Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Total Sales
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
embayweather
lvl.4
Flight distance : 556667 ft
United Kingdom

There are lots of reports on here about things going wrong with various DJI products, as I am sure it does with any maufacturer. To put things into perpective for us, are there any figures available on the numbers of these craft sold?

2017-3-13
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Probably close to the million mark by now, if not over.
2017-3-13
Use props
JackA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 32057 ft
United States

Remember that people logging into this forum are much more likely to have a "problem" than the hundreds of thousands of people who are flying without a problem.  Many are logging in to seek a solution to a problem they are experiencing.  My point being that you can not infer the scale of problems with DJI products from the "issues" posted on this or any other forum.
2017-3-13
Use props
embayweather
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I completely agree, that is why the figures might help it be put into perspective as you see some posters on herer very worried that breakdowns are the norm.
Geebax thank you for that thought. I too was thinkign along the same lines. iwas wondering if DJI can intervene here and perhaps let us knwo how many units have been sold since they began
2017-3-14
Use props
Simon Child
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153852 ft
United Kingdom

The Google Play store shows installs of DJI GO as being between 1,000,000 - 5,000,000, and DJI GO 4 at 100,000 - 500,000

However I think that counts each upgrade as an installl. and some users will have installed to more than one device (e.g. tablet and phone) so those numbers don't represent the number of aircraft sold or in use.

DJI GO 4 has gone through fewer versions so the 'inflation' of the count will be less in this case. But I've been through two or three versions of DJI GO 4, on two devices, so if I am anywhere near typical then that 100,000 - 500,000 might mean no more than 20,000 - 100,000 Android DJI GO 4 controlled devices.

PLUS there are the iOS users to count as well. I don't know my way around iTunes (foreign territory!) but on a quick glance I don't see any count of downloads there. But Android phones and tablets outsell Apple by a factor of 3-4 (last time I looked) so Apple users of DJI GO are unlikely to anywhere near double my speculations on numbers.

2017-3-14
Use props
Fruxen
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1370630 ft
Sweden

Reinstalls and updates doesn't add to the download counter, at least not on Android. Only the very first download to a specific device counts.

DJI Go 4 app for Android has more than 100,000 downloads. I guess the average user won't download the app to more than 1-2 devices, a mobile phone and a tablet. A few people use the same downloaded app to control more than one DJI aircraft. Let's say the average is roughly 1.5 downloads per user. 100,000 DJI GO 4 downloads, divided by 1.5 downloads per user. That would make 67,000 users with a Phantom 4 model or later.

The original DJI GO has over 1,000,000 downloads. Assuming the users above would count for 100,000 duplicate downloads before moving on to DJI GO 4, that would make 900,000 "real" downloads. 900,000 divided by 1,5 is 600,000 users. Phantom 3 series is far more more common than the later models so it's not unthinkable.

So my guesswork:
600,000 Android users of Osmo, Phantom 3 etc.
67,000 Android users of Phantom 4 and later models.
iOS? I see no download numbers but guessing they have 1/4 users compared to Android that would add another 166,000 users.

In total, 800,000+ DJI users/sales.

Feel free to point out any flaws in my calculation, I might easily have overlooked something.
2017-3-15
Use props
MJLSTUDIOS
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

Take into account that most of what you read on this forum are issues created by pilot errors!
2017-3-15
Use props
Nigel_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Fruxen Posted at 2017-3-15 01:24
Reinstalls and updates doesn't add to the download counter, at least not on Android. Only the very first download to a specific device counts.

DJI Go 4 app for Android has more than 100,000 downloads. I guess the average user won't download the app to more than 1-2 devices, a mobile phone and a tablet. A few people use the same downloaded app to control more than one DJI aircraft. Let's say the average is roughly 1.5 downloads per user. 100,000 DJI GO 4 downloads, divided by 1.5 downloads per user. That would make 67,000 users with a Phantom 4 model or later.

I would guess that most P4 owners have not upgraded to Go4, unless it becomes a forced upgrade many never will, they may not even know about it...
2017-3-15
Use props
embayweather
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Thank you all for your thought, and also to Fruxen for your calculations which I certainly will not argue with. Short of official figures from DJI, it appears that a sales coutn of 800k to 1million is in order. Aslo as MJLStudios points out many issues are created by pilot errors it really does suggest how relaible and robust teh DJI family of machines are. Granted each will have faults like any machine, but I think it is something for newbies tor emember when thinking of buying one, is that they are really a very good piece of kit.
For the record I am not assocaited with DJI in any way, but I just felt the figures were worth lookg at.
2017-3-15
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

There's a nice little article Here regarding the current state of play in the drone market.
2017-6-19
Use props
embayweather
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Many thanks for that. It was indeed a very interesting article, I learnt a lot from it. The major thing was how large the market for drones were.

2017-6-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules