797 6 2017-3-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
iKjell
lvl.3
Flight distance : 583094 ft
  • >>>
Norway

These forums might not give the Mavic a fair chance, since it tends to be the tiny fraction of people having issues, that speak out the most here, so here is my issue-free view of it.

After giving up on both at P3 4K and a P3 Advanced, both which had continously compass errors (got a lot of ATTI-training though ), I closed my eyes, and ordered the Mavic.
With two compasses, instead of only one, I was hoping (and praying) the probability of issues, should at least reduce.

The Mavic finally arrived last week, and can easily say that this was an upgrade I do not regret one second.
Really surprised of how small it is, compared to the Phantoms. It will definately get more hours in the air, just because of this, since it is so easy bring along.
I like the smaller controller as well, although it can be a little fiddly to get hooked up with the phone. Also have not got used to the second screen yet, but I am sure it will come with more practice, as it is probably better at showing critial information.

So, after some charging and updating of aircraft, controller and batteries, I finally took it out for some first system checks. With my previous experience of the Phantoms in mind, it was all about taking it easy. This little thing, though, was just rock solid. If it wasn't for the sound, it would be possible to mistake it for being fixed on a pole or something. This definately helped on a slightly damaged confidence from the compass broken Phantoms.

Headed for some large open fields for the first real flight, and it just kept on impressing. Ran through a lot of systems and options, and I cannot think of any occations where it did not behave as expected, and I have not seen it go into ATTI once (which is a relief, because that was really causing a pain with the Phantoms). Not even in Sport mode with maximum throttle. Had it out at +1500 meters (in line of sight, although you cannot really see it at that distance, but from camera and map I could navigate in the scenery and "see" where it was), and still all connection bars at 100%

Once, I have had an intereference warning, but that was after it had landed, and probably due to the controller coming too close to some sensors, when I was picking it up.
Talking about picking it up - my landing pad blew away during one of my landings due to the downwash, so I dared to go for a hand catch, since it is so stable. And that was really no problem at all. It is so small and light, so it is quite easy to grip it without getting even close to the propellers. I did not turn of the VPS first, so it fought back a short moment before the motors stopped, but really noe issues at all.

Before this, I also tried RTH with the Precision landing. Just awesome - came back from anywhere, to land within 10cm from take-off.
One thing I could not figure out, was if it is possible to initiate Precision landing without the RTH? Could be occasions when I have brought it back home myself, and I would just have it to land itself, without bothering to line up against the landing pad manually.

So, as an aircraft, this little machine has so far surpassed my expectations by far. As a camera though, I would probably be a bit more modest.
As I have read about, the 1080 HD option, is really useless. In 60 or 96fps, it gets so pixelated (moire?), that if I had guessed the resolution of the video, it would probably be more in the 480*640 area...
2.7K though, looks very good, but sometimes when there is a lot of movement, I would really like to have the 60fps. It might be that 1280*720 is better at high fps, but have not yet tried this.

All in all, I am absolutely delighted with the Mavic. Can't really wait to get it back in the air, and learn more about it's features.

Will keep on reading and learning, but any tips on settings, especially the camera, would be appreciated for a relatively fresh pilot/cameraman
2017-3-14
Use props
Scunna
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Nice one, glad your satisfied.
2017-3-14
Use props
bunny too
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13442 ft
United States

Congratulations, mine does well when the weather permits.  And yes you can precesicon land by bringing it home then hitting the land button.
regards,
-d.
2017-3-14
Use props
Flybee
First Officer
Flight distance : 2203983 ft
Germany

Nice to hear i have the same view also coming fr.o.m. The phantoms
2017-3-14
Use props
ProQuad
lvl.4
Flight distance : 20296870 ft
  • >>>
United States

Glad to see a positive thread!  I have a Inspire 1, P4P, & the Mavic.  Agreed, Mavic, for its size, is solid!  Love taking it with me where ever without taking up too much room.
2017-3-14
Use props
iKjell
lvl.3
Flight distance : 583094 ft
  • >>>
Norway

bunny too Posted at 2017-3-14 04:10
Congratulations, mine does well when the weather permits.  And yes you can precesicon land by bringing it home then hitting the land button.
regards,
-d.

So, hitting the landing button will automatically initiate "Precision Landing", as long as I have ticked the box at "Auto take-off"?
Have not tried it to be honest, but it is not like it is auto-landing wherever it might be at the time?
2017-3-16
Use props
fansc2962bbc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 29452 ft
Norway

Glad to hear you are satisfied with the Mavic. My second Mavic is behaving as expected . Very pleased. My fist one lasted 15 minutes before it committed suicide. Lol
2017-3-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules