Folded Mavic's arms magnetize rear compass
2244 15 2017-3-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
b0n3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21083 ft
United Kingdom

As we know Mavic has two compasses and one of them in the rear side of the Mavic.
Also quite known fact that the motors contains a magnets inside. When the front Mavic's arms are folded the motors located quite close to the rear compass and as the result we have an influence of the motor's magnets to the rear compass. Does it mean that the long time Folded storage of the Mavic is not recommended? Cause in this case the motor's magnets will be magnetize the rear compass, right? And in the future the rear compass will be work incorrect.  DJI please comment this situation.

7XH3plvP_1Y.jpg kV9zX1TNoIk.jpg anUpiTafKtU.jpg
2017-3-16
Use props
Rusty Iron
lvl.3
Australia

Kinda glad now I made my own case.....

My 17" laptop is underneath.

IMG_0977.JPG
2017-3-16
Use props
travelrikk
First Officer
Flight distance : 21877946 ft
  • >>>
Malta

I got one of those cheap $20 backpacks from ebay similar to this case above that allows me to store my mavic unfolded, really glad I did now. Great post.

ebay link for anyone interested
2017-3-16
Use props
GSI_IRE
lvl.3
Flight distance : 121460 ft
Ireland

travelrikk Posted at 2017-3-16 01:09
I got one of those cheap $20 backpacks from ebay similar to this case above that allows me to store my mavic unfolded, really glad I did now. Great post.

replying to subscribe... interested to see how this thread pans out.
2017-3-16
Use props
Nikon 1
lvl.4
United States

Thanks!  This is really a valuable thread for ALL Mavic pilots.  I'm very interested to see what DJI says about this.
2017-3-16
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

That's the advantage of having two compasses: if one has a significant deviation for whatever reason the firmware will detect it and prompt you to perform a compass calibration.
2017-3-16
Use props
travelrikk
First Officer
  • >>>
Malta

GSI_IRE Posted at 2017-3-16 02:01
replying to subscribe... interested to see how this thread pans out.

Will let you know once I receive it. Only downside to the bag is I probably won't be able to carry camera equipment with it too.
2017-3-16
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 231217 ft
United States

b0n3,

Why did you take your Mavic apart ???? as far as I know your last pic is showing the GPS receiver and your theory for the magnets in the motor permanently affecting the Mavic's compass does not matter, because a compass needle is magnetized so it does point NORTH ( We don't fly the Mavic with the arms folded) This I believe is done on purpose for when we do a IMU calibration to make sure the compass is operating correctly ex. Global North apposed to magnetism in the motors creating a North reading for the IMU calibration, So when the Mavic is in normal operation ( Flying Mode ) any magnetic field stronger then what was calibrated gets interpreted as MAGNETIC INTERFERANCE ------ Sorry if I sounded rude , The only time to worry is when you get a warning of magnetic interference when in normal operation flying mode. My advice to all is to stop worrying and disregard this post and start enjoying !!!!
2017-3-16
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 231217 ft
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-3-16 02:27
That's the advantage of having two compasses: if one has a significant deviation for whatever reason the firmware will detect it and prompt you to perform a compass calibration.

DroneFlying

You are so correct ---- even more reason to not worry .
2017-3-16
Use props
method007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't understand how they are "magnetizing" anything.  I think you meant to say they cause interference, right?  The title is somewhat misleading considering they aren't actually magnetizing anything.
2017-3-16
Use props
MikeQView
lvl.4
United Kingdom

travelrikk Posted at 2017-3-16 01:09

Me Too,  the second benifit of leaving the mavic unfolded, is there is  no wear on the cables that exit the arms,  the folding action does put undue stress on the motor wires and will fail over time if continually folding and unfolding, i have seen one that has failled due to this issue. and have taken the action to not fold the mavic unless it just has to go in the little "flymore bag" for holidays or such,  otherwise it stays unfolded in the slightly bigger bag.
2017-3-16
Use props
MikeQView
lvl.4
United Kingdom

surely though if a magnet is left along side any metal that is magnetic, over time will become magnetized??  or is there no metal at all in the unit?? i do get the bit though that if the compass is regularly calibrated , i guess as its gauss or what ever the value is for magnetism increases you are also calibrating that increase so providing a new zero point ??  does that sound right
2017-3-16
Use props
rydfree41
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153268 ft
United States

MikeQView Posted at 2017-3-16 06:53
Me Too,  the second benifit of leaving the mavic unfolded, is there is  no wear on the cables that exit the arms,  the folding action does put undue stress on the motor wires and will fail over time if continually folding and unfolding, i have seen one that has failled due to this issue. and have taken the action to not fold the mavic unless it just has to go in the little "flymore bag" for holidays or such,  otherwise it stays unfolded in the slightly bigger bag.

I would not actually fly the Mavic using your logic because the motors , props etc will surely wear more quickly if you do . Also do not fold the controllers antennas or phone arms for storage or they will surely break at some point .  I'm not sure I should open and close my car doors now because there are wires running through the jamb.........but how can I get inside ???  Oh crap now I'm worried ,lol
2017-3-16
Use props
rydfree41
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153268 ft
United States

MikeQView Posted at 2017-3-16 06:58
surely though if a magnet is left along side any metal that is magnetic, over time will become magnetized??  or is there no metal at all in the unit?? i do get the bit though that if the compass is regularly calibrated , i guess as its gauss or what ever the value is for magnetism increases you are also calibrating that increase so providing a new zero point ??  does that sound right

The magnets of the motors would have to be almost physically touching the compass to have a long term effect . I would not sit my Mavic directly on top of my 12" car subwoofer speaker magnet but I would not worry about it sitting near it in the trunk of the car since the subwoofer is in its own box that keeps it an acceptable distance away .
2017-3-16
Use props
Eyesaround
lvl.1
Flight distance : 271010 ft
Chile

The image points to "electromagbetic interference" keep in mind the antennas end right next to the compass when folded, but it only affects when powered on and transmitting. One way to discard if the problem is antennas or motors would be to check compass status with a second Mavic plwered off and placing the motors next to the compass. Anyone in conditions to try this?
2017-3-16
Use props
travelrikk
First Officer
  • >>>
Malta

MikeQView Posted at 2017-3-16 06:58

My thought exactly. That's why I bought that bag, couldn't find much more that will hold the mavic unfolded.
2017-3-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules