TIPS NEEDED: Flying near volcanos in Congo
656 5 2017-3-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Solvstrom
lvl.1
United States

Hi everyone.
I'm going to Congo witin the next few days, and we are doing a hike up to the Nyiragongo volcano. I have seen a few YouTube clips of excisting footage, but also read stories about drones getting lost up there. One told me the radiation near the volcano make it difficult to handle the drone.

My question is wether anyone has any experience in flying near volcanos? Maybe even the Nyiragongo volcano? I would appreciate tips and tricks to handle this beast

Best, Morten
2017-3-13
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Radiation ???
2017-3-13
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.3
Flight distance : 451335 ft
United States

link to stories of lost drones due to high radiation?
2017-3-13
Use props
Solvstrom
lvl.1
United States

Volcanos emit strong infra-red and ultra-violet radiation because of the heat. I don't have any articles about drones and radiation but people are mentioning it in other posts.
2017-3-13
Use props
boostedford
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144478 ft
United States

interesting i never knew volcanos emit radiation
2017-3-13
Use props
Supervisor
lvl.2
Flight distance : 197602 ft
United States

Normally "radiation" refers to ionizing radiations, such as gamma or x-ray radiation. Unless there is an uranium mine nearby, I don't think you need to be concerned about radiation. The volcanic ashes, however, are very sharp and abrasive. The friction between the ash particles will produce enormous electromagnetic discharges, which will interfere with the compass and the radio signal if the drone is close enough. That's also why you see massive lightning storms within the eruptions.
2017-3-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules