traveling with mavic
9965 22 2017-3-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
zbyna
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hi just wanted to ask about your experience with traveling with mavic. Do you take it with you on plane or you check in with your luggage? Did u have any problems on the airport when u travelled with mavic? thank you
2017-3-14
Use props
Range30
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11281079 ft
United States

This is a good topic! I'm curious as well.
2017-3-14
Use props
adverselection
lvl.2
Flight distance : 172523 ft
United States

Can't check the batteries.

Carried on my Mavic and two spare batteries on flights last week. No,problem.
2017-3-14
Use props
manfredo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1891142 ft
  • >>>
United States

I recently traveled with a Mavic, carried it my backpack along with my laptop, etc, and had no problems. I packed the spare batteries in my carry-on luggage. No concerns at all from TSA.
2017-3-14
Use props
Flybee
First Officer
Flight distance : 2203983 ft
Sweden

I have been traveling in Europe to France once Germany on several occasions and no worries at all, Carry on luggage (batteries is a must on most airline companies) Then don't even ask what is in the bag anymore. But check with the company you are planning to fly with to be sure.
2017-3-14
Use props
Oxygen
lvl.1
Flight distance : 36831 ft
Germany

I will fly with Emirates from Munich via Dubai to Thailand in December.
I found this on the emirates website:

Drones are not allowed as cabin baggage

For safety reasons, we can’t allow drones on board as cabin baggage. Drones can be accepted as checked-in baggage only. If you have a drone in your checked-in baggage you’ll be asked to either secure the Lithium batteries within the drone or remove the batteries and carry them in your cabin baggage. This regulation still applies even if you’re connecting to our flights from an airline that has accepted drones as cabin baggage.
https://www.emirates.com/english ... ing-dangerous-goods

Has anyone already flown with Emirates and has the Mavic in the hand luggage?
2017-3-14
Use props
seanjkil
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4892 ft

United States

I've carried on WOW, Southwest, and Frontier with no issues (along with the 2 spare batteries I have).   

Follow FAA rules on the spare batteries.

Batteries must be protected from damage.
Battery terminals (usually the ends) must be protected from short circuit (i.e., the terminals must not come in contact with other metal). Methods include: leaving the batteries in their retail packaging, covering battery terminals with tape, using a battery case, using a battery sleeve in a camera bag, or putting them snugly in a plastic bag or protective pouch.

https://www.faa.gov/about/initia ... more_info/?hazmat=7
2017-3-14
Use props
Samoth
lvl.3
Flight distance : 95640 ft
Belgium

Contacted a Belgian airport (I want to take my drone to Croatia this summer) and they told me I could take my drone in the cabin if the batteries are in a scelled bag and separated from each other.

I guess it's up to the airport, you have to contact them.
And once you get an answer, print it and take it with you the day you take off
2017-3-14
Use props
Heyandy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 413009 ft
United States

I took mine and two spare batteries in my carry on bag (backpack) about 4 weeks ago on Frontier and no issue.  In fact, will be flying again this Friday and expect to do the same, except four batteries.  I used the DJI bag to carry everything.  This time will have to put extra batteries in a lipo bag just in case.
2017-3-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

seanjkil Posted at 2017-3-14 12:32
I've carried on WOW, Southwest, and Frontier with no issues (along with the 2 spare batteries I have).   

Follow FAA rules on the spare batteries.

Here's to add to that.And I remember your Avatar, Mavic still flying good ?
You were the one who bought it used from Micro Center correct.

airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf

122.61 KB, Down times: 29

2017-3-14
Use props
BigKitty
lvl.2
Flight distance : 148907 ft
Canada

carry on for Canadian airlines no prob!
2017-3-14
Use props
seanjkil
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4892 ft

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-3-14 13:04
Here's to add to that.And I remember your Avatar, Mavic still flying good ?
You were the one who bought it used from Micro Center correct.

Hey Ken, no issues thankfully.   
2017-3-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

seanjkil Posted at 2017-3-15 06:10
Hey Ken, no issues thankfully.

Good to hear, thanks.
2017-3-15
Use props
Avean
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1480 ft
Norway

Been flying alot in Europe, no problem at all. Ive been carrying the drone with controller and 3 batteries on board the planes. Im going to philippines in end of may, then i will most likely check in the drone in a hard case while carrying the batteries with me in the plane. Batteries with you on the plane i think is normal in case they take fire and you can easily get to them.
2017-3-15
Use props
travelrikk
Captain
Flight distance : 21877946 ft
  • >>>
Malta

manfredo Posted at 2017-3-14 12:11
I recently traveled with a Mavic, carried it my backpack along with my laptop, etc, and had no problems. I packed the spare batteries in my carry-on luggage. No concerns at all from TSA.

How many spare?

Also it's airport regulations not airlines since airports will do the security checks and not airlines.
2017-3-15
Use props
mstevens
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19078 ft
United States

travelrikk Posted at 2017-3-15 07:55
How many spare?

Also it's airport regulations not airlines since airports will do the security checks and not airlines.

Airlines get to decide what they allow on their aircraft at all and where on the aircraft you're allowed to have stuff. Some countries have laws that permit passengers to have certain items (medical equipment, for example) with them in the cabin, but unless there's a law that says you're allowed to have something in the cabin I don't think you should assume it will always be permitted.

Security screens are, for the most part, done by non-airline personnel. However, when I depart from Mexico for the US a significant number of passengers get pulled aside at the gate during boarding for bag checks to look for things that airline wants only in checked bags. The gate screeners have told me that's mainly loose lithium batteries.
2017-3-15
Use props
Eyesaround
lvl.1
Flight distance : 271010 ft
Chile

I flew from New York to Chile with the Mavic in the cabin. Remember batteries MUST go in carry on regardless of what you do with the drone!
2017-3-15
Use props
Eagle-i-AL
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3572106 ft
United States

Just got back from vacation today and had no issues with Mavic in carry-on + 3 additional batteries. Flew American Airlines one way and Jet Blue another way. Also had my Sherpa 100 Power Pack (98Wh) in my same carry on. As long as the batteries are below 100Wh they're allowed to be in your carry on (for AA & JetBlue at least).
2017-3-15
Use props
BayArea99
lvl.3
Flight distance : 197336 ft
United States

Checkout this YouTube video:

DJI Mavic Pro Drone On a Plane Ultimate How to..

2017-3-15
Use props
M Stuart K
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1267717 ft
  • >>>
United States

Oxygen Posted at 2017-3-14 12:12
I will fly with Emirates from Munich via Dubai to Thailand in December.
I found this on the emirates website:

Why would anyone want to check their drone?  It would be like checking your laptop or other expensive equipment including any camera gear.  You are asking for an issue with theft of property.   I never check any electronic equipment-period!
2017-3-15
Use props
raybanner
lvl.2
Flight distance : 440312 ft
Italy

M Stuart K Posted at 2017-3-15 17:50
Why would anyone want to check their drone?  It would be like checking your laptop or other expensive equipment including any camera gear.  You are asking for an issue with theft of property.   I never check any electronic equipment-period!

Yeah why would anyone, what do you do when they take your drone away from you at the security control in Dubai?
They sadly have this regulation. This is the only reason why i have to checkin my small backpack to take the Mavic with me. Otherwise i wouldnt checkin my small backpack because I always carry the tech stuff with me.
2017-3-15
Use props
zbyna
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Thanks all for your comments and very useful informations !!
2017-3-17
Use props
Morfey
New
Flight distance : 13412 ft
Russia

Hi, everybody.
I read about the airport of Dubai much.
To take with itself Mavic aboard or to hand over in baggage?
If to hand over in baggage as it is offered airline I am afraid of Mavic theft.
If to take with itself aboard in hand luggage can confiscate at the Dubai airport when checking baggage at change.
And still I read that at the Dubai airport there are problems with batteries from Mavic, and they will be confiscated at examination.
I fly in July through Dubai to Bangkok.   

P.S. The online translator is used.

Всем привет.
Много читал про аэропорт Дубая.
Брать с собой Mavic на борт или сдать в багаж?
Если сдать в багаж, как предписано авиакомпанией я опасаюсь кражи Mavic.
Если взять с собой на борт в ручной клади могут забрать в аэропорту Дубаи при проверке багажа при пересадке.
И еще читал что в аэропорту Дубаи возникают проблемы с батареями от Mavic, и их конфискуют при досмотре.
Лечу в июле через Дубай в Бангкок.   
2017-6-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules