Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
P2V+3.0 gimbal: burn out motors/Twitchy using wheeel on Tx
2984 29 2015-2-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jonathan
lvl.2

United States

Hi,

Thanks to everybody for getting me much needed information on this forum.  

Regarding the Gimbal on the P2V+3.0:
1) As a newbie, I have left the dang gimbal brace (that clear plastic piece) on several times after firing up the quad.  As soon as I get my iphone app up, it reminds me to remove the gimbal, which I do in a hurry; typically cursing myself for the oversight as I even wrote myself a note above the battary to remind me!  I know that this can damage the gimbal, and I am wondering how long would it take to actually damage the motor? It is usually not on for more than about 20-30 seconds, but I know the little motor is buzzing away trying to get set correctly . . . it's working fine at this point . . . other than #2)

2) I finally got comfortable enough to figure out what the small wheel is for on the left side . . . it controls the camera up and down. Mine is spring loaded and returns to neutral, but in so doing does not return camera to 0 (which is great). My question is, when I have it pointed straight down, and go to move it back to level (and actually this happens some in other positions as well), the gimbal makes the camera jiggle up and down once or twice before moving in the correct direction--obviously this creates a jumpy video not worth using. Is this normal?

Thanks again!
Jon

2015-2-24
Use props
Observer 2
lvl.2

United States

I have accidently left mine on for more than 5 minutes while I was calibrating it before I bought the red "remove before flight" tags.  I'm a little hard of hearing and didn't hear the clicking of the gimbal.  It was a little hot, but it did not hurt it at all.
2015-2-24
Use props
rabloom530.gmai
lvl.2

United States

Have you calibrated X1 in rc assistant? Mine did the same straight out of the box.
2015-2-24
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

'how long' is tough to say.  sort of like saying 'how long at high RPMs will it be before my engine seizes'.  it is fairly safe to say, however, that a few times (while you are learning to remember to take it off) is likely not causing permanent long term damage to your gimbal.  just make sure to take advantage of that 'non impacting' time to make a better habit of avoiding that problem.  then you'll be set.  a time or two (or even ten) for just a few seconds will not ruin it.  
2015-2-24
Use props
grangerfx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 817713 ft
United States

A better question is: Has anyone burned out or damaged their gimbal by leaving on the protector? I left mine on for a long time while doing the initial calibration and it had no ill effects. In fact I think I read something about the gimbal being able to protect itself when it cannot move (which is what that clicking noise is). I try to remember to always remove the protector before turning on my P2V+ and am getting much better at the preflight and postflight steps.
2015-2-24
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

also, while on the topic of gimbals, does anyone understand the mechanics or physics around it 'touching' or 'binding' against things when it is off?  i always worry putting it in my case that if the camera is touching the case and there are any lateral forces being applied either in putting it in the case or taking it out, or even during transport, would those forces damage it ever in any way.  might be nonsense but i dont know enough about gimbals to know so was hoping it woudl be OK to ask that sideline question in this thread as it is tangentially on topic.
2015-2-24
Use props
Attenuated
lvl.1

United States

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-2-25 02:14
also, while on the topic of gimbals, does anyone understand the mechanics or physics around it 'touc ...

The brushless digital sevro gimbals won't be harmed by having something against them when they are off, as long as a lot of force or pressure is not applied. The 2 gimbals to be careful with are one attached to the camera and horizon gimbal. The horizon gimbal can separate under a lot force, and the gimbal attached to the camera has more travel than the other gimbals and the stops are designed a little different. But a little contact or touching is not going to hurt them. I would always transport it with gimbal lock in place so the gimbal does not flop around and suffer a high G stop if it swung around rapidly.
2015-2-24
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

i have a vision non-plus with a rotorpixel not a vision-plus.  is there a lock that i can use, if so, any help on that, i dont follow how to lock it.
2015-2-24
Use props
Attenuated
lvl.1

United States

Sorry I don't know anything about them. But is there a way to attach a rubber band to at least stop it from swinging if it does?
2015-2-24
Use props
smatchet42.hotm
lvl.2

United States

Thought I had the answer for you, but DJI deleted the directions.

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... age%3D3&lang=en
2015-2-24
Use props
jonathan
lvl.2

United States

UH, DJI???!!!  PLEASE REPOST THESE DIRECTIONS!

Or consider explaining why  not?
2015-2-24
Use props
jonathan
lvl.2

United States

Attenuated Posted at 2015-2-25 04:03
Sorry I don't know anything about them. But is there a way to attach a rubber band to at least stop  ...

Would you consider putting them up again, or maybe PMing me with them so that DJI cant delete?
2015-2-24
Use props
jonathan
lvl.2

United States

Observer 2 Posted at 2015-2-25 01:13
I have accidently left mine on for more than 5 minutes while I was calibrating it before I bought th ...

what is X1? I have done all the calibrations I can find (IMU, RC, Quad, etc). Always do the Compass before I fly.

I'll try anything at this point though.
2015-2-24
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

jonathan, the PM feature does not work unfortunately.  as for why they deleted it, when Gerry got banned for a week, all his posts now show deleted.  Pretty unfortunate since instead of just removing his ability to log in, they DELETED TONS OF CONTENT THAT USERS USE EVERY DAY TO ANSWER PROBLEMS.  way to go DJI.  
2015-2-24
Use props
jonathan
lvl.2

United States

While I'm here and seem to have some folks that know their stuff, I'm crusing around trying to read as many important threads as I can. Are there any that may be buried pretty far back in the 700+ pages that a newbie would do well to read (I've gotten the rules and guidelines for newbs done)
2015-2-24
Use props
jonathan
lvl.2

United States

Do you know a way that I can contact a moderator to request either his posts be returned for the rest of us, or for them to give some guidance directly?
2015-2-24
Use props
Observer 2
lvl.2

United States

jonathan@gatehe Posted at 2015-2-25 04:34
what is X1? I have done all the calibrations I can find (IMU, RC, Quad, etc). Always do the Compas ...

You will probably have to wait until DJI lifts the suspension on the four they closed on.  I think one of them had the calibration page for the camera.   Don't know if they will even come back when it is lifted.
2015-2-24
Use props
jonathan
lvl.2

United States

I'll start digging around on other forums to see if I can find the answer. If y'all find it before me, could you post a link? Or at least the directions if links to competing forums are not allowed (I think they are fine).

Thanks again folks
Jon
2015-2-24
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

jonathan, send me an email to "address removed" with your email address.  i correspond with Gerry via email and I know he would be happy to help you out even if DJI doesnt know how to properly administer a forum without impacting innocent parties like yourself.  I'm sure Gerry wouldnt mind rehashing for you via email the solution to your problem that is 'deleted' from that thread.  sigh.
2015-2-24
Use props
rabloom530.gmai
lvl.2

United States

When you calibrate the controller in RC assistant, X1 is the identifier for the gimbal scroll wheel. You have to scroll the wheel up and down as well as sticks.
2015-2-24
Use props
jonathan
lvl.2

United States

rabloom530.gmai Posted at 2015-2-25 04:47
When you calibrate the controller in RC assistant, X1 is the identifier for the gimbal scroll wheel. ...

BAM!! Thank you!! I know exactly where you are talking about then. Thanks a billion rabloom530!!
2015-2-24
Use props
jonathan
lvl.2

United States

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-2-25 04:47
jonathan, send me an email to   with your email address.  i correspond with Gerry via email and I kn ...

Thanks a bunch. Firing up my email program now.
2015-2-24
Use props
rabloom530.gmai
lvl.2

United States

Your welcome, be safe and happy flying!
2015-2-24
Use props
jonathan
lvl.2

United States

rabloom530.gmai Posted at 2015-2-25 04:53
Your welcome, be safe and happy flying!

Thanks. Safe is the key word here . .. at this point, even though I know most flyaways are user error, I'm still considering getting a cheap auto fishing reel, attaching it to my belt, and tying some fishing line with a few small weights to keep the "safety line" under the quad (vs in the props) in case it decides to fly off! This way I could literally REEL it back in!

I'm half kidding. . . but only half!
2015-2-24
Use props
rabloom530.gmai
lvl.2

United States

Just keep it low and close until you get more comfortable with the controls and flight characteritics. Took me quite awhile until I trusted the bird (and myself) to get beyond a few hundred feet...
2015-2-24
Use props
jonathan
lvl.2

United States

rabloom530.gmai Posted at 2015-2-25 05:09
Just keep it low and close until you get more comfortable with the controls and flight characteritic ...

Absolutely . . . thankfully I did a lot of reading before even getting into this and purchased a micro Hubsan x4 h107L (no camera), and learned mode 2 on that . . . then got the h107C (w/camera) and got pretty good at getting control of it when caught by wind (ie not panicking). I kept flying those (and a few nano's) for another 6 months before I got this. I'm just now sent it up about a hundred feet, but right over me, to take some pix and videos to see what I have. It's loads of fun, but nerve racking . . . smashing a $50 hubsan is fun . . smashing a $1200 DJI, not so much fun!
2015-2-24
Use props
philbern2
lvl.1

Australia

Had much the same problem - very jerky movements even after using the assistant
found the link by searching for  " Transmitter Calibration without Software"
Follow the link and the directons - print it out
I keep it handy as a ready reference for position of switches etc help with 'Course Lock ' and 'Home Lock'
I've never used the gimbal lock or lens cover - they got packed away with the box - don't use them!
phil
2015-2-26
Use props
ChristoHD
lvl.2
Flight distance : 21818 ft
United States

See if this helps....

http://youtu.be/TbwvbmB5r3w
2015-2-27
Use props
jonathan
lvl.2

United States

Thanks! I finally found a way to do it wihtout the app, but this way looks much easier!
2015-2-27
Use props
tonyray955
lvl.3

United States

I have a DJI phantom 2  and the gimbal would twitch when I mover the wheel I saw on another site if that happens recalibrate the transmitter using the RC system assistant not the phantom 2 vision assistant software I did that and the twitch went away.
2015-2-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules