and cold outside, I'm sure other like myself would love to be able to practice a few tricks and then be ready for the real thing. Just saying! ;)
2017-3-13
Use props
DJI GO PM Team
DJI R&D Squad

Hong Kong

Sorry, since the flight data comes from the drone, we can not use simulator alone.
2017-3-14
Use props
Range30
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11281079 ft
United States

Good topic - I'm sure going to take advices from this topic once or if my Mavic Pro arrives.
2017-3-14
Use props
bigdps
lvl.3
Canada

DJI GO PM Team Posted at 2017-3-14 21:28
Sorry, since the flight data comes from the drone, we can not use simulator alone.

I understand. But as a tool to just get familiar with the controls and controlling the drone, just a basic simulator would be good enough. Just for the fun of it I was going to post a picture from a website that does just that, simulators of RC plane and lo and behold, they now have a drone simulator. The company is called Realflight.

For the amount of money that we pay for the DJI drones, IMHO, there should be an easier way to practice than to have our drone powered on, heating up as it doesn't fly in real but on a simulator, to me, this is counter-productive. Unnecessary wear on tear on the drone in particular.

So with all due respect, I don't buy the idea that it can't be done. If we stop at every obstacle we might think we have, we would have never sent a man to the moon, use robots to perform major surgeries in remote area. This is a drone people. How hard can it really be? Just asking.
2017-3-15
Use props
RightStuffed
lvl.2
United States

Pic disturbs me. Maybe just me.
2017-3-15
Use props
Lemonsorbie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3809 ft
Canada

Sorry to chip in an change the direction of the topic but it is simulator related. My question is about waypoints in the simulator. I realsise you can "record" a mission whilst in simulator. My suggestion is theoretical at  this point until I try it out in real time  I hope to fly a mission that I recorded/created in the simulator when I open the app and fly in real time. DJI GO 4 app must save the data file somewhere to be able to re fly that mission ?
2017-3-15
Use props
fans910f42f6
New

United States

I agree. It would also be a great way to advertise different products. It's still nice to be able to try some things out while we wait for the thaw.
2017-3-15
Use props
fansda1b5ebc
lvl.2
Flight distance : 83307 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

what happened to this simulator demo I found???
2017-12-14
Use props
Chris36
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4941 ft
Netherlands

fansda1b5ebc Posted at 2017-12-14 23:38
what happened to this simulator demo I found???
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lUV6Pb6Dv4

Equally, I have been asking the question on what has happened to this version of the flight simulator:-

If anyone has any information on this, in particular how we might obtain and use it I  and I think many others would be interested!

Chris36.
2018-6-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules