Upgrading firmware
593 5 2017-3-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jmarker
lvl.2
Flight distance : 67310 ft

United States

Since the new update isnt showing great results. I havent updated, do i ever have to update since the firmware im running is running gine with my p4p? At what point will i have to update if ever?
2017-3-14
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

To update or not update is always your call, and you can always view it as a risk management exercise. If the features the Release Note says have been added are desirable for you, then you may choose to take a risk that the update is sound and go for it. However, I've yet to see a Release Note which advises what has been fixed (rather than added), so you don't ever know what you're missing in that respect. When in doubt, leave the update for a week and see what others report.

Me? My P4P doesn't experience most to the issues you read about on this forum, so I'll upgrade whenever a new firmware update is made available. Accordingly, my P4P is updated to the new firmware and flying perfectly.
2017-3-14
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Like Punchbuggy mentioned, it's up to you but you aren't forced to update either the firmware or the app (unless you left the latter to automatic update). The only instances would be if you want a new feature that's released in said update.
2017-3-14
Use props
Jmarker
lvl.2
Flight distance : 67310 ft

United States

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-3-14 18:04
To update or not update is always your call, and you can always view it as a risk management exercise. If the features the Release Note says have been added are desirable for you, then you may choose to take a risk that the update is sound and go for it. However, I've yet to see a Release Note which advises what has been fixed (rather than added), so you don't ever know what you're missing in that respect. When in doubt, leave the update for a week and see what others report.

Me? My P4P doesn't experience most to the issues you read about on this forum, so I'll upgrade whenever a new firmware update is made available. Accordingly, my P4P is updated to the new firmware and flying perfectly.

Thanks fir the info. This would be my first update since having the Drone so I'm bit sure if mine reacts well to the updates. Im leaving it for now
2017-3-15
Use props
InforGuy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 165774 ft
United States

I just learned the hard way to do more research and ask questions prior to applying an update.  I am a commercial operator and had a certain NFZ unlocked so I could fly there.  In the release notes "Updated No-Fly Zone Management" is mentioned.  What the release notes should have said is "if you are unlocked to fly in a NFZ and you apply this update, it will break that feature and you will lose $$ until we release the next update."
2017-3-15
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Jmarker Posted at 2017-3-15 10:48
Thanks fir the info. This would be my first update since having the Drone so I'm bit sure if mine reacts well to the updates. Im leaving it for now

Well, How you update could make a diference too, in my view. Others will have their own views based on their own experience, but for me I get 100% success with all updates if I:

1. Update via Assistant 2 on my PC (latest version is V1.1.0) - it's a direct connection to the craft, whereas upgrading via the RC relies on the integrity of your WiFi connection.
2. Update the craft when it's cool - flashing firmware to a chip is never advisable when the chip is warm. To give it the best chance, I start the app and then turn the craft on (with a fully-charged battery). As soon as the app detects the connection and it can see the craft, I select the latest firmware and start the update process.
3. Once completed, reboot the craft and calibrate the VPS afresh, then do a gimbal calibration. I won't calibrate the IMU or compass unless the app says it wants it.
2017-3-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules