Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Poor range
1367 9 2017-3-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sunfield
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2406325 ft
Netherlands

Hi,
Recently bought a P4P and was flying about 150/200 when it said: Remote controller signal weak, it disconnected and it flew home. Now some people told me i had to put the antennas a bit more up to the sky. That helped a bit more, but after about 500 meters it did it again. Before I want to try a few kilometers (;-)), I was wondering if you guys had some tips for me to decrease the chance of coming back tot home after a few hundred meters. Thanks in advance.

PS. What a great aircraft the P4P is!
2017-3-16
Use props
piowoc73
lvl.3
United States

What frequency have you used, 2.4, or 5.8GHz? Any large metal structures, transmission towers, etc. near your home point? You can search for other threads about P4P range and you will find some videos there what other people did to fix it, but the consensus was that 2.4Ghz will give you a better range, especially if you can't keep LOS all the time, but it's more prone to interference, especially in urban environment. 5.8GHz doesn't penetrate objects, so it's great if you can keep LOS all the time and you fly relatively high. For 2.4Ghz the antennas should be at 60 degrees and slightly diverging. Hope this will help.
2017-3-16
Use props
SPIKE_151
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69767 ft
United States

Can you give us a bit more information about what the environment you are flying in is? and any warning notices you get before the RC looses connection with the drone?
2017-3-16
Use props
JoZee
lvl.1
Israel

Did you try to set manual channel?
2017-3-16
Use props
theGrindLab.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is for anyone replying to this thread. I never understand why anyone gets such low ranges. I know it happens, but I always wonder why. I've owned 4 DJI quads and got great ranges with them all, no matter where I flew them or at what frequency. Commenters always mention transmission frequency, signal congestion, structural interference, etc., but is it really that common that these factors can limit range that much?
2017-3-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Interference is usually the cause where are you flying, what position are you setting your antennas etc what heights are you flying.
2017-3-16
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

piowoc73 Posted at 2017-3-16 06:10
What frequency have you used, 2.4, or 5.8GHz? Any large metal structures, transmission towers, etc. near your home point? You can search for other threads about P4P range and you will find some videos there what other people did to fix it, but the consensus was that 2.4Ghz will give you a better range, especially if you can't keep LOS all the time, but it's more prone to interference, especially in urban environment. 5.8GHz doesn't penetrate objects, so it's great if you can keep LOS all the time and you fly relatively high. For 2.4Ghz the antennas should be at 60 degrees and slightly diverging. Hope this will help.

I've had the opposite experience with mine, I had trouble in my area (suburb) with 2.4, but when I switched to 5.8Ghz I had a LOT more range.. Further than I had with 2.4 LOS.. I haven't gotten to test it out in the great wide open but I do think in less crowded radio areas the 2.4 will kick butt.. As for the short range people experience, I sometimes wonder if the devices they are using have their wifi turned on and is searching and pinging other routers in both frequencies since they are the same as wifi *http://www.radio-electronics.com ... ncies-bandwidth.php

So let's say your phone has it's wifi turned on and has a strong wifi transmitter - isn't it theoretically possible for it to cause interference a) trying to connect or ping a router, or b) actually have an active connection with a router??
2017-3-16
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

See if this video helps any. Also try in a wide open area and if you still get short range then you may want to contact support.
If you are flying over a neighborhood then your range will be effected by all the interference.

2017-3-16
Use props
Bone Saw
New

United States

I'm pretty frustrated. I had the P4 and sold it to get the P4Pro which advertised better range. Max range I can get is 10500ft. flying at 400' ATL over the open ocean clear line of site the whole time. I switched to 2.4ghz and that is what gave me the better range. I have also tried messing with the antennae as advertised in the above video. I was able to fly my P4 regularly at 15-18,000ft seems like after the firmware update recently it has negatively impacted the range?

Anyone else with this issue?
2017-3-19
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Bone Saw Posted at 2017-3-19 20:33
I'm pretty frustrated. I had the P4 and sold it to get the P4Pro which advertised better range. Max range I can get is 10500ft. flying at 400' ATL over the open ocean clear line of site the whole time. I switched to 2.4ghz and that is what gave me the better range. I have also tried messing with the antennae as advertised in the above video. I was able to fly my P4 regularly at 15-18,000ft seems like after the firmware update recently it has negatively impacted the range?

Anyone else with this issue?

Yes, 2.4Ghz is the frequency with best range, but not good around built-up areas with lots of interference.
Otherwise, you say that you've updated to the latest firmware on your P4P. Is it safe to assume that you updated the RC firmware also (it's separate)?
2017-3-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules