yet another compass/interference problem
1612 12 2017-3-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
standrews
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4393 ft

Canada

I have read EVERY thread about this.  Lots of similar problems, and have followed all the steps.

Phantom 3 standard. latest firmware, and lates dhi go app, and latest android software on a G5 phone. It is minus 3 degrees celsius today. Have flown in minus 25 degrees no problem.

I live in the country, surrounded by nothing. Have been flying here for months.
Recently had a mild collision, no damage visible.  2 feet off the ground, touched a plastic snow fence.

now getting constant message "strong magnetic interference" and the motors will not start up.  GPS errors, saying unavailable.  
restarted everything. won't start up.

brought in to the house.  ( it is still cold) did the IMU calibrate, even though it said it didn't need it)
there ARE numbers showing up on the compass line. They move when I rotate the craft.

Have run the compass calibrate 20 times, and will not complete.

Once inside for a bit, the GPS said "ok" so I ran back outside, it flew fine for 1 minute, then the red alert came on again, strong magnetic interference. auto RTH initiated.

No belt, no watch, no phone, no cell tower, no car, none of thos standard "do you have, things"  I am surrounded by nothing but snow, and empty farm fields and my house.

Not sure how to proceed now. Any advice is much apreciated.  So sad, been having tremendous fun with it, and the kids were out skating on a frozen spring melt pond today in the middle of a hay field, wanted to take some vids.
2017-3-14
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

Have you looked at your log files from last fly?
If not use this  Phantomhelp log viewer
2017-3-14
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

You say it will not complete the compass calibration, so that seems like a like reason for the problem. I realise you are not near any metal, but are you perhaps performing the calibration while standing on concrete? Or, are you launching from a concrete path or such?

Often the compas does not calibrate because you need to actually rotate it through more than just 360 degrees.
2017-3-14
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

The only correlation that I see is the minor incident you had with the fence. It could be that the compass could have been jumbled a bit. You could try checking the physical connections  to the compass to make sure it's secure.
2017-3-14
Use props
standrews
lvl.1

Canada

G_Sig Posted at 2017-3-14 17:47
Have you looked at your log files from last fly?
If not use this  Phantomhelp log viewer

not sure if I screwed it up or not, playing with the app, but the only log files are old ones from good flights a month or so back.   There were only 2 listed, is that normal, or should every flight be there?
2017-3-15
Use props
standrews
lvl.1

Canada

i was launching from different parts of the yard, mostly gravel, but covered in a foot of snow and ice.
I will try going past 360 degrees.
Can anyone share how to check the cabling on the compass, I searched the forum, and can't find it.
If it looks good, is the next step to call for a service ticket?  I bought this thing used, and din't pay very much a year ago. It's been great, but is it worth spending money to repair?
2017-3-15
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Compass calibration ... I ended up rotating over 380 degrees to get it to register ....

There is no problem to go well past 360 degrees ....

Nigel
2017-3-15
Use props
Maxxpsoft
lvl.3
Flight distance : 380594 ft
United States

standrews Posted at 2017-3-15 10:13
i was launching from different parts of the yard, mostly gravel, but covered in a foot of snow and ice.
I will try going past 360 degrees.
Can anyone share how to check the cabling on the compass, I searched the forum, and can't find it.

Compass calibration  = Out in the yard away from everything like your list said above no watch, belt buckle and such. Rotate more than the 360 till you see the lights change. Hold other way and do again
I decided to replace my compass which meant I bought the legs with it included. I am no longer getting error

hope that helps
2017-3-15
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Iceland

Maxxpsoft Posted at 2017-3-15 15:42
Compass calibration  = Out in the yard away from everything like your list said above no watch, belt buckle and such. Rotate more than the 360 till you see the lights change. Hold other way and do again
I decided to replace my compass which meant I bought the legs with it included. I am no longer getting error

I also ended changing the compass and newer had that error after that.
You can see the numbers for the compass in Advanced setting_Sensor State.
If you have that on your screen and walk around with the bird you can see if it changes much.
2017-3-15
Use props
standrews
lvl.1

Canada

interesting update.... Tried again last night, horizontal calibrate, lights turned green. Vertical rotate, they turned yellow. Good to go. Flew, about a minute, and the errors returned.  Went crazy. Landed. Tried calibrate again, past 180 degrees, and red flashing every time.
Strange, that it will fly for a moment or two.  I guess it's time for the compass replacement. Did you guys buy on the DJI store, or where is the best place for parts?
Here is the log from last night. LOTS of errors.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/HVL6DOTRC6EVCEDIX32A/      does this work? Not sure how else to share it.  Thanks for the advice, and help. Much appreciated.
2017-3-16
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

Compass or antenna damaged.   Replace.
I upgraded to a Glonass GPS with integrated Compass.   Can fly far out with no issues now.  15-17 Sats common.
2017-3-16
Use props
standrews
lvl.1

Canada

anybody ever buy parts on ebay? the DJI store will not sell it.
What kind of glue or silicone is holding in the compass?
thanks
2017-3-16
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Iceland

standrews Posted at 2017-3-16 09:10
anybody ever buy parts on ebay? the DJI store will not sell it.
What kind of glue or silicone is holding in the compass?
thanks

You don't need any glue This is the part.
2017-3-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules