Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rmaxwell.dccnet
lvl.4
Flight distance : 698661 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Hi Folks,

I am one of the many people that is having trouble with the i1 showing a compass error shortly after take off and then switching back to GPS mode and flying fine the rest of the flight.  Since I have been flying R/C helicopters for some time this does not cause me a great problem, but is anoying.  I have 33 flights and five hours on my i1 and have not had any crashes.

I live in Vancouver, BC Canada.  The magnetic variation is more than 20 degrees here.  This is the difference between true North and magnetic North.  I am wondering if the people that are not having this problem live in an area where this magnetic variation is much smaller.  I would like to hear from people who are having the problem and what the magnetic variation is in their area.  Is the firmware able to account for this, or is it having a problem with this?

Has DJI compensated for this in their firmware?

What is at the root of this problem?

When will we see new firmware?

Tahoe_Ed...can you shed any light on this?

Ray
2015-2-24
Use props
alessandrobecca
lvl.3
Switzerland

Hi , I live in southern switzerland and sofar never had any issues of GPS loss. In all honestly I do ignore what the magnetic variation is here I searched the internet and it appears to be :2° 7' E  ± 0° 21'  changing by  0° 7' E per year. Does this makes sense and help you further in your evaluation ??
2015-2-24
Use props
Dave E
lvl.4
Flight distance : 729560 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I live in Northern England with a magnetic declination of -2 degrees. I do have the problem of gps loss and compass error shortly after take off.

This is a very valid point Ray. One of DJI's competitors requires that you enter the magnetic declination value of your flying area into the programming software during set up.
I too am looking forward to a response from Tahoe Ed on this one.
2015-2-24
Use props
arunmehta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120909757 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I am in Ajax Ontario canada
I am having constant reproducible gps loss shortly after takeoff my magnetic declination is -10 48' i agree the software is the culprit and needs to have mag declination input

Latitude: 43° 51' 0" N
Longitude: 79° 1' 0" W
Magnetic declination: -10° 48'
Declination is NEGATIVE (WEST)
Inclination: 69° 59'
Magnetic field strength: 54136.5 nT
2015-2-24
Use props
rceye
lvl.1

Australia

have compass error shortly after takeoff about 90% of the time - once locked it which is no more than 2 minutes into flight then no problems there after with this issue

HOBART
Latitude: 42° 55' 0" S
Longitude: 147° 19' 60" E
Magnetic declination: +14° 57'
Declination is POSITIVE (EAST)
Inclination: 72° 35'
Magnetic field strength: 62032.6 nT
2015-3-5
Use props
markjacobs.talk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

East Midlands UK - absolutely no compass errors whatsoever since first flight out of the box.
Been watching out for it and am prepared but so far zero problems.
2015-3-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules