Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Stuck in a tree (10-15m high)
13983 94 2017-3-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Nikon 1
lvl.4
United States

M_str -  Congratulations on getting it back and un-damaged !  I just read this thread this morning and was feeling bad for you, but I was amazed at some of  the suggestions.

Thank you for sharing your story: it's something I can learn from.  Again - Congatulations on the outcome!
2017-3-17
Use props
RUDIMAN
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1145554 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Phew..  i was afraid it was lost......
2017-3-17
Use props
FrequentFlyer
lvl.4
United States

Great news, he got it back and gave it to you. He could of had a new toy, LOL.
2017-3-17
Use props
randy.sauder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 872572 ft
Canada

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-3-15 02:50
That's great news. Out of curiosity did he tell you how he managed to reach it?

He chainsawed it down
2017-3-17
Use props
randy.sauder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 872572 ft
Canada

Strake Posted at 2017-3-16 15:50
Awesome,  simple tool !!!   I can think of a few times in my lifetime when  I could have used this.  Might be worth making one up to have on hand as I learn to fly well

The video shows a WAY too complicated setup.  All you need is the twine and a slingshot for perfect aim; yank branches and you are done; no fancy tube/surgical tubing/rod etc...way overkill.  In the end a climber got it down with a string and weight- so at least the good samaritan was smart but tree climbing wasn't needed; the posters pics even showed that the drone was only caught on one prop mostly so it would be an easy tree shake.  What is funny is a few of us here typing in this forum probably spent way more time 'talking' about how to get it down than the guy the actually 'did' it; LOL. I would have graciously taken $99e
2017-3-17
Use props
DrEMHmrk2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 291575 ft
United States

Excellent! I feel like a chapter of my life has closed now. Congrats
2017-3-17
Use props
M_str
lvl.2
Belgium

DrEMHmrk2 Posted at 2017-3-17 07:43
Excellent! I feel like a chapter of my life has closed now. Congrats

Ah ah, thanks (especially to the guy who got it from the top of the tree ...).
I turned it on tonight : everthing seems alright.
Waiting better weather to fly again ...

I won't reverse gear again except if I am TOTALLY sure there is no tree 300 feet around

Now I am asking my self if propeller guard accessory would have helped ?!  Maybe it would have made the drone rebound/bounce against branches ?  Even though it is not circumferential protection.  Maybe I should ask in another topic/thread ?
2017-3-17
Use props
rreindl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6491926 ft
United States

M_str Posted at 2017-3-17 00:34
the mavic seems perfect (except for two broken propellers ...)
no fall, the guy caught it cautiously : if I had tried something like shooting or the youtube solution, I guess I would not have been able to catch it (and 20m - 70 feet is not easy to reach)

I am so glad it ended well!!!
2017-3-18
Use props
DrEMHmrk2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 291575 ft
United States

M_str Posted at 2017-3-17 12:50
Ah ah, thanks (especially to the guy who got it from the top of the tree ...).
I turned it on tonight : everthing seems alright.
Waiting better weather to fly again ...

It's hard to say, but the really expensive cage setup might have actually been useful in this situation.
2017-3-18
Use props
M_str
lvl.2
Belgium

first 2 minutes flight this afternoon since the crash
place was not very safe, next to my house ...  yes, somes need to be told many times

first and no least : it flies !  
then, not sure as it was a 2 minutes flight like taking off and landing next to the house, but it seemed like it was drifting a little bit  (not staying straight up the taking off point)
I hope it is nothing

once back on the ground, I checked the propellers (two were broken after the crash into a tree) and I found a third one had a 2 mm break => no more game, I changed them all to be sure
hope it will be OK

about calibration, I can only start an IMU calibration ?   nothing else if there is no warning ?

Finally, with the recovered data from the micro SD I did this video hoping there won't be a next one about a crash ...

2017-3-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

M_str Posted at 2017-3-21 12:23
first 2 minutes flight this afternoon since the crash
place was not very safe, next to my house ...  yes, somes need to be told many times

Hey great to see you back flying.

Tip..

Fly Mavic to height 8 feet hover for 20 seconds  fly forward 3 feet backward 3 feet left/right 3 feet up/down 3 feet yaw left yaw right. If Mavic returns to horizontal each time and stays locked in position you will know you have good IMU good compass and good gps, and your good to fly. It takes less than two minutes and it's a good exercise to get into a habit of doing before you fly.

Good luck..
2017-3-21
Use props
ramboT3
lvl.2
Flight distance : 147352 ft
United States

You can definitely climb that.  Just get yourself in the same mindset as when you were a little kid.
2017-3-21
Use props
M_str
lvl.2
Belgium

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-3-21 16:42
Hey great to see you back flying.

Tip..

thanks I ll try this saturday (I hope before, but don't think so, and hope it won't be too windy)
I hope it was the slightly broken propeller ... and maybe, next to a wall's house the gps signal was not so good ?!
2017-3-22
Use props
borse2008
lvl.2
United States

WTF! Go and Get it get a ladder or someone who can climb a tree and grab it.  No difference it was a ball?!!
2017-3-22
Use props
M_str
lvl.2
Belgium

borse2008 Posted at 2017-3-22 03:47
WTF! Go and Get it get a ladder or someone who can climb a tree and grab it.  No difference it was a ball?!!

ah ah don't have 70feet ladder
2017-3-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules