7179 40 2017-3-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Phantom3ProPilo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 612825 ft
Croatia

The images only appear in PC version of forum
So I was flying my P3P for the first time after a month since I didn't have any free time
It was a pretty windy day but I decided to fly nonetheless
My first battery went away in 18 min
I put the other one lift off and fly until it reaches 10%
And just before it started to auto land I go ahead and land it myself
It was at about 3m up in the air
I was trying to land it but was scared of it tipping over because of the wind
It got to the ground and I immediately pulled the left stick all the way down
But it bounced off and tipped over
When I've seen it bounce I tried to CSC but it was too late
It turned upside down and you could hear that awful sound coming out of the obstructed motors
I couldn't turn the motors off since the CSC doesn't work when the drone is upside down (Come on DJI fix this already)
I also wasn't able to get to the drone because there were 5 cars driving up the road right when this happened (you can imagine the pain I was going through seeing my drone upside down and not being able to go and get it lol)

When the cars went by I ran over there and firstly tried to turn the Phantom off and since that didn't work I pulled the battery out
The back left motor was smoking ever since it turned upside down
When I finally got the drone off I turned it back up and got the props off
The motor that was smoking was very hot to the touch but others weren't
There was no visible damage on the motor
That's the exact motor I had issues with before because it took more force to turn that motor than the other three and I think that that is the reason my P3P wouldn't fly in a straight line (I'm not saying that this is related to the smoke but it's something I'd like to point out)
I let the drone cool down a bit before attempting to fly it
After 5 mins i tried to start the motors without the props and they all seemed to work well
I got the props on and carefully tried to lift off and it was stable
I tried flying it, spinning it and it seemed like nothing happened
I don't know if I should replace that motor if it smoked out and had issues before.Should I?
Sorry for the long post
Here's a video of it before just to show how strong the wind was

2017-3-13
Use props
Quamera
lvl.2
Australia

I was of the understanding that if a motor was obstructed the Phantoms microprocessor would shut it down to avoid burning out the power control electronics or the motor. That obviously didn't happen here, maybe they were only partially obstructed
2017-3-13
Use props
Phantom3ProPilo
lvl.4
Croatia

Quamera Posted at 2017-3-13 04:25
I was of the understanding that if a motor was obstructed the Phantoms microprocessor would shut it down to avoid burning out the power control electronics or the motor. That obviously didn't happen here, maybe they were only partially obstructed

I know that it should stop them but it didn't
And the motors were fully obstructed
2017-3-13
Use props
Thermographer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1417362 ft
United States

From my understanding, if the bird is upside down it is going to do everything in it's power to rite itself, regardless of your input from the controller.
2017-3-13
Use props
Johnnyv
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2798707 ft
Canada

My crash with my P3 4K, resulted in it being upside down and it wouldn't shut off. I had to pull the battery.
2017-3-13
Use props
Phantom3ProPilo
lvl.4
Croatia

Johnnyv Posted at 2017-3-13 10:22
My crash with my P3 4K, resulted in it being upside down and it wouldn't shut off. I had to pull the battery.

Yeah, that's the issue in firmware
The CSC doesn't work when the drone's upside down
2017-3-13
Use props
Phantom3ProPilo
lvl.4
Croatia

Should I replace the motor?
Is it worth all the dissasembly?
The drone is flying normally but I'm afraid that the motor might stop spinning mid-air and since this is a quad I won't be able to land it with 3 motors...
I will be doing a lot of filming in 3 months and most of it will be over the sea so the drone wouldn't be that recoverable if it drops
2017-3-13
Use props
adrian8891
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2643110 ft
  • >>>
Poland

Phantom3ProPilo Posted at 2017-3-13 12:34
The drone is flying normally but I'm afraid that the motor might stop spinning mid-air and since this is a quad I won't be able to land it with 3 motors...

I think answer is automatically given. If You seen smoke from motor - then You might think that something has fired up. If something has fired up, then might be broken or partially broken already due to "fire" on board. Imagine airliner that has smoke on engine. Will they use same motor or same parts or go like "eeeh.....it fly! Nothing happened"... In my opinion You SHOULD at least disassembly engine and look for thing that gone on fire, or just replace engine.
2017-3-13
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Look at the copper windings on the motor that smoked, and compare them to another motor. If they are dark, or burnt coloured, then you should most certainly replace that motor, they are not that expensive. But you need to be skilled to do so, so ask yourself if you have the skills to perform a motor exchange before you attempt it.
2017-3-13
Use props
Phantom3ProPilo
lvl.4
Croatia

Geebax Posted at 2017-3-13 13:31
Look at the copper windings on the motor that smoked, and compare them to another motor. If they are dark, or burnt coloured, then you should most certainly replace that motor, they are not that expensive. But you need to be skilled to do so, so ask yourself if you have the skills to perform a motor exchange before you attempt it.

The copper windings look exactly the same as in the other motors and I have no idea how because it really smoked a lot
But I will definitely replace it since it's just 18$
2017-3-14
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

Phantom3ProPilo Posted at 2017-3-14 04:43
The copper windings look exactly the same as in the other motors and I have no idea how because it really smoked a lot
But I will definitely replace it since it's just 18$

My thoughts too. Why would you even be asking this question for $18-$20. If your phantom falls out of the sky it will costs you a bunch more than that! It is not a hard job to replace, and I think you would have the peace of mind knowing you replaced it. Especially admitting that you have time scheduled for some flying in the next few months. I wouldn't even look at those windings if it were me, it would go straight into the trash.

If you do open it up, take a close look at the wiring too.  Something caused the smoke for sure!
2017-3-14
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Phantom3ProPilo Posted at 2017-3-13 12:34

When you're dealing with a burnt motor, you don't want to use it, and it's not really salvageable. The motor would need to be replaced.
2017-3-14
Use props
Phantom3ProPilo
lvl.4
Croatia

Thank you all
I will definitely replace it
But I'm wondering what might have burned in there since there's nothing visible on the motor itself
Is it possible that something else inside related to the motor may have burnt?
ESC or sth?
I guess I'll find out when I open the Phantom
2017-3-15
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
United States

Phantom3ProPilo Posted at 2017-3-15 04:07
Thank you all
I will definitely replace it
But I'm wondering what might have burned in there since there's nothing visible on the motor itself

Let us know what you find out if you decide to do this yourself. I have seen the dreaded smoke and heard the squealing on my friends phantom. I really couldn't find exactly where the smoke must have come from. The motor actually looked ok, but of course I replaced it for him and I couldn't see anything on any of the wires. Must have been internally in the motor. But I have also wondered where that squealing comes from? I just can't figure out how it does that. It has nothing to do with the props, and the motors are brushless so what is making that noise? Would be curious to hear if anybody really knows what is happening when it makes those sounds.
2017-3-15
Use props
Phantom3ProPilo
lvl.4
Croatia

RicardoGray Posted at 2017-3-15 04:14
Let us know what you find out if you decide to do this yourself. I have seen the dreaded smoke and heard the squealing on my friends phantom. I really couldn't find exactly where the smoke must have come from. The motor actually looked ok, but of course I replaced it for him and I couldn't see anything on any of the wires. Must have been internally in the motor. But I have also wondered where that squealing comes from? I just can't figure out how it does that. It has nothing to do with the props, and the motors are brushless so what is making that noise? Would be curious to hear if anybody really knows what is happening when it makes those sounds.

Will do
I also want to know how does it make that sound
Had my phantom flipped a few times already and heard it everytime
2017-3-15
Use props
Phantom3ProPilo
lvl.4
Croatia

http://www.canosa.com.hr/dji-phantom-3-spare-part-94-2312a-motor-ccw-/03013887/product/
This is the one I need right?I'm not sure about the orientation but will check that out
I have a P3Pro
What's the difference between the 2312 without an A and 2312A?
It looks different but it's​also for the P3 and the price is the same
2017-3-15
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
United States

Phantom3ProPilo Posted at 2017-3-15 04:19
http://www.canosa.com.hr/dji-pha ... -/03013887/product/
This is the one I need right?I'm not sure about the orientation but will check that out
I have a P3Pro

Take a look at this.https://www.dji.com/newsroom/new ... al-advanced-motors1

You need to replace it with same motor you have. Whichever that is. They are NOT interchangeable.

Hope this helps!
2017-3-15
Use props
Phantom3ProPilo
lvl.4
Croatia

RicardoGray Posted at 2017-3-15 08:59
Take a look at this.https://www.dji.com/newsroom/news/compatibility-notice-for-new-phantom-3-professional-advanced-motors1

You need to replace it with same motor you have. Whichever that is. They are NOT interchangeable.

Thanks
2017-3-15
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
United States

No problem. Good luck, take your time and you'll be fine. It is something most can do and learn from.
2017-3-15
Use props
Quamera
lvl.2
Australia

Phantom3ProPilo Posted at 2017-3-15 04:19
http://www.canosa.com.hr/dji-pha ... -/03013887/product/
I have a P3Pro

P3PP, they turn in opposite directions so if you put the wrong one in the Phantom will do its best impression of a rotary hoe. Unless DJI have already thought of that scenario and have programmed it to shut down first but I did have a laugh thinking about the possibilities.

On 2nd thoughts they hadn't thought about it being upside down and not moving to shut off the motors so maybe you would have a rotary hoe. Hello 4 new motors and a set of props but at least you might have a new vege bed.
2017-3-15
Use props
Quamera
lvl.2
Australia

RG although brushless the motors will have bearings top and bottom and a dry bearing can squeal and heat up although I would not have thought there would be enough power in a Phantom motor for the bearing to smoke, maybe that is the windings.

If DJI was smart they would put a coating on the windings that would smoke and smell at a temperature not much higher than maximum normal operating temperature as a warning that the motor is running hot and could be on the way out.
2017-3-15
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
United States

Oh yeah, to comment on Quamera's post..........make sure you also check the rotation. Yes, you need to put the right motor on, but check to see that is runs the correct direction. If for some reason the color coding might be different  or something, you may have the correct motor but wired up wrong, in which case you need to swap a couple wires to change direction. Ha....I like the Rotary Hoe.
2017-3-15
Use props
Phantom3ProPilo
lvl.4
Croatia

RicardoGray Posted at 2017-3-15 12:31
Oh yeah, to comment on Quamera's post..........make sure you also check the rotation. Yes, you need to put the right motor on, but check to see that is runs the correct direction. If for some reason the color coding might be different  or something, you may have the correct motor but wired up wrong, in which case you need to swap a couple wires to change direction. Ha....I like the Rotary Hoe.

Yeah I'm aware of that
Thanks RicardoGray
Will let you know how it goes
2017-3-16
Use props
Phantom3ProPilo
lvl.4
Croatia

Quamera Posted at 2017-3-15 12:10
P3PP, they turn in opposite directions so if you put the wrong one in the Phantom will do its best impression of a rotary hoe. Unless DJI have already thought of that scenario and have programmed it to shut down first but I did have a laugh thinking about the possibilities.

On 2nd thoughts they hadn't thought about it being upside down and not moving to shut off the motors so maybe you would have a rotary hoe. Hello 4 new motors and a set of props but at least you might have a new vege bed.

Yes, I'm aware of that
Thanks Quamera
2017-3-16
Use props
MJLSTUDIOS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

Its ovious in your video that you are a risk taker! If you decide to fly in high winds, hand launch and hand recover your drone! This will prevent the wind from tipping your drone over upon take off and landing. There is a possibility that the blades will cut you open like a hot knife through butter....but what the heck, you're a risk taker!
2017-3-16
Use props
Quamera
lvl.2
Australia

Phantom3ProPilo Posted at 2017-3-16 00:50
Yes, I'm aware of that
Thanks Quamera

Yes, I thought you would have to be. I made a wrong assumption that the "A" and non "A" just rotated in opposite directions when they are really different motor models and need different main boards so they can't be interchanged.
2017-3-16
Use props
Phantom3ProPilo
lvl.4
Croatia

I still haven't replaced the motor because I just didn't yet have the time to do it
But today I turned the drone on and started it without propellers and noticed a burning smell
I turned it off immediately and after trying to find the source I was shocked
The front CCW motor had a burnt smell
So it seems that I'm replacing both back and front CCW
But how could have this happened?
It was in a box on the shelf for months now... I think that I'll be better off just buying a new Phantom...

2017-5-23
Use props
fans987d278a
lvl.4
Flight distance : 124180 ft
Canada

Phantom3ProPilo Posted at 2017-5-23 07:59
I still haven't replaced the motor because I just didn't yet have the time to do it
But today I turned the drone on and started it without propellers and noticed a burning smell
I turned it off immediately and after trying to find the source I was shocked

Much cheaper to replace two motors than buying a new bird. My buddies P4 did the upside down dance, much squealing from motors, couldn't figure which motor or motors were hurt, so he replaced the two motors that let off a burnt smell, at idle.
This way 3 months ago & bird flies as new
2017-5-23
Use props
Phantom3ProPilo
lvl.4
Croatia

fans987d278a Posted at 2017-5-23 08:23
Much cheaper to replace two motors than buying a new bird. My buddies P4 did the upside down dance, much squealing from motors, couldn't figure which motor or motors were hurt, so he replaced the two motors that let off a burnt smell, at idle.
This way 3 months ago & bird flies as new

Yes it is cheaper to just replace the motors but my gimbal is also malfunctioning (none of the motors on the gimbal actually do anything, it's just limp , even though the camera works sort of)
Gimbal is 399$ so I don't feel like spending that much on it, I'd rather buy a new one...
2017-5-23
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Whether you can see burnt windings or not, the smoke came from somewhere.  What usually happens is the inner windings, where you can't see, are the ones that are burnt.  For the cost of them, I wouldn't hesitate to replace all four motors, not just the ones you suspect.  When inductors overheat, they permanently change electrical properties, even if you can't see any damage.  Also inspect carefully around the ESC chips (where the motor wires go).  They are the source of squealing with an overload (I think), and may have taken too much current flow.  Check for any discoloration in any of the parts associated with the motors.  Shotgun it to be safe.  It will make a good backup drone, since you're going to replace it anyway.
2017-5-23
Use props
fans987d278a
lvl.4
Flight distance : 124180 ft
Canada

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2017-5-23 10:21
Whether you can see burnt windings or not, the smoke came from somewhere.  What usually happens is the inner windings, where you can't see, are the ones that are burnt.  For the cost of them, I wouldn't hesitate to replace all four motors, not just the ones you suspect.  When inductors overheat, they permanently change electrical properties, even if you can't see any damage.  Also inspect carefully around the ESC chips (where the motor wires go).  They are the source of squealing with an overload (I think), and may have taken too much current flow.  Check for any discoloration in any of the parts associated with the motors.  Shotgun it to be safe.  It will make a good backup drone, since you're going to replace it anyway.

Question re- motors- Aren't the Phantoms motors all the same? Meaning you can put any motor on any arm , but, you must wire it so the motor turns in the proper direction for that particular leg?
I know on one of my first small drones, I could simply switch the 2 motor wires to change direction from CCW to CW.
2017-5-24
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans987d278a Posted at 2017-5-24 06:51
Question re- motors- Aren't the Phantoms motors all the same? Meaning you can put any motor on any arm , but, you must wire it so the motor turns in the proper direction for that particular leg?
I know on one of my first small drones, I could simply switch the 2 motor wires to change direction from CCW to CW.

The prop' threads on the P3 series motors are CW or CCW so you would need to purchase the correct ones.
2017-5-24
Use props
SS396
New
United States

I am glad you posted.  A few months ago my P3P found it's way into the shrubs while landing.  Props fouled.  One of the motors squealed and smoked.  Burnt my finger (Blistered) when I touched it.  Seemed to be no after effects on the drone.  But now my P3  rotates back about 1/4 turn when turned to the right. I wonder now if that motor might be the issue.  
2017-5-24
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Like Aardvark mentioned, there are designated CW and CCW motors that you need to ensure that you replace the corresponding ones accordingly. Black tipped motors are CW, while silver is CCW. That's been a thing from the P2 on. The P1's and the older DIY tuned propulsions had interchangeable motors due to not using self tightening props.
2017-5-24
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

SS396 Posted at 2017-5-24 09:01
I am glad you posted.  A few months ago my P3P found it's way into the shrubs while landing.  Props fouled.  One of the motors squealed and smoked.  Burnt my finger (Blistered) when I touched it.  Seemed to be no after effects on the drone.  But now my P3  rotates back about 1/4 turn when turned to the right. I wonder now if that motor might be the issue.

It might be a motor or ESC issue.
2017-5-24
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
United States

Generally, I would say not.  I'd say not.  Threads should be reversed.  As for what may have burned, if it came out of the motor, it's probably some of the windings.  You can't see them all, as they are mulit-layered coils.  The inner ones will be hotter due to less air able to cool them.
2017-5-24
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
United States

But I have also wondered where that squealing comes from? I just can't figure out how it does that. It has nothing to do with the props, and the motors are brushless so what is making that noise? Would be curious to hear if anybody really knows what is happening when it makes those sounds.

I don't know "what is happening when it makes those sounds",  but I have a theory.  Having retired from over 57 years of electronics, I can tell you that high powered transistors can sing loudly.  It could be the ESC units, or even the motor itself when high current pulsed electricity is sent though the windings of the motor and the frame itself is acting as a resonator that you can hear.
2017-5-24
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
United States

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2017-5-24 17:12
But I have also wondered where that squealing comes from? I just can't figure out how it does that. It has nothing to do with the props, and the motors are brushless so what is making that noise? Would be curious to hear if anybody really knows what is happening when it makes those sounds.

I don't know "what is happening when it makes those sounds",  but I have a theory.  Having retired from over 57 years of electronics, I can tell you that high powered transistors can sing loudly.  It could be the ESC units, or even the motor itself when high current pulsed electronics is sent though the windings of the motor and the frame itself is acting as a resonator that you can hear.

Interesting theory. It does make some sense for sure. Yeah that noise is crazy isn't it? Thanks for your comments.
2017-5-25
Use props
Kevfoley
New

Ireland

I am having a similar problem. I move home to Ireland from the Caribbean and at first had problems getting the Drone to recognise where it was, (fixed with advanced calibration).  But secondly the motors started shunting when i tried to start them. Not spinning properly like they were jamming then they started smoking. The drone has limited flying time and never crashed. I tried the motor test in the app but it is not working. Any ideas? - the drone is a phantom2 very disappointed so far.
2017-9-24
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Tape some Chantix on.  Take away the Marlboros
2017-9-24
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now