Auto take off issue
12259 61 2017-3-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
EastyT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 970374 ft
United States

I tested the same thing today and had the same experience.  I checked the box for precision landing and the quad went up 20' as expected then went about 150' away.  Initiated return to home and it was about 8' off.  On the third attempt, it was so far off that I had to abort the landing by hitting cancel (red X) on the App display.  It stopped landing the immediately said returning to home again.  I tried cancel several times and it just kept trying to land.  I used the elevator and took it up about 30' and it immediately went back into landing mode.  I tried the pause button on the remote with the same effect.  Luckily I was still able to control the aircraft and move it to a safe spot and let it land.  The last few time the display kept saying that it was too close to the home point and that it was landing where it was.  After it landed, I moved it to a new spot and took off again manually.  The craft only got about 1' in the air and initiated auto landing again.  I tried this 2 more times with the same result.  I finally shut down the quad and the remote, rebooted my phone and it went back to normal.   I then tried what I have always done and did an auto takeoff without the precision box checked.  Moved slowly up to about 30' and then flew out to the same spot 150' away.  I initiated RTH and it returned and did a precision landing about 2" from the original spot.  I think the precision checkbox is broken, but the old way still works.  Got my heart beating for a while.  I've about had enough of this.
2017-3-17
Use props
Daroga
First Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

I also flew both iOS and Android versions yesterday and found that wind plays havoc with precision landing. In multiple attempts as the aircraft rose to 20-22 feet, the high ground winds blew the aircraft off the landing site as it climbed. On RTH, the aircraft was often blown far past the homepoint braking spot due to high tailwinds at 150-200 feet.  The resulting RTH and precision landing was very poor as a result.

Today I flew five flights from my back porch, protected from any significant wind. The takeoffs were straight up, slowly to 20-23 feet. On the first one, after it climbed to 22 feet, I manually climbed further to 35 feet because I was only about five feet laterally from the house and wanted to make sure it had a good recording. The remaining flights used only the automatic 20 foot climb and the last one was totally manual.  All were perfectly spot-on landings within inches from the takeoff point. And as EastyT points out the old methodology still works fine. I scared myself on one occasion as the aircraft descended to about 20 feet above my roof line before finally making the course correction over to the landing site/landing pad.  Patience proved that DJI has a good implementation....
2017-3-17
Use props
bmbk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5085 ft
Malaysia

Tried the preciously record takeoff point , i think its a great feature. When checked, the craft went to 6m and stay there.

But it would been greater if the app can notify when the precision landing point has been recorded. Because i am not sure how long i should wait. So one time i give a 10 seconds (worked) and 3 seconds (doesn't work)
2017-3-19
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-3-15 02:33
I have reported this to designated team for review.
If we need any further information, I'll let you know.

Any news on this, Mindy?
2017-4-5
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-4-5 20:06
Any news on this, Mindy?

It's probably the ultrasonic issue.
I'm not sure if OP have sent it in. I'll ask him again. Thank you.
2017-4-6
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-4-6 01:38
It's probably the ultrasonic issue.
I'm not sure if OP have sent it in. I'll ask him again. Thank you.

Ultrasonic issue? I'm talking about the problem with Precision Take-off point recording not functioning as it should because the height the feature takes you to isn't high enough for Precision Landing to properly operate. Should be 10m, according to the manual and our testing, but Precision Take-off point recording only records the point at 6m.

You can review the posts in this thread for more details and screen grabs from the iOS and Android apps.
2017-4-6
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Meters - Feet.  Wish we had only one standard, painful as it might be for a couple of generations.

For the app designers, I feel you pain.  It's easy to do the number conversions to the preferred units, but it's a completely different problem to convert the text descriptions, it's like multiple languages * 2.  I can see how the typos, missed unit translations, and other discrepancies happen.   

Further complicated by the fact a meter is actually 3.28 feet (not 3 feet that we usually approximate),  So 6 meters is actually 19.7 feet.
2017-4-6
Use props
Fernanditu
lvl.2

Peru

Hi guys, Im just writing to let you know that I tried to replicate the issue several times and I couldn't. It hovers at the right height every time.
2017-4-6
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

Fernanditu Posted at 2017-4-6 18:09
Hi guys, Im just writing to let you know that I tried to replicate the issue several times and I couldn't. It hovers at the right height every time.

The "right height" being what?
2017-4-6
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

I have found that if you intend to use RTH in windy conditions then it is better not to use the Precise takeoff. The reason being is that because the Mavic goes much higher in windy conditions, there is more chance that it will not record the exact takeoff point because of the wind. In windy conditions, the auto takeoff is only a few feet high and the Mavic tends to set a more accurate RTH point.
I would like to know which home point is used as I am advised of the home point being set before takeoff and then again after takeoff.
2017-4-6
Use props
Fernanditu
lvl.2

Peru

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-4-6 20:05
The "right height" being what?

1.2 meters
2017-4-8
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Australia

I would really like to know exactly what the Mavic is recording in the precise takeoff. I tried a number of RTHs today in windy conditions without using the Precise setting and each time, it landed within an 5cm of the takeoff point. How much more precise can you get?
2017-4-8
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

Maybe I'm misreading the manual, which states on pg. 15 (v1.4):

"Take off altitude must be greater than 10 meters."

The Precision Take-off point recording feature only takes the Mavic up 6m, which seemingly is not enough.

BUT...

Is the manual stating that the feature is only accurate at 10m altitude AGL or Sea level?

2017-4-9
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Singapore

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-4-8 22:34
I would really like to know exactly what the Mavic is recording in the precise takeoff. I tried a number of RTHs today in windy conditions without using the Precise setting and each time, it landed within an 5cm of the takeoff point. How much more precise can you get?

How exactly did you test this? Did you let it take off to 1.2m, and then you flew it horizontally from there? Or did you let it take-off to 1.2m, and then raise it the rest of the way to 10m to record the landing site before making any lateral movements?

A 10m takeoff is definitely the best way to get a precise landing. If you're getting very accurate landings without going to 10m, it could just be that you happen to be getting a very precise GPS lock.
2017-4-9
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Singapore

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-4-6 21:24
I have found that if you intend to use RTH in windy conditions then it is better not to use the Precise takeoff. The reason being is that because the Mavic goes much higher in windy conditions, there is more chance that it will not record the exact takeoff point because of the wind. In windy conditions, the auto takeoff is only a few feet high and the Mavic tends to set a more accurate RTH point.
I would like to know which home point is used as I am advised of the home point being set before takeoff and then again after takeoff.

"I would like to know which home point is used as I am advised of the home point being set before takeoff and then again after takeoff."

The Mavic will always use the most recently set Home Point.
2017-4-9
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

Oh, sorry, forgot what your original post was all about. Now I'm fixated on this Precision Record feature.  ;)
2017-4-9
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Singapore

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-4-8 22:34

Further to my previous post, when the Mavic is descending at the end of the RTH, you'll know whether or not the landing site was precisely recorded, because the app shows a prompt saying that it's performing a Precision Landing (and sometimes you'll see it say that it's adjusting position). If you don't see that, then that means it wasn't able to precisely record the landing site at takeoff.
2017-4-9
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Australia

Jason Lane Posted at 2017-4-9 08:01
How exactly did you test this? Did you let it take off to 1.2m, and then you flew it horizontally from there? Or did you let it take-off to 1.2m, and then raise it the rest of the way to 10m to record the landing site before making any lateral movements?

A 10m takeoff is definitely the best way to get a precise landing. If you're getting very accurate landings without going to 10m, it could just be that you happen to be getting a very precise GPS lock.

I have always had a very accurate landing using RTH. I normally let the drone rise to the 1.2mts tell me it has recorded the home position and then just fly away. Sometimes it is horizontal then I climb, sometimes I climb to different heights and then fly away. The departure is never the same but the RTH landing is always accurate. What it does every time is it returns to approximately above the landing point at 30 mts, then descends. At about 1.5mts it will adjust itself, particularly if there is wind, then it will start to descend and at about half a metre it will make any final adjustment then land.
This is my second Mavic as the first one was replaced through a faulty gimbal but it was just as accurate.
2017-4-9
Use props
djiuser_kXU7UqGfxZpN
New

Philippines

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-3-14 14:20
As one of the preconditions for Precision Landing the manual says:

- Aircraft must take off vertically. Take off altitude must be greater than 10 meters.

problem is, if wont initiate a take off if you dont tick the checkbox option.. My mavic air did not hover 1.2M yesterday and the previous routine flights. After I initiate the auto take off on the DJI Go4 app it rises up to the air more than 20 ft, so i need to manually take over the stick to land it down because the rotor sounds that the aircraft wants to get more altitude from the way its flying
2020-5-11
Use props
djiuser_kXU7UqGfxZpN
New

Philippines

problem is, if wont initiate a take off if you dont tick the checkbox option.. My mavic air did not hover 1.2M yesterday and the previous routine flights. After I initiate the auto take off on the DJI Go4 app it rises up to the air more than 20 ft, so i need to manually take over the stick to land it down because the rotor sounds that the aircraft wants to get more altitude the way it was behaving and my instinct is telling me something's not right, it should hover first that's whar it's supposed to do when I first used it.
2020-5-11
Use props
djiuser_VS6vDbTOojVa
New
Flight distance : 2139 ft

United States

My mini 3 will not continue to hover at all when I use the automatic take off function.  It will climb to 2.5 meters then the propellers stop, the dron flips over on itself and crashes fo ground. It did this on my very first flight ?
2023-9-20
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

djiuser_VS6vDbTOojVa Posted at 9-20 07:46
My mini 3 will not continue to hover at all when I use the automatic take off function.  It will climb to 2.5 meters then the propellers stop, the dron flips over on itself and crashes fo ground. It did this on my very first flight ?

Hello there. I apologize for the inconvenience. Was there any error message or warnings before you tried taking off? Have a great day.
2023-10-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules