Has DJI products been compromised by the CIA?
3066 34 2017-3-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bochen7
lvl.2
United States

With the recent wikileaks news about Vault 7, etc and now CIA has compromised all Samsung Smart TVs, including software and hardware devices from Apple, Google, Microsoft, Amazon, etc and most importantly their active development of unique undetectable assassination methods such as hacking of smart cars, self-driving cars, fly-by-wire aircraft (Boeing uninterruptible autopilot) the question is is DJI also vulnerable to being attacked? Maybe like Pokeman Go, if CIA hacked DJI products this could help them crowd source spying with thousands or millions of paying customers unwittingly sending their GPS, 4k footage and other stuff to the CIA and not even knowing we are all being used as pawns. Or at the worst, maybe CIA can trigger a "malfunction" in a drone and cause the drone to attempt to kill someone (not so likely in a small Mavic drone, but for larger DJI Inspires this is entirely possible!!!!!!) for remote assassination?!

Should we be worried about flying our drone and getting framed for false flag crashes by the CIA?
Will DJI give a public statement on this like many other tech companies have recently come out of the woodworks to speak also?

2017-3-13
Use props
CuaC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 369626 ft
Germany

No, just by the Chinese counterpart.  LoL man... framed by the CIA... where did you get your tinfoil hat?
2017-3-13
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Then you'll find your phone's data plan depleting very vast.
2017-3-13
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think pretty much everything electronic has been compromised by some government organization. Anything with a camera and or a speaker
2017-3-13
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

CuaC Posted at 2017-3-13 01:33
No, just by the Chinese counterpart.  LoL man... framed by the CIA... where did you get your tinfoil hat?

Same place I got mine, we made them.
2017-3-13
Use props
RM316
lvl.3
Flight distance : 957297 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Any camera connected to the internet can be hacked or accessed by any professional agency.  Government or otherwise.  
2017-3-13
Use props
z4k4tt4ck
lvl.3
Flight distance : 535 ft
Australia

Better tell the cia to turn obstacle avoidance off then ... they would look fairly amateur if the inspire just came screaming to a stop infront of their target.

In all seriousness tho ... lay off the bongs champ ... there the only Chem trails afecting you.
2017-3-13
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Maybe CIA can trigger a "malfunction" in a drone and cause the drone to attempt to kill someone . . . for remote assassination?! Should we be worried about flying our drone and getting framed for false flag crashes by the CIA?

If you're really worried about the CIA infiltrating your drone's firmware, using it for nefarious purposes, and blaming you for it then why did you suggest in this thread that you'd like to see the Mavic's sophistication increased with features like artificial intelligence, smart home integration, and natural language processing?

Personally I think the first reply you got in that thread and the ones like it that followed were the most appropriate responses and are equally applicable here. But in the unlikely event that you were asking a serious question (or that anyone else interprets it that way), the answer to your question is no: the CIA has its own drones and doesn't need yours.
2017-3-13
Use props
RightStuffed
lvl.2
United States

Can they and do they do this?  Absolutely. To you in particular? You maybe rate your self value/worth a bit high. Paranoia in small doses is not such a bad thing.
2017-3-13
Use props
Mir
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2718491 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you're so paranoid, just fly offline with no internet?

2017-3-13
Use props
K4Unl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 122175 ft
Netherlands

Well, glad i clicked this open today. Thanks for making my day xD
2017-3-13
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Two points:

If the spooks want to off someone, there are more expedient ways to do so than to wait for someone to fly their hobby drone in range of a target.

Crowd-sourced video of ant-sized people is probably not very useful to the surveillance state, but I for one wouldn't mind encrypted communication between the AC and the RC.
2017-3-13
Use props
Kalibr
lvl.3
Flight distance : 59416 ft
United States

Snowden, is that you?!
2017-3-13
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Clearly, you have black helicopters flying around your house 24 hrs a day!
2017-3-13
Use props
Yokota85
lvl.2
Flight distance : 255430 ft
United States

You have to be safe always ware tin foil under your hat
2017-3-13
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-3-13 08:50
Two points:

If the spooks want to off someone, there are more expedient ways to do so than to wait for someone to fly their hobby drone in range of a target.

Of course, as shown in the wikileaks cache, if your phone is compromised, then encryption won't help.
2017-3-13
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Anything can be hacked. To say otherwise is just talking out the brown eye. I'm not sure why, even after Snowden people are surprised to see the vault. There's a lot of leftovers from the Obama administration still leaking intel too.

I would honestly be more worried about dji. The assistant comes up on Qihoo-360         HEUR/QVM06.1.0000.Malware.Gen

I haven't looked at the traffic, but I know if you block address at bgcentre.com, that's where it updates.
2017-3-13
Use props
boostedford
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144478 ft
United States

did no one listen to snowden?? this should honestly not be surprising to anyone
2017-3-13
Use props
Sangarone
lvl.2
United States

CIA can hack my mavic all they want, with the way this thing focuses their target is just going to look like a fuzzy blob.
2017-3-13
Use props
randy.sauder
Second Officer
Flight distance : 872572 ft
Canada

I recently flew my Mavic in D.C. close to the White House...but it flew away on it's own!   I was super scared because it landed in the rose garden just yards from the White House entrance.  A Secret Service guy picked it up and I waved from the fence to get it back - I figured they had me on camera anyways so might as well fess-up.  Next thing I know I was surrounded by security, even a black unmarked heli came overhead. I was shooting bricks!!  Then I heard over the radio "It's just a DJI Mavic guys...routine fly-away...just give it back to him.".  Couldn't believe it.  The secret service guys were all laughing at me.  They shoved it back through the fence and said something like 'just wait a few firmwares' but please don't fly in the city.  Apparently they don't really care about the Mavics around the grounds as they appear to have several just drop from the ski, carried by the wind, or they know they just can't be controlled very well so aren't any threat.  Apparently you can be arrested if you are caught with one of those sophisticated styrofoam types; I read a CIA briefing from the Vault 7 on just how advanced the french drone tech is.  Good to know...I almost used my Parrot 1.0 instead, whew- dodged a bullet there!
2017-3-13
Use props
Grumps
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16610876 ft
United States

I copied and pasted the original post onto a 3 x 5 card to give to the authorities when my drone crashes into a crowd of people. I'll just tell them, "No sir, it wasn't me, Obama wiretapped my drone."  Fortunately I won't need any proof.
2017-3-13
Use props
randy.sauder
Second Officer
Canada

boostedford Posted at 2017-3-13 17:52
did no one listen to snowden?? this should honestly not be surprising to anyone

Who's this 'snowden' ? Is it a radio station?  What is it saying- I'm really concerned now.
2017-3-13
Use props
randy.sauder
Second Officer
Canada

Sangarone Posted at 2017-3-13 18:15
CIA can hack my mavic all they want, with the way this thing focuses their target is just going to look like a fuzzy blob.

Please CIA if you are listening in to this thread ...please hack the Mavic firmware...also, could you please insert the following additional code/fix: (apologies if I've missed a semi-colon anywhere)

100 If GPS goto shiitakimushroom;
        Run subroutine 200
200 Sub "Switch to Russian GLONAAS GPS";
        For t= 0 until GPS comes back online
              Then run normally without going to subroutine 999 'Fly Away'
300 Continue
999 Sub FlyAway
        If Mavic no likey da compass calibration,
               FlyAway; Goto any coordinate as quickly as possible away from operator, water is good;
       If Mavic no likey da EMI setting,
               FlyAway; Goto any coordinate as quickly as possible away from operator, water is good;
       If Mavic no likely da phone being used,
       If Mavic calculates any day of the week = Mon to Sun,

2017-3-13
Use props
K4Unl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 122175 ft
Netherlands

2017-3-13
Use props
MacIak
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3419 ft
Belgium

randy.sauder Posted at 2017-3-13 21:34
Please CIA if you are listening in to this thread ...please hack the Mavic firmware...also, could you please insert the following additional code/fix: (apologies if I've missed a semi-colon anywhere)

WHAAAAHAAHAHAH! I'm in tears..thank you!

PS. if the spooks want to end anyone they'd just pull the plug.
2017-3-14
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

randy.sauder Posted at 2017-3-13 21:34

1.     void lcheck() // spyware
  2.     {
  3.                 if (ADCSRA & (1 << ADIF))
  4.                 {
  5.                 adcvl  = ADCL; // check operator face and booty
  6.                 adcvl = ((ADCH << 8) & 0x300) | (adcvl & 0xFF);
  7.                 ADCSRA |= (1 << ADSC); // check again
  8.                 }
  9.                 if (adcvl < 230)
  10.                 {
  11.                         if (++low_sw > 184)
  12.                         {
  13.                                 flyaway = 0;
  14.                                 low_sw = 1;
  15.                                 precheck = 0;
  16.                         }
  17.                 }
  18.                 else
  19.                 {
  20.                         flyaway = 1;
  21.                         low_sw = 0; // make sure the home point is where the sun don't shine! xd
  22.                 }
  23.     }

24.     ISR(WDT_vect)
  25.     {

26.                     if (!high) lcheck(); // operator drunk or stoned?

27.                     if (precheck && fly) // check to see if drone in freefall
  28.                     {
  29.                             if (!high) // not likely
  30.                             {
  31.                                     high = 1; // they could still be high
  32.                                 ADMUX = (1<<MUX2) | (1<<MUX3); // check china coordinates for flyaway
  33.                     ADCSRA |= (1 << ADSC); // check
  34.                             }
  35.                             high = (high<<1); // ok maybe not

36.                             if ((high & 0x04)) // wait 32 ms before tilting horizon
  37.                             {
  38.                             while (ADCSRA & (1 << ADSC)); // check for mustache
  39.                                     ADCSRA |= (1 << ADSC); // check again!
  40.                             }
Copy the code
I'd imagine it would be something like this.. And the CIA code would also differentiate between skinney and fat people
2017-3-14
Use props
randy.sauder
Second Officer
Canada

thehippoz Posted at 2017-3-14 17:53
I'd imagine it would be something like this.. And the CIA code would also differentiate between skinney and fat people

LOL. Everybody- post your 'code'
2017-3-14
Use props
Range30
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11281079 ft
United States

I like this thread!
2017-3-14
Use props
Impossible J
lvl.2
United States

Just wrap your mavic completely with tin foil and feed it some of uncle Alex's nutri-ceuticals. It keeps out the gubbermint mind rays! Seriously though, no one cares about you or your drone, especially the CIA. Unless you happen to be a small, poorly defended country with natural resources and a fragile government. Are you one of those? Nope, me either.
2017-3-15
Use props
bochen7
lvl.2
United States

my mavic is acting wierdly now
2017-4-1
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

bochen7 Posted at 2017-4-1 14:24
my mavic is acting wierdly now

Can you be a little more specific?
2017-4-1
Use props
MIP
lvl.2
United States

Has your brain been comprimised?
2017-4-1
Use props
Nikon 1
lvl.4
United States

My Mavic is powered down, the RC is powered down and the iPad mini isn't connected, but every so often, it powers up, takes off and the Gimbal swings to take photos in a 360° arc in the dining room.  Then it lands and goes back to Off mode.  

Is my MP possessed or has the CIA / NSA / FBI hacked in and taken control.  OR is it PUTIN. And the Russian Secret Intelligence or MI 6????

What should I do?  I've even removed the battery pack and it still keeps powering up and taking pictures!

Ahhh . . . .
2017-4-1
Use props
Burmman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 182142 ft
United States

I's all Putin's fault.
2017-4-1
Use props
ProQuad
lvl.4
Flight distance : 20296870 ft
  • >>>
United States

Holly sheep cr*p...this is just getting funnier the more reply's this gets.  Was in tears watching the Weird Al Yankovic video.  Hummm so fitting
2017-4-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules