Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Major gimbal tilt going on
1581 20 2017-3-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans94ff69bf
lvl.2
Flight distance : 736033 ft
United States

DJI, is there anything I can do to fix this issue (short of sending in for warranty repair)? I assure you, I am NOT in FPV mode.  This terrible gimbal tilt happens whenever I pan.  I really need a solution! Thanks

2017-3-15
Use props
RodneyDangerous
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-3-15
Use props
st pauli
lvl.4

United States

I sent a P4 in multiple times and gimbal tilt was never corrected. Then bought a P4 Pro and still same problem like yours.

Eh, hope you have better luck resolving.
2017-3-15
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Yeah, I have that issue with my P4, and did with my P4P until the latest firmware upgrade - been straight since.

My obvious question is: have you done a gimbal calibration? If so, once you notice that the horizon isn't level, try to yaw left 360 degrees and let it hover for a few seconds to see it the gimbal then levels itself. Sounds odd, but that seems to resolve the issue on my P4 when it happens. From what I'm seeing with mine, it's almost like gimbal 'smarts' doesn't realise it needs to level the gimbal sometimes, so an obvious action sometimes is required to give it a bit of a prod. I hope that makes sense...
2017-3-15
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Please try to do the IMU calibration on a complete flat surface then do the gimbal calibration.
It's probably a hardware issue.
2017-3-15
Use props
RodneyDangerous
Banned

United States

2017-3-15
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Which firmware versions are you currently running? Did you notice this right out of the box, or right after a firmware update or hard landing?
2017-3-15
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

RodneyDangerous Posted at 2017-3-15 18:59
As I said - they will tell you to do an IMU and gimbal calibration. Neither will help. Then they will tell you to send it in. Based on all the reports, you will most likely get a refurbished unit back (with a different serial number) and the problem will remain, if not be worse.

An IMU/gimbal calibration has worked for some. The successfulness of this is dependent on when this started to occur. Repairs or replacements (whether new or built from new parts) are determined by the repair technicians on a case by case basis.
2017-3-15
Use props
fans94ff69bf
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-3-15 20:26
Which firmware versions are you currently running? Did you notice this right out of the box, or right after a firmware update or hard landing?

No crashes or hard landings. Always hand catch. Seems to actually be worse after the most recent firmware update, which I have done, but it was definitely there before that too.  I was hoping the firmware update would fix it, but no dice
2017-3-16
Use props
fans94ff69bf
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-3-15 20:29
An IMU/gimbal calibration has worked for some. The successfulness of this is dependent on when this started to occur. Repairs or replacements (whether new or built from new parts) are determined by the repair technicians on a case by case basis.

I've done an IMU calibration since updating firmware.  I will do it again as well as gimbal calibration and see if there's any change.
2017-3-16
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

fans94ff69bf Posted at 2017-3-16 09:13
I've done an IMU calibration since updating firmware.  I will do it again as well as gimbal calibration and see if there's any change.

Please keep me posted.
2017-3-16
Use props
UltraDan
lvl.2
United Kingdom

This gimball tilt issue is awful. Surely a class a ton lawsuit is on the cards? I mean they are selling products by the truckload that are faulty beyond repair?
2017-3-16
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

UltraDan Posted at 2017-3-16 14:43
This gimball tilt issue is awful. Surely a class a ton lawsuit is on the cards? I mean they are selling products by the truckload that are faulty beyond repair?

Well, I don't have this issue to the extent the op has reported, so let's not be tempted to over-generalise. And I haven't noted a horizon leveling issue on my P4P since the latest update. My P4 still has the issue, but I've found if I do a 360 degree yaw left and let it hover for a couple of seconds, the gimbal will decide to correct itself - or you can correct the horizon level using C2 or the 'Adjust Gimbal roll' function in GO, of course.

The real question is why are the craft so variable? Some don't have this issue, some have it slightly, but others have it like the op. Why? With the P4P we did have an issue with some, where gimbal initialisation couldn't complete if the camera was caught on something (grass, ribbon cable, etc), and then perhaps any amount of gimbal correction after that would be ineffective? So many variables.

My best suggestion is to:
Place the P4P on a clean, flat surface next to PC;
Use Assistant 2 V1.1.0 to refresh the craft firmware to the latest level (but do that while the craft is cool - power up while app is waiting to connect, and start refresh immediately once the craft has finished initialising);
Do a VPS calibration; and then
Use GO to perform a gimbal calibration.

Prior to doing the latter, you could also reset to factory settings to be sure (although I need to remind myself how to do that). Oh, and I always update via PC, and not via app and RC, as with the PC it's a direct connection, while the RC and wifi introduces another link in the process.

[Edit] and I only do an IMU and/or compass calibration after upgrade if the app says it needs it. If it doesn't ask for it, I leave them alone (but I will check the sensor indicators are green in GO).
2017-3-16
Use props
UltraDan
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Ahhhhhh the old "do a re-calibrarion" advice .... on a £1700 drone labelled as "Pro"
2017-3-16
Use props
fans1ab5dd9f
New
Brazil

EXACTLY SAME PROBLEM HERE... I guess we have defective models.. end of story! my last try will be factory reset/firmare downgrade using assistant DJI, if that is possible... if after that the problem continues... end of story, this is a defective model and I will sent it back!
2017-3-17
Use props
DRONEDADDY8299
New
Flight distance : 533537 ft
United States

I also have this  gimbal tilt issue. It's quite HORRIBLE to say the least. My P4Pro has had this issue since out of the box. My p4 had the issue, so i got rid of that and i purchased p4pro. P4pro had the same issue, so i sent that p4pro back and bought ANOTHER p4pro... STILL same issue! I have done SEVERAL IMU and Gimbal Calibrations to no avail. This isn't getting any better with firmware updates. In my opinion, DJI needs to worry more about making these outrageously overpriced drones work CORRECTLY rather than keep adding more and more features to the drones when they don't even do the MOST IMPORTANT thing that they are designed to do correctly! Can't even keep the camera Level!!! These drones are supposed to be PROFESSIONAL grade. I'm REALLY hoping that this is going to be a PRIORITY for the upcoming firmware update! And I'm not going to send my BRAND NEW P4PRO in for repair just to go WEEKS without it, receive a refurb or get the same one back without the issue being corrected.... THIS IS DEFINITELY A SOFTWARE(Firmware) issue, and needs to be a PRIORITY! PLEASE DJI, get this corrected because I'm beginning to lose faith!!!
2017-3-17
Use props
RodneyDangerous
Banned

United States

2017-3-18
Use props
AerialVisionPro
lvl.2
United States

So I finally decided to do as perfect of an IMU calibration and gimbal calibration as is humanly possible (without seriously expensive equipment that is).

Today, I'm happy to report that I think I found a fix (at least it worked for me). I would like to do some more testing before I emphatically say my issue is gone, but today when I flew, it was a million times better. Some of you may have heard of this method, but I went extreme and was super careful to get a perfect IMU and gimbal calibration. Here's what I did.

1. Went to Lowes and got a 18" x 18" pane of glass (probably could have been a little smaller too, but it worked). Also got a bubble level and a mini torpedo level.
2. Still have cold nights here, so set the drone outside for a few minutes to get it cold before IMU calibration.
3. With drone still off, I balanced my pane of glass on top of the 4 motors and set my bubble level on it.
4. Used playing cards under the landing gear to get a perfect center on the bubble level. Also checked with torpedo level for good measure.
5. Removed the glass pane without touching the drone, and placed it on the ground.
6. Again used my levelers to get the pane of glass perfectly level on the ground (if your house is like mine, it's nearly impossible to find any table or floor that is 100% perfectly level).
7. Turned on drone and immediately began IMU calibration. Kept drone in place thru step 1 of calibration.
8. Then I used my level pane of glass on the floor for steps 2 thru 6 of IMU calibration.
9. After that was done, I put the drone back on the floor and glass back on top of motors. Leveled it again using bubble leveler and playing cards.
10. Gimbal auto-calibration.
11. Flew again this morning, and my gimbal was remarkably better. It was level, and even more importantly than that, it did not tilt and sway as I yawed the bird.

I still want to fly a few more times before I say it's definitely fixed, but I was very happy with today's flight compared to last time I flew. I hope this info helps you guys with the same issue!
2017-3-22
Use props
AerialVisionPro
lvl.2
United States

However, I'm still having a separate issue, and that is gimbal VIBRATION when flying backwards.  I only get this issue when flying backwards.  I did the exact same shot, but flying forwards, and the gimbal is fine.  See video below of my issue.
2017-3-22
Use props
L N
lvl.1

Estonia

I have 5th P4P on my desk and they all have tilt problem and they all have gimbal problems. In past I have own many stabilisers (alexmos, storm32....) and what I understand, when you have problem with gimbal balancing or vibration (what can cause out balance) you cant get never good IMU calibration. The problem with P4P starts that you calibrate drone with working gimbal motors, but wen you have problems with gimbal and when its vibrating even litlebit, like my last P4P, then you cant get good calibration. Try to touch very carefully working gimbal yaw (uper) motor, and when you feel small vibration vibration then you have problem.
I reali want to see when someone flys his P4P left and right in P mode full trotle like 10s. and horisont stays level. I haven't seen it yet.
There is problems in hardware but I think in software to. When you fly and filming and then switch to photo mode and then back to video, then tilt problem go's worse.
2017-3-22
Use props
Snowwolfwarrior
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1064780 ft
United Kingdom

My new replacement p4p was fine, no gimbal tilt, then I done a firmware update a few weeks ago and now have the tilted horizon issue, as it was fine before the update I guess it will get corrected when a new update is available to cure the problem, I will not be sending it back, that is for sure!
2017-3-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules