Mavic Disconnect and Lost
2341 24 2017-3-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ExtremiS
lvl.1
Flight distance : 49281 ft
Thailand

Hi guy, im new here to the forum but i have been with the mavic for 3 weeks. Today (about 5 hr ago) my mavic was disconnect from the controller after im up for 5mins about a kilometer away but i set the drone to hover in place if disconnected, so i grab a motorbike and went to the bridge near the last place that the drone was supposed to hover above. But there was nothing in the sky(about 70m up) so i keep looking for the next 30mins, i got nothing my mavic was probably gone.Here is my flight log, please explain something to me (im very new to this)

https://healthydrones.com/main?f ... _id=GENERALOverview

Can i do anything about it? or just get a new one? If im get a new one, can i buy only a mavic without remote controller since i bought a pack with extrabattery and bag.
- im in sport mode

thank you in advance
2017-3-13
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Sorry to hear that. Looks like there were multiple warnings about disconnections, weak signals and interference -- these are scenarios where an RTH instead of hover on disconnect might have been more appropriate, or possibly not flying at all, but I'm sure you realize this now.

Seems likely the Mavic hovered over the river until the battery depleted, triggering a forced landing in water. If the Mavic also was unlucky enough to lose GPS or if there was a strong wind, it could have drifted and ended up who knows where.

Last I checked you can buy a Mavic-only from the DJI store, but you might as well pay the extra $100 and get the controller, which you could turn around on eBay to recoup some of your loss.
2017-3-13
Use props
ExtremiS
lvl.1
Thailand

i suspect my mavic have lost the gps too otherwise it should hovered in place since i went to the drone no more than 10 minute after the disconnect and my remote said i got around 66% when the disconnect happened but too bad after i arrived, the drone was gone.

I still dont know why my remote with phone attached didn't reconnect when im near (im pretty sure that the drone wont fall into the river and died, i should hovered around 50m+) like around 100-200m on the bridge with no obstruction. Need some explanation please.

I guess people learn the hard way flying drone until they r experience enough right?
2017-3-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sorry for losing your Mavic, for the future you should only set RTH to Hover if you are flying underneath something or any situation where you don't want it to rise.
Here is the link for support and see if you are able to purchase the aircraft only.
http://www.dji.com/support
2017-3-13
Use props
fansed1e72d2
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1211 ft
United States

Big mistake setting it to just hover, as you just found out. Return to home is the safety net....or left swipe on the controler and hit return to me.....if it was hovering you could have done that and hit return to home again.....just saying begginers should always set rth to a specific point...
2017-3-13
Use props
daivatam
lvl.3
Flight distance : 473389 ft
Romania

Why the remote was not reconnected to the quad....even if u vent close to drone point...why was not there where should be...a lot of question.... anyway bad choice to set it to hover....
2017-3-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

ExtremiS Posted at 2017-3-13 08:56
i suspect my mavic have lost the gps too otherwise it should hovered in place since i went to the drone no more than 10 minute after the disconnect and my remote said i got around 66% when the disconnect happened but too bad after i arrived, the drone was gone.

I still dont know why my remote with phone attached didn't reconnect when im near (im pretty sure that the drone wont fall into the river and died, i should hovered around 50m+) like around 100-200m on the bridge with no obstruction. Need some explanation please.

Those logs won't tell the story, yes you lost signal and it looks like it was hovering but after that those HD logs are useless, who knows dji may see a different picture, it doesn't look great. But I would wait and see what dji' outcome is.
Good luck.
2017-3-13
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Maybe it landed in the river?
2017-3-13
Use props
fans825c0532
lvl.4
Flight distance : 341355 ft
  • >>>
Canada

sorry you lost your mavic... i'm looking at battery... and it looks like close to when you had signal loss, it started to descend.. maybe your setting was not set to Hover..... but to descend..
it also looks like you are flying in a probably signal saturated area... flying out 1km is pretty far, especially if there might be buildings blocking... it is best to fly with a direct view of the drone with nothing in between controller and the drone....

hope you get back in the air soon, but try not to fly so far away when within city.
2017-3-13
Use props
ExtremiS
lvl.1
Thailand

fans825c0532 Posted at 2017-3-13 21:15
sorry you lost your mavic... i'm looking at battery... and it looks like close to when you had signal loss, it started to descend.. maybe your setting was not set to Hover..... but to descend..
it also looks like you are flying in a probably signal saturated area... flying out 1km is pretty far, especially if there might be buildings blocking... it is best to fly with a direct view of the drone with nothing in between controller and the drone....

i was descending and heading forward then the disconnect kicked in, i also on the top of a 10th floor building which is taller than most building there but arhhh i should've come home first before heading out again
2017-3-14
Use props
ExtremiS
lvl.1
Thailand

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-3-13 09:09
Sorry for losing your Mavic, for the future you should only set RTH to Hover if you are flying underneath something or any situation where you don't want it to rise.
Here is the link for support and see if you are able to purchase the aircraft only.
http://www.dji.com/support

seems like i cant, i saw some where that mavic only cost $749 but in the page, only $999 and up
2017-3-14
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

ExtremiS Posted at 2017-3-14 02:31
seems like i cant, i saw some where that mavic only cost $749 but in the page, only $999 and up

$749 (USD) was the price that DJI mentioned for the drone by itself when the Mavic was announced, but once it became available for purchase that way the actual price was $899. And as Ex Machina pointed out, it would make more sense to just pay the extra $100 for the "fly less" bundle and sell the remote.
2017-3-14
Use props
ExtremiS
lvl.1
Thailand

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-3-14 02:35
$749 (USD) was the price that DJI mentioned for the drone by itself when the Mavic was announced, but once it became available for purchase that way the actual price was $899. And as Ex Machina pointed out, it would make more sense to just pay the extra $100 for the "fly less" bundle and sell the remote.

oh, thank you
seems like a long way of save up before i can get back to the sky
2017-3-14
Use props
fans302fcd3a
lvl.4
Flight distance : 228169 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

ExtremiS Posted at 2017-3-14 02:47
oh, thank you
seems like a long way of save up before i can get back to the sky

In the mean time you can study the manual !?
2017-3-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

ExtremiS Posted at 2017-3-14 02:31

As the prior post stated, here's the link to purchase. http://store.dji.com/product/mav ... charger#/?_k=4yzgyn
I really am sorry for your loss.
The Mavic is an extremely easy aircraft to fly but you must know all of it's features, functions, and limitations, and have flight settings adjusted correctly to your flight environment.
2017-3-14
Use props
BentonJoyce
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234318 ft
United States

I would just say you shouldn't let it get that far away from you in the city. Even though the mavic might claim 4 mile distance a lot of factors come into play when flying in the city. The signal interference can be huge this biggest thing is to keep that thing where you can see it when in the city.  
2017-3-14
Use props
ExtremiS
lvl.1
Thailand

Another quick question come to my mind, do i have to charge my remote controller and 2 spare batteries (from combo pack) say once a week. Or should i leave them discharging and recharge them again when i get new mavic and ready to fly? (probably months away)
2017-3-14
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

ExtremiS Posted at 2017-3-14 09:27
Another quick question come to my mind, do i have to charge my remote controller and 2 spare batteries (from combo pack) say once a week. Or should i leave them discharging and recharge them again when i get new mavic and ready to fly? (probably months away)

Or should i leave them discharging and recharge them again when i get new mavic and ready to fly?

Yes. LiPo batteries (the kind the Mavic uses) are best stored at around 50%, so if yours are below that you'll want to charge them until they're at least at half capacity. Once you've done that (or if they're already charged) then just leave them alone and they'll self-discharge to the appropriate range if necessary. But no, you don't want to keep them 100% charged because that's not good for their long term health.
2017-3-14
Use props
fans825c0532
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

ExtremiS Posted at 2017-3-14 02:19
i was descending and heading forward then the disconnect kicked in, i also on the top of a 10th floor building which is taller than most building there but arhhh i should've come home first before heading out again

it is normal to panic.
but in future, you should try to increase altitude if winds are not strong.. the higher you go, the better reception . when you descend, it makes sense so that it is closer to the ground.. but actually that is when your drone can be interrupted by all the other signals from buildings.

Even if you took off from 10th floor.. for sure there are other signals to the left and right of you. these other signals also have an effect on your signal.

Also... you seemed to just ignore the warnings within the first 2 minutes of your flight.. which probably means you did not keep it in your eye's sight and just flew based on what you saw on the screen...
be careful next time.
2017-3-14
Use props
MW2005
lvl.1
Flight distance : 7185 ft
Austria

@DJI Ken "The Mavic is an extremely easy aircraft to fly but you must know all of it's features, functions, and limitations, and have flight settings adjusted correctly to your flight environment."

yeah but no Pilot can to anything when the Mavic turn off Power in mid fly,...
2017-3-14
Use props
ExtremiS
lvl.1
Thailand

fans825c0532 Posted at 2017-3-14 11:56
it is normal to panic.
but in future, you should try to increase altitude if winds are not strong.. the higher you go, the better reception . when you descend, it makes sense so that it is closer to the ground.. but actually that is when your drone can be interrupted by all the other signals from buildings.

yeah, i just hit the sport mode and went directly to the bridge in the picture.
worst decision ever.
i guess next time i should go near the bridge and fly around the area.
2017-3-15
Use props
ExtremiS
lvl.1
Thailand

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-3-14 09:40
Or should i leave them discharging and recharge them again when i get new mavic and ready to fly?

Yes. LiPo batteries (the kind the Mavic uses) are best stored at around 50%, so if yours are below that you'll want to charge them until they're at least at half capacity. Once you've done that (or if they're already charged) then just leave them alone and they'll self-discharge to the appropriate range if necessary. But no, you don't want to keep them 100% charged because that's not good for their long term health.

ok and if the battery hit 0, i suppose i should charge it up to 50% and let them be right?

Also thank you all of the comments, i really got my lesson
2017-3-15
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

ExtremiS Posted at 2017-3-15 00:29
ok and if the battery hit 0, i suppose i should charge it up to 50% and let them be right?

if the battery hit 0, i suppose i should charge it up to 50% and let them be right?

Yes, that would be fine and it will eventually self-discharge. Or you can just charge it until the third green light starts flashing and then take it off the charger.

You're welcome. I'm sorry that you lost your Mavic.
2017-3-15
Use props
fans825c0532
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

ExtremiS Posted at 2017-3-15 00:26
yeah, i just hit the sport mode and went directly to the bridge in the picture.
worst decision ever.
i guess next time i should go near the bridge and fly around the area.

so, when you hit sport mode, that burns out your battery even faster -which is not something you want if you lose signal and need more time to reach it.

take care buddy
2017-3-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

fans825c0532 Posted at 2017-3-15 10:45
so, when you hit sport mode, that burns out your battery even faster -which is not something you want if you lose signal and need more time to reach it.

take care buddy

It was also left hovering, which uses up most battery.
2017-3-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules