Compiling a list of Insurance companies
2869 14 2017-3-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Coigreach
lvl.4
Flight distance : 546014 ft
Australia

Just thought I'd start the ball rolling on Insurance for Drones!

• What do you have Insured?
  • What insurance company are you with for your Drone?
  • What does it cover?
  • What is the excess?
  • Have you made a claim & are you happy with the result?

Thanks
Karl
Inspire 1 and Inspire 2 from Perth, Western Australia

2017-3-13
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

I didn't think there would be any insurance companies in Australia that would specifically cover a drone so I would be interested to know if there are any,
At the moment, my household insurance will cover it if it is stolen or accidentally damaged if I dropped it but I doubt they would cover a fly away.
2017-3-13
Use props
Coigreach
lvl.4
Australia

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2017-3-14
Use props
Rosco123
lvl.1
Australia

I applied for some insurance with the company below, AVCOVER. They got back to me the same day with a quote (I have just cut and pasted it from my email)

Thanks for your enquiry.
We can assist with cover for drones in above & below 2kg category operated commercially
We can arrange the following covers;

1. Third Party Liability for Drone in flight (premiums below)

2. Third Party Liability for Drone in flight  + Ground and Transit cover for Drone (please enquire)

Requirements are:

1.Have a Aviation Reference number (https://www.casa.gov.au/standard-page/arn-applications)   

2. Receipt from CASA for online registration valid for 24 months

Indicative premiums are as follows;

$  5.00M Third Party Liability :      $799.57 plus govn’t charges

$10.00M Third party Liability:      $962.00 plus govn’t charges

$20.00M Third Party Liability:  $1,124.40 plus govn’t charges   

Should you wish to take out the cover, we would require the following;

.        Start Date for insurance

·         The level of cover you would like

·         The type of drone (s)

·          Name of pilot/operator

·         Your postal address

·         Any claims / convictions / bankruptcy last 5 years?
Kind Regards,
Aaron Stephenson; Director

avcover
2017-3-18
Use props
MaryS
New
Flight distance : 58215 ft
United States

• What do you have Insured? - Mavic
  • What insurance company are you with for your Drone? State Farm (UNFORTUNATELY) - that will be changing when I can find an alternitive.
  • What does it cover? Drone loss or damage.
  • What is the excess? Excess what? I don't understand what you are asking.
  • Have you made a claim & are you happy with the result? No claims. I am NOT AT ALL HAPPY with State Farm. They admit to being clueless. It took over a month for them to figure it out, and they still don't get it.

2017-3-23
Use props
Coigreach
lvl.4
Australia

MaryS Posted at 2017-3-23 14:36
  • What insurance company are you with for your Drone? State Farm (UNFORTUNATELY) - that will be changing when I can find an alternitive.

• Excess the same as car or house insurance... if you make a claim ...how much do you have to cover ie the first $250 or $500?
    2017-3-23
    Use props
    TPVAerials
    lvl.3

United States

Coigreach Posted at 2017-3-23 22:31
    Excess the same as car or house insurance... if you make a claim ...how much do you have to cover ie the first $250 or $500?

In the US, we refer to that as our deductible...I've actually never heard of it as the "excess".

On a few other threads, I've seen many people in the US have used StateFarm (most popular that I've seen) for drone insurance coverage. They all seem to be happy with the costs of the coverage. Roughly $60-100/year with a $0 deductible, yes those prices I mentioned are correct. I'm not positive without searching through some archives of what that covered: $500K, $1M, $2M, $10M, drone replacement, etc. Also, I don't recall anybody saying if they've had a claim yet or not. Feel free to search the forum for: Statefarm, insurance, etc...
    Mary above seemed to not be happy with StateFarm, claiming they were clueless, but according to other threads everyone has been happy with StateFarm.

I wanted to provide a litte insight on the topic, as well as follow along!
    2017-3-31
    Use props
    Aussie4220
    Second Officer
    Flight distance : 311732 ft
    United States

Rosco123 Posted at 2017-3-18 00:36
    I applied for some insurance with the company below, AVCOVER. They got back to me the same day with a quote (I have just cut and pasted it from my email)

Thanks for your enquiry.

so typical of australia, the cost is just ridiculous.  My malpractice insurance in Aust was less than that, more for a drone, go figure.
    2017-3-31
    Use props
    Aussie4220
    Second Officer
    United States

MaryS Posted at 2017-3-23 14:36

• "excess" in Australia for insurance means that when you make a claim you may have a $100, $200 etc excess.  This is the amount you would pay before the insurance covers you.  Its sort of like a "deductible"
    2017-3-31
    Use props
    Aussie4220
    Second Officer
    United States

Does anyone have insurance in CA, State Farm does not cover drones in CA
    2017-3-31
    Use props
    Euc
    lvl.2
    Flight distance : 69 ft
    Australia

Aussie4220 Posted at 2017-3-31 12:08
    so typical of australia, the cost is just ridiculous.  My malpractice insurance in Aust was less than that, more for a drone, go figure.

Yes I have 10M PI and 10M PL for $650 for environmental consulting. That is with EnviroSure. Try them you never know.
    2017-3-31
    Use props
    fans105fe922
    lvl.1
    Australia

Insurance depends on a few things.
    2017-5-4
    Use props
    fans105fe922
    lvl.1
    Australia

#Quick Reply Here#
    2017-5-4
    Use props
    Typeface
    New
    Australia

CGI Insurance, I crashed my Mavic Pro drone into North Haven harbor, South Australia, drone was covered on household insurance as i had paid extra for optional valued item cover, 250 excess, told them exactly what happened, i was flying, it lost battery power, came down into the sea and they cleared the claim in a few days, they asked for a few quotes on price i replied saying DJI was the only place i could find that just sold the drone and it was $1699 so if possible can i just get the cash and add some money and get the combo deal again from DWI and they replied with yes and the $1699 minus the $250 excess was in my account a few days later, i ordered from DWI and wallah I'm flying again..

Moral of this story... Don't fly out to an island on half a battery with a strong wind behind you coming back was hard work for the drone and she just never made it home.
    2017-5-28
    Use props
    djiuser_K0O45Nl
    New

Philippines

I'm glad you asked something for insurance. I am dealing with car insurance and it covers different benefits with affordable premium. However, this is just a local insurance that helps for entire Philippines. I'm glad to found you here, at least I knew something from different country with the same industry.
    2017-9-22
    Use props
    Advanced
    You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules