Mini 4
1918 25 2017-3-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bonez
lvl.2
Flight distance : 696788 ft
United States

Hey all, new to the form. I have a p4 and been using a s5 android phone. I want to switch to a mini 4 Ipad that I have but I am unable to connect to the wifi from the p4.The mini 4 is celluar but doesn't have a sim card in it. I was wondering if that would keep it from connecting? I have also looked into the settings and I don's see the wifi from the phantom 4. Can someone help me understand what I'm missing here? I have looked through the forums and I have tried deleting the app and also restoring the mini 4.
2017-3-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Only the Phantom 3 Standard and  4k versions connect to your device through WiFi.
Your P4 connects with your Lightning charge cable.
2017-3-14
Use props
Bonez
lvl.2
United States

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I was using the cable that came with the Ipad mini 4.
2017-3-14
Use props
Propwash
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13058 ft
United Kingdom

Bonez Posted at 2017-3-14 09:49
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I was using the cable that came with the Ipad mini 4.

Use the cable that came with the P4
2017-3-14
Use props
Bonez
lvl.2
United States

Propwash Posted at 2017-3-14 11:10
Use the cable that came with the P4

The cable that came with the phantom will not fit the mini 4. One has internal (P4) and the other external (mini 4) connections.
2017-3-14
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Bonez Posted at 2017-3-14 11:29
The cable that came with the phantom will not fit the mini 4. One has internal (P4) and the other external (mini 4) connections.

Try a different lightning cable and see if there are any changes. In addition, what are your current USB settings on your Mini 4? Having an active or non active cellular package wouldn't keep it from connecting to the Go4 app.
2017-3-14
Use props
Dennis D
lvl.3
Flight distance : 143468 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hey Bonez, I'm a new drone owner and got my P4P today along with a Mini iPad 4. Down loaded the GO App, connected USB directly from RC to iPad (don't use the mini adapter, use the regular USB cable) and it worked flawlessly. I made the mistake of using that short USB adapter and that didn't work. Took a few minutes to figure out what I did wrong.
2017-3-14
Use props
Nigelbrinkmann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 586391 ft
Australia

Are you using the 'DJI go 4' app or just the 'go' app?
Use the go 4 app
2017-3-14
Use props
Bonez
lvl.2
United States

Dennis D Posted at 2017-3-14 15:26
Hey Bonez, I'm a new drone owner and got my P4P today along with a Mini iPad 4. Down loaded the GO App, connected USB directly from RC to iPad (don't use the mini adapter, use the regular USB cable) and it worked flawlessly. I made the mistake of using that short USB adapter and that didn't work. Took a few minutes to figure out what I did wrong.

The cable that came with the P4 won't work on my mini Ipad4. It's a different shape and the connectors are on the outside of the plug while the P4 cable has it's connectors inside.
2017-3-14
Use props
Bonez
lvl.2
United States

Nigelbrinkmann Posted at 2017-3-14 15:33
Are you using the 'DJI go 4' app or just the 'go' app?
Use the go 4 app

Looking at the app now and it's DJI GO 4.
2017-3-14
Use props
CCrew
lvl.3
Flight distance : 41568 ft
United States

You need USB Mini to lightning cable. USB goes in the bird, Lightning in the iPad. Done.
2017-3-14
Use props
Bonez
lvl.2
United States

I want to thank everyone who has given me suggestions on how to get this mini 4 to work with the P4. So far nothing seems to get the picture to come through the mini 4. The Phantom still flies I just dont have access to the camera or other features that the system has.
2017-3-14
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Bonez Posted at 2017-3-14 17:20
I want to thank everyone who has given me suggestions on how to get this mini 4 to work with the P4. So far nothing seems to get the picture to come through the mini 4. The Phantom still flies I just dont have access to the camera or other features that the system has.

When you connect the cable to the iPad, do you see a message to 'trust this device'? How many other lightning cables have you tried thus far?
2017-3-14
Use props
Bonez
lvl.2
United States

No, no messages and I have used 2 cables with the same results.
2017-3-15
Use props
Crack The Sky
lvl.3
Flight distance : 123402 ft
United States

Bonez Posted at 2017-3-15 04:15
No, no messages and I have used 2 cables with the same results.

I want to make sure I understand you are hooking up correctly. Connect male USB to the female USB on the top / front  of the remote controller and Lightning to the Mini IPad.
2017-3-15
Use props
Bonez
lvl.2
United States

Yes, that's a fair question. I used a new one (cable) after I reset the Ipad to new factory settings.  Only loaded Google chrome then DJI GO 4. Plug the pad into the RC then turned it on then the P4. Stills shows it's disconnected in the upper left hand side of the screen. In the lower right side of the screen on the app it showed a current map but no image from the camera. Seems like there is a failure to communicate with the Ipad and the RC/P4.   The drone itself responds to the RC, so the RC and drone are still talking to each other.
2017-3-15
Use props
TPVAerials
lvl.3

United States

Bonez Posted at 2017-3-15 10:51
Yes, that's a fair question. I used a new one (cable) after I reset the Ipad to new factory settings.  Only loaded Google chrome then DJI GO 4. Plug the pad into the RC then turned it on then the P4. Stills shows it's disconnected in the upper left hand side of the screen. In the lower right side of the screen on the app it showed a current map but no image from the camera. Seems like there is a failure to communicate with the Ipad and the RC/P4.   The drone itself responds to the RC, so the RC and drone are still talking to each other.

This definitely sounds like a communication/data video signal issue...
By chance does anyone know if there is a setting within the DJI Go 4 app that can turn on/off the video signal from the drone's camera to the iPad mini 4?
2017-3-15
Use props
Bonez
lvl.2
United States

Does it make a difference that the drone was used (setup) with a android phone? Then later wanting to switch to a larger Ipad.
2017-3-15
Use props
TPVAerials
lvl.3

United States

Bonez Posted at 2017-3-15 11:07
Does it make a difference that the drone was used (setup) with a android phone? Then later wanting to switch to a larger Ipad.

I will assume no (although I haven't used both android & apple in the past, only apple so far). However, there are mulitple posts & threads regarding using both android & apple products on the same drone to test out different apps & other unrelated issues between the two operating systems. None of them that I've seen have mentioned needing to alter a setting prior to using a different OS.
Did you already mention that you've tried a separate lightning cable out?
2017-3-15
Use props
Bonez
lvl.2
United States

Yes TPVAerials on the cables.
2017-3-15
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

try changing the start up order.  r/c then drone then, last, after the light on the controller goes green, plug in the pad.
2017-3-15
Use props
Phantom-Paul 7
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2551634 ft
Australia

I use a Mini4 and an Android tablet and jump back and forward between the 2 with no issues. The iPad mini is very fussy about the quality of the lightening cables (USB) . Are the cables your using genuine Apple?
I hate buying Apple branded accessories but this is one area where I will only use genuine.
2017-3-15
Use props
Bonez
lvl.2
United States

Phantom-Paul 7, I have used both Apple and another brand with the same results. I do appreciate all the suggestions and I will try most of the suggestions posted here.
2017-3-16
Use props
Bonez
lvl.2
United States

Kneepuck Posted at 2017-3-15 18:13
try changing the start up order.  r/c then drone then, last, after the light on the controller goes green, plug in the pad.

Thanks Kneepuck, I tried that but still no connection to the drone or camera.
2017-3-16
Use props
nscalernn3
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16565 ft
United States

Bonez Posted at 2017-3-16 05:58
Thanks Kneepuck, I tried that but still no connection to the drone or camera.

I don't know if this will work but it certainly won't hurt.  Try repairing the remote control with the bird.  Maybe the two aren't communicating correctly and passing along the camera output to the RC then to your ipad.  Hope this helps.
2017-3-16
Use props
Phantom-Paul 7
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2551634 ft
Australia

Long shot .... but have you tried removing the Go app completely from the mini and reinstalling it?
2017-3-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules