Mavic Pro ND Filters: Yes or No?
19496 30 2017-3-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Yhadar
lvl.3
Israel

Hey guys,
I was wondering if the Mavic Pro ND filters are really needed. What do they do that adding shutter speed wont? I've heard many people say it's a must have but I've heard the same amount of people saying the opposite. Plus, ND filters aren't cheap... so what do you say?

Thanks,
Yhadar
2017-3-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

For video yes you need ND filters, ND8,ND 16, ND 32.
2017-3-15
Use props
Yhadar
lvl.3
Israel

Even for non-professional work?
2017-3-15
Use props
Yhadar
lvl.3
Israel

What change does it do for the video?
2017-3-15
Use props
Yhadar
lvl.3
Israel

How do the ND filters affect the video?
2017-3-15
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Yhadar Posted at 2017-3-15 12:37

Video guys say you want a shutter speed to be twice that of your frame rate for cinematic quality, so, 30fps = 60/sec shutter is ideal. To get that shutter speed, you need to lower the light hitting the sensor, thus, ND filtering.
2017-3-15
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.3
Flight distance : 451335 ft
United States

Yhadar Posted at 2017-3-15 12:11
Even for non-professional work?

personal decision. If you are just goofing around for fun, no you dont NEED it. Not at all.
But if you are wanting to get better visual quality footage, then most persons go with a ND filter
2017-3-15
Use props
NoSale
lvl.3
Flight distance : 460958 ft
United States

For video, it allows you to incorporate slower shutter speeds that will result in enough motion blur to give a more cinematic appearance.  You can't reduce shutter speed without affecting ISO significantly without ND filters.

If you don't care about motion blur to make movement more cinematic, then I would say you don't need ND.  But every article I've read about videography is that one of the first accessories to get are ND filters.

I currently don't have ND filters, but am in the market to add them to my accessories.  When I shoot video on sunny days (as well as cloudy days), the shutter speed is usually at least 320, if not 1600.  This causes the image to be extremely sharp and defined on a frame by frame basis.  By cutting down the shutter speed to 2x fps (the rule of thumb), you get a much more fluid, natural level of motion in video.  There are comparisons on the internet if you do a google search.  

On another note, ND filters can also be useful with still photography, but on a much more limited basis.  As an example, ND filters are most often used to get that motion effect on waterfalls and water flowing over rocks in a stream.

Now, the question I have been trying to resolve is the necessity for polarized filters.  PolarPro is the only vendor currently offering a combination of PL/ND.  These filters will filter out polarized light (light coming from a light source at a 90 degree angle to the camera lens), and are circular; meaning, to get the optimal amount of polarizing filter, you must rotate the filter on the camera lens.  This can be fine tuned for the light from the position on takeoff, but once in flight, you have no ability to rotate the filter as the camera lens rotates and pivots.  Possibly a greater advantage to a polarized ND filter is saturation of color.  Some want to address these matters through the lens, while others are capable of addressing in post.

I believe ND filters are a good accessory to have, for any level of videography, at least from a learning perspective.  But if all you want is just to capture video while in flight, ND may not be as relevant.  

I hope this helps.........
2017-3-15
Use props
Petroboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3681 ft
Canada

NoSale Posted at 2017-3-15 12:50
For video, it allows you to incorporate slower shutter speeds that will result in enough motion blur to give a more cinematic appearance.  You can't reduce shutter speed without affecting ISO significantly without ND filters.

If you don't care about motion blur to make movement more cinematic, then I would say you don't need ND.  But every article I've read about videography is that one of the first accessories to get are ND filters.

Excellent, clear summary.  Thanks.
2017-3-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Yhadar Posted at 2017-3-15 12:12
What change does it do for the video?

When recording videos, we’re restricted to a single shutter speed and while you can adjust the aperture, (Only in P4 pro) you’re unlikely to want to do that whilst recording. Also, if you want to shoot at a wide aperture (only in p4pro) to create a shallow depth of field, you’ll struggle with overexposed scenes when in bright light. Using an ND filter makes it possible to maintain your chosen aperture settings, while still reducing the amount of light passing through the lens.

Many landscape photographers also make good use out of ND filters.

But if none of above is of any use to you , just use auto if that's ok with you"..
2017-3-15
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-3-15 13:22
When recording videos, we’re restricted to a single shutter speed and while you can adjust the aperture, (Only in P4 pro) you’re unlikely to want to do that whilst recording. Also, if you want to shoot at a wide aperture (only in p4pro) to create a shallow depth of field, you’ll struggle with overexposed scenes when in bright light. Using an ND filter makes it possible to maintain your chosen aperture settings, while still reducing the amount of light passing through the lens.

Many landscape photographers also make good use out of ND filters.

The mavic is fixed think f/2.8. But what hallmark said is how it works. I found testing on mavic, real testing you don't need double the frame rate to get acceptably smooth footage. Using nd filters from pgy at least, the footage looses detail as you hang around a shutter speed of 100.

It's really more in how you film than anything. If your shutter is high, you can keep yaw low and get away with it. Experiment around and see. I've had some real shatty footage using nd.

The cpl filter is pretty nice though. I'll definitely use that on lakes or ocean if possible. Saturation is better too.

*edit Shouldnt post don't buy them, I'm on older firmware, and don't use dlog, so those could be things you'd use with nd filters.
2017-3-15
Use props
Yhadar
lvl.3
Israel

Yah but is it worth it? For non-professional work but for the best results?
2017-3-15
Use props
Safari
lvl.4
Flight distance : 67703 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

Yhadar Posted at 2017-3-15 23:21
Yah but is it worth it? For non-professional work but for the best results?

For some it's worth it even for non professional footage, for others not. It just depends what you want to achieve.
It's useful as well in videography as in photography.
Again it just depends what you want to achieve.
Best would be to buy a book about that subject and learn a bit from it
2017-3-15
Use props
devGOD
lvl.3
Flight distance : 200577 ft
United States

You really do not need an ND Filter... its all preference you can adjust in post.  Besides the Mavic gimbal setup really want not built for filters. it more of a pain to take off and put on than anything. I own the Mavic ND Filters (one cracked while removing) and I can count how many times i've launched under cloudy sky and then have to land to switch cause the direction I'm flying in is clear and sunny. J

Just look at all the new videos taken without an ND filters. not needed.
2017-3-16
Use props
fans88aa0eef
lvl.1
Flight distance : 22188 ft
Australia

I'm a pro videographer here, and I think even for non-pros you would probably want to get ND filters. On a bright sunny day you'll find your footage jittery to the point where you'll wonder why you bought a $1000 drone and didn't get a cheap parrot. To make the most of your footage you should get an ND filter set.

PS. Don't get DJI's filter set. One of them broke the first time I put them on the Mavic.
2017-3-16
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

devGOD Posted at 2017-3-16 01:44
You really do not need an ND Filter... its all preference you can adjust in post.  Besides the Mavic gimbal setup really want not built for filters. it more of a pain to take off and put on than anything. I own the Mavic ND Filters (one cracked while removing) and I can count how many times i've launched under cloudy sky and then have to land to switch cause the direction I'm flying in is clear and sunny. J

Just look at all the new videos taken without an ND filters. not needed.

Besides the Mavic gimbal setup really want not built for filters.

Unfortunately I'd have to agree that the Mavic's filter situation is less than ideal: when installing or removing the DJI filters I'm concerned about breaking the filter, while with the Tacos I'm worried about damaging the gimbal. And based on comments from Polar Pro it appears that the size of the cameras shipped with the Mavic varies enough to be problematic for them.

Having a small and lightweight camera and gimbal is great for compactness and flight time but I guess the flip side is that it tends to be fragile and is difficult to manufacture to exact specifications. Still, I hope that DJI can figure out a way to produce a more robust gimbal and camera or at least design it in such a way that filters can be installed and removed without it always feeling like I'm performing brain surgery on a mouse.
2017-3-16
Use props
Flyboyz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 142615 ft
Singapore

I do not have any ND filter yet but would like to get one esp i am shooting over the seas on a bright sunny day which i found the color are bit too bright at times...
2017-3-16
Use props
NoSale
lvl.3
Flight distance : 460958 ft
United States

fans88aa0eef Posted at 2017-3-16 04:30
I'm a pro videographer here, and I think even for non-pros you would probably want to get ND filters. On a bright sunny day you'll find your footage jittery to the point where you'll wonder why you bought a $1000 drone and didn't get a cheap parrot. To make the most of your footage you should get an ND filter set.

PS. Don't get DJI's filter set. One of them broke the first time I put them on the Mavic.

As a professional, what is your opinion on combined PL/ND filters from the perspective of adding color saturation simultaneously to lowering shutter speed?
I've yet to start color grading, and am aware that this can be accomplished in post, but since I'm still going straight from the SD card to playback with no real post work, is there sufficient color saturation by using a PL/ND filter.  Or is it a minimal or negative benefit to an ND filter only?.....
2017-3-16
Use props
GabrielHa
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1480 ft
Norway

Im using the Cinema Series Vivid which are a set of polarizing filters from PolarPro. Its really night and day i feel but its not like you will never color grade with these on. I had one day where it was perfect light and sunny outside where the footage was really perfect and i didnt have to color grade at all. But another day where it was grey and cloudy i had to do color grading. I would definetely recommend it for the Mavic without a doubt.  Wish i had some examples but i can post this weekend if you still wondering.
2017-3-16
Use props
Yhadar
lvl.3
Israel

I understand you can buy filters as only one. what ND filter is most needed? Or should you buy a 3 set. Are there examples for good ND filters that won't affect the gimbal initialisation?
2017-3-16
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Yhadar Posted at 2017-3-16 07:01
I understand you can buy filters as only one. what ND filter is most needed? Or should you buy a 3 set. Are there examples for good ND filters that won't affect the gimbal initialisation?

In my opinion the Taco RC 4-pack is the best value (which may be why it's often out of stock), and I've never had any gimbal initialization trouble with the Tacos. I splurged a little on the 6-pack to get the ND64, but you may or may not want to. I've also heard good things about the Polar Pros and by all accounts their support is outstanding. If you want polarized then Polar Pro is currently your only option, though Taco has repeatedly said that theirs are in the works and will be available in the near future.
2017-3-16
Use props
daBKLYNdoorman
lvl.1
United States

Why can't you just lower the ISO to lower the level of light in the image?
Unless you are flying directly into the sun why would you still need less light beyond the lowest ISO setting?
2017-3-16
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
United States

daBKLYNdoorman Posted at 2017-3-16 13:05
Why can't you just lower the ISO to lower the level of light in the image?
Unless you are flying directly into the sun why would you still need less light beyond the lowest ISO setting?

Mainly shoot at 100 iso unless it's real dark. But you see, this guys video is honest using the best filters too. Watch the 60 shutter speed, look at what happens to the trees especially outside of dlog. Look at 2500 shutter speed.

2017-3-16
Use props
Boenaparte
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1089393 ft
Hong Kong

thehippoz Posted at 2017-3-16 16:47
Mainly shoot at 100 iso unless it's real dark. But you see, this guys video is honest using the best filters too. Watch the 60 shutter speed, look at what happens to the trees especially outside of dlog. Look at 2500 shutter speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU7DPbimBd8

Thank you really good video to compare, but as I just bought the polarpro PL/ND filter and I have not used it since the weather has been horrible lately, I was surprise in your video to see that the biggest difference was actually in the change between none and Cinema for the image...
2017-3-16
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
United States

Boenaparte Posted at 2017-3-16 19:04
Thank you really good video to compare, but as I just bought the polarpro PL/ND filter and I have not used it since the weather has been horrible lately, I was surprise in your video to see that the biggest difference was actually in the change between none and Cinema for the image...

Yeah, I shoot none too. There's a little post work using none, but it looks decent on it's own really. The cpl filter by itself keeps the shutter high and can help with some of the glare off water. You really do lose detail and the video looks like shot on a potato at 60 shutter. I thought might just be me because run older firmware.

Check this guys video out at 9:17

I know which one looks better. The high shutter all the way, but it comes with jerky if your not mindful of motion.

This is all from opinion on tests done on my end. I have nd4-32 here.
2017-3-16
Use props
FrequentFlyer
lvl.4
United States

Im looking to purchase the DJI filters, but i need to get rid of my Skyreat filters. I have a 4 pack I paid $40 for them.

"The CP and PL filters help reduce glare, and greatly increase color saturation, while the ND filters reduce the shutter speed, giving you a smoother finished product within the video realm.the HD glass filters are known for their razor-sharp quality.

Improving polarization on cloudy days, and just generally helping out with any lighting condition, this accessory pack is potentially one of the most worthwhile things you could ever purchase for your new Mavic Pro.

Package including:
1x CPL Filter
1x ND2 Filter
1x ND4 Filter
1x ND8 Filter"
2017-3-17
Use props
Chole
lvl.2

United States

I am using Freewell filters they work pretty good no stress on gimbal & coating on the filter reduces the flare as well
2017-3-17
Use props
fans73748f85
lvl.3

China

SKYREAT Filters Works great on the Mavic, powering on with no issues.
skyreat.jpg
2017-3-22
Use props
Tharg (from the
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

Yhadar Posted at 2017-3-15 12:37

Try Google!
2017-3-23
Use props
flyingcooldudea
lvl.1
Flight distance : 174892 ft
Finland

Most of utube watchers doesnt even  see difference between filtered / non filtered videos..but everyone is hyping about filters equal to  business grows )
2018-9-20
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10318117 ft
Canada

I purchased NEEWER ND filters and I am very satisfied with them, the purchased price was somewhat lower than others on the market but as far as I'm concerned they do the job.
2018-9-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules