Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Callatis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 511112 ft
Canada

Cabansail Posted at 2017-3-16 19:49
Apparently so

"closer than nine km from the centre of an aerodrome (any airport, heliport, seaplane base or anywhere that aircraft take-off and land)"

Thanks Cabansail! When you start adding the small airports and the helipads ... you are so limited now. I just got my first drone 5 days ago and I didn't even practice the Academy or calibrating the compass as the RC had to be shipped back to DJI for replacement. $1600 spent for pleasure but the pleasure is limited.
2017-3-17
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 136686 ft

Australia

solentlife Posted at 2017-3-17 04:26
But that doesn't help anyone.

There's always a misconception of rules and regulations by most people. Technically Rules and Regs are there to put a limit on activity. To state what is legal and what is not.

That is a really poor argument.

Who says they are flying safely? Is it self evaluation?

Thousands of people drive while using their mobile phones. They perceive they are doing it safely but the accidents which occur show that to be false. I was almost killed by a woman who crossed the centre line and would have hit me head on except I took evasive action and hit the dirt. She was on her phone texting  (or on FacePalm or something) she never even saw my Landrover Defender. She barely missed hitting a bridge. She probably thinks she was safe as she got away with it.
2017-3-17
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Cabansail Posted at 2017-3-17 05:27
That is a really poor argument.

Who says they are flying safely? Is it self evaluation?

Please don't take me out of context or extrapolate my PoV to unreasonable level.

My point is that Rules and Regs are there for Enforcement action to be taken when necessary.

There are millions of examples of people crossing the legal line safely and allowed to carry on by Enforcement when seen to be acting sensibly. We are not talking the idiot women texting on her phone ... that's who the rules about phone use are about when driving a car ... seen the latest in UK ? Its a Court case if caught ... no warnings anymore.

Nigel
2017-3-17
Use props
#shotxclvck
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3423297 ft
United States

Cessna172 Posted at 2017-3-16 13:00
If the same hysteria was applied to teenage drivers.....there would not be a driver under 25 on Earth.

How many people have been killed by hobby drones?

great point that is pretty odd!
2017-3-17
Use props
Callatis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 511112 ft
Canada

Check how relaxed is the legislation in Australia
2017-3-17
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

Why only teenage drivers ? Ever watched an old guy with a hat driving ... especially when his 'wife' insists on sitting in the BACK seat of the car !!

White van drivers who think they are driving an 18 wheeler ?
Boy nearly forgot !! BMW drivers !! who think they have a race car !!

Nigel
2017-3-17
Use props
Taydav
lvl.4
Flight distance : 115328 ft
Canada

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-3-16 18:43
I think you fellas have Canada mixed up with Heaven. Where everybody has wings.  All flyers, all the time.

What club do you fly out of?
2017-3-17
Use props
Taydav
lvl.4
Flight distance : 115328 ft
Canada

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-3-16 22:11
I fly mostly at a private RC Heli park. Or in an abandoned airplane hangar.
Both sanctioned by www.maac.ca & those rules don't apply to us.

Even though I live on a lake with plenty of room to fly safely, I don't think the new regs will allow me to take off or land on my own property since I'm within 75 meters everywhere of a neighbour.
2017-3-17
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4

Australia

solentlife Posted at 2017-3-17 06:49
Please don't take me out of context or extrapolate my PoV to unreasonable level.

My point is that Rules and Regs are there for Enforcement action to be taken when necessary.

I am not taking it out of context.

While that woman was the target of the laws she was breaking her perception was she was doing so with safety. That can also be the case where we fly and break the rules too.

I doubt anyone goes out to be a danger to others but there are plenty of examples where you can see that one failure could lead to an incident. Our quadcopters do not have redundant systems.
2017-3-17
Use props
LiViA
New
Flight distance : 45876 ft
United States

That's what happens when you give away your guns.  Then they take something else.
2017-3-17
Use props
timnwcove
lvl.3
Flight distance : 87428 ft
Canada

LiViA Posted at 2017-3-17 14:12
That's what happens when you give away your guns.  Then they take something else.

dont think its about giving something up and having more taken away......seems to be more of an uninformed decision that targets all for the actions of a few and/or public misconceptions about the camera and its limitations.  
2017-3-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

timnwcove Posted at 2017-3-17 02:21
how can you now fly miles away when you have to be within 500m of your drone ?

I'm staying in VLOS with my drones. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-3-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Taydav Posted at 2017-3-17 12:48
What club do you fly out of?

Ours is www.ercha.ca & you'll need your www.maac.ca membership.

RedHotPoker
2017-3-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Taydav Posted at 2017-3-17 13:22
Even though I live on a lake with plenty of room to fly safely, I don't think the new regs will allow me to take off or land on my own property since I'm within 75 meters everywhere of a neighbour.

Why can't you talk to your neighbours and request permission to fly your hobby drone, in the area?

RedHotPoker
2017-3-17
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

Good thing I fly within the laws of my country.  We have guests in our guest house today and the husband was talking to my wife about my drone.
He said to his wife better do all the filming you can now before the laws get changed like in Canada.  What is good is that Dronesmeg took some of the photos he took to get printed.
The owner of the shop says wow you guys must have climbed pretty high to get those shots as lots of people take photo's in our area.
Dronesmpeg said yeah our drones flew pretty high as there is no mountain to climb any higher on.

Sometimes I cannot see my drone but I sure can hear it.
2017-3-17
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

Taydav Posted at 2017-3-17 13:22

Invite the neighbors for BBQ ... just happen to have the Phantom there ... they will ask about it .... you can demo it and that's it ... casually ask if its OK to fly that area ... that you'll be aware of privacy etc.

Nigel
2017-3-17
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

Cabansail Posted at 2017-3-17 13:55
I am not taking it out of context.

While that woman was the target of the laws she was breaking her perception was she was doing so with safety. That can also be the case where we fly and break the rules too.

Sorry but you are ... you are extrapolaring my comment to suit your adverse opinion. I am sure you understood my original point as not being the extreme.
Example - are you saying that you never 'cross' the legality line safely ? If so - then you must be only person in the world then.

Nigel
2017-3-17
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4

Australia

solentlife Posted at 2017-3-17 22:44
Sorry but you are ... you are extrapolaring my comment to suit your adverse opinion. I am sure you understood my original point as not being the extreme.
Example - are you saying that you never 'cross' the legality line safely ? If so - then you must be only person in the world then.

Nigel, I do understand your point but I think you fail to see mine.

I am not perfect and, like everyone else, will stray occasionally.

What I am trying to say is that when one does cross that line the perception of safety can be misleading. This happens more with inexperience. The example I gave above is to show how wrong that perception can be. The fact that the other driver was unaware that we almost had a head on collision or that I was even on the road shows that her perception of the risk and the reality were worlds apart. That is similar to someone who flies a few km out and then hovers over people when they have no VLOS is similar. Just because they have not had a failure or an accident means they think they are safely breaching the laws when in reality one mishap could end in disaster.
2017-3-17
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

Hi Cabansail ... I do understand your point .... its just that you countered mine with it. When I was not implying unsafe practice.

Of course self determination of safe is flawed - but to use that woman and her incident was a bit OTT ...

Lets leave it alone - I think we both understand what was meant and no need to argue.

Mines a Guinness !! (Please don't ask Mr Ryan US Republican to pour it though !! )

Nigel
2017-3-18
Use props
UKIEMAN
lvl.2
Flight distance : 21552 ft
Canada

https://www.change.org/p/marc-ga ... utm_medium=copylink   
2017-3-18
Use props
JW5255
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5291158 ft
  • >>>
Canada

After a review of:

http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec- ... chtype%3d1&lang=eng

Many the the incidents in Canada are not within the capabilities of the recreational drones that I am familiar with, especially the P4.  Specifically: reported altitudes, size, etc.
2017-3-18
Use props
Draiter
lvl.2
Flight distance : 39852 ft

Canada

JW5255 Posted at 2017-3-18 12:08
After a review of:

http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec- ... chtype%3d1&lang=eng

You are 100% correct. The idiots at transport Canada, ave the idiot media just use the term drone to mislead the public and everyone
2017-3-18
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4

Australia

solentlife Posted at 2017-3-18 03:10
Hi Cabansail ... I do understand your point .... its just that you countered mine with it. When I was not implying unsafe practice.

Of course self determination of safe is flawed - but to use that woman and her incident was a bit OTT ...

I think we are saying the same thing we are doing so in different ways.

The problem lies not in the extreme but the grey areas.

It has been ages since I had a Guinness, They have stuff here that is the same colour but it's not the real stuff. Need to be in Ireland again to get a proper pint.
2017-3-18
Use props
Hodge
lvl.2
Flight distance : 23865 ft
Canada

I heard about this on the radio the other day and finally got a chance to research it today. I live just outside the Toronto area. I have worked in Toronto for many years so I know the area well. I am sure there isn't too many happy people right now. Being 75 meters from buildings, people, cars and pets is completely IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!  It is going to be hard enough for myself to find somewhere to fly and stay legal. Heck, 1 minute from my house and you start getting into the country so now I have to fly on someone's private land???? Can't fly in any park, can't truss pass on someone's field. I am so glad I didn't spend thousands on my drone (got the P3S) and didn't spend on the antenna upgrade kit to get more range (Been researching it). Also researching letchi to get more range and features, saved $30 bucks there too.

I did order a back pack for my drone on ebay as my family thought it would be a good idea to take it on bike rides and fly in various locations, can't do that, other people might be close by. Oh by the way, I have to be 75 meters from people, does that include or exclude me? My family? Or just other people I don't know?

I guess the sayings Canadians living under too many laws are true.

Love to hear more from local people and your thoughts.

Good thing it is hard to measure from someone's house to my drone because it will never stand up in court without proof!
2017-3-18
Use props
Helms Alee
lvl.2
Flight distance : 127802 ft
Canada

https://www.change.org/p/marc-ga ... utm_medium=copylink
2017-3-18
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4

Australia

Hodge Posted at 2017-3-18 16:03
I heard about this on the radio the other day and finally got a chance to research it today. I live just outside the Toronto area. I have worked in Toronto for many years so I know the area well. I am sure there isn't too many happy people right now. Being 75 meters from buildings, people, cars and pets is completely IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!  It is going to be hard enough for myself to find somewhere to fly and stay legal. Heck, 1 minute from my house and you start getting into the country so now I have to fly on someone's private land???? Can't fly in any park, can't truss pass on someone's field. I am so glad I didn't spend thousands on my drone (got the P3S) and didn't spend on the antenna upgrade kit to get more range (Been researching it). Also researching letchi to get more range and features, saved $30 bucks there too.

I did order a back pack for my drone on ebay as my family thought it would be a good idea to take it on bike rides and fly in various locations, can't do that, other people might be close by. Oh by the way, I have to be 75 meters from people, does that include or exclude me? My family? Or just other people I don't know?

Finding private property will not help if it is within 9km of a place where aircraft can land or take off.
2017-3-18
Use props
Michgolden
lvl.4
Flight distance : 822851 ft
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-3-16 18:43
I think you fellas have Canada mixed up with Heaven. Where everybody has wings.  All flyers, all the time.

Ha ha !  I've been to Canada several times, to me It's next door. It is close to heaven, but not quite;)
2017-3-18
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4

Australia

2017-3-18
Use props
Hodge
lvl.2
Canada

Cabansail Posted at 2017-3-18 17:29
https://youtu.be/gmBKaJXI9l0

Awesome video. Thanks for posting. He makes some good points. No flying over mice. We need to make sure their safe.
2017-3-19
Use props
MaYhEm sMiLeY
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9671732 ft
Canada

Managed to fly legally yesterday after a serious trek through the snow.
This will get me into better shape.
2017-3-19
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Michgolden Posted at 2017-3-18 17:17
Ha ha !  I've been to Canada several times, to me It's next door. It is close to heaven, but not quite;)

You didn't come through Alberta, or you'd know you were already home. Haha

Yup, Heaven on Earth.

RedHotPoker
2017-3-20
Use props
Salmonslayer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 100220 ft
Canada

Living in Western Canada, I witness every day people disobeying the law, to the point of running red lights and am RCMP officer sitting at the same red light doing nothing. A couple of years ago I was assaulted and placed in the hospital, it was one block from the police station. I was told by the Vancouver Police Department, you weren't shot, stabbed and you not in a gang so priority to your case is very low... So you really think they are going to be out chasing drones Hahaha  Stay away from the major airports and fly safely... You'll be ok.
2017-3-21
Use props
Helms Alee
lvl.2
Flight distance : 127802 ft
Canada

So DJI is going to vouch for us? The new laws will certainly affect their sales in Canada. Sign up at http://www.nodecampaign.org
Also, ironically, this showed up the same day in my Facebook feed. A government promotional video full of "illegal" drone footage.

2017-3-21
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
First Officer
Flight distance : 8351585 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Helms Alee Posted at 2017-3-21 11:01
So DJI is going to vouch for us? The new laws will certainly affect their sales in Canada. Sign up at http://www.nodecampaign.org
Also, ironically, this showed up the same day in my Facebook feed. A government promotional video full of "illegal" drone footage.

Those aren't drone shots, they're from a REAL heli ;-)
2017-3-21
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4

Australia

I doubt those are illegal shots. If they were from a drone they would have used a commercial operator and not a recreational pilot. Even so they would have been taken before the new laws were in force.
2017-3-21
Use props
Hodge
lvl.2
Canada

I might be quiet on the forum but I have been making a few calls to see what we can do as Canadian Citizens. Right now, I can't fly anywhere in my home town just due to the 9km airport and heli pad zone.

I was told by my MP that we will be able to comment on the new rules some time in May. Guess I have a paper weight till then.

As taken from https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilav ... ly.html#regulations

We published a Notice of Proposed Amendment in May 2015 to highlight these changes. Canadians will be able to comment on the proposed amendments when they are published in Canada Gazette, Part 1.

Canadian Gazette : http://canadagazette.gc.ca/gazette/home-accueil-eng.php

Also see (Notice of Proposed Amendment - Unmanned Air Vehicles) At http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec- ... Type=1&lang=eng

We need as many voices as possible. Please pass this along to your friends and POST in other forums.

Thanks
2017-3-22
Use props
Hodge
lvl.2
Canada

Here is video from Chex television promoting the new rules and how much fun drones can be. I mapped the distance from the airport and heli pad at the hospital, they were illegal.

Should they be fined? The law has video proof?

http://www.chextv.com/2017/03/22 ... eational-drone-use/
2017-3-22
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4

Australia

Hodge Posted at 2017-3-22 14:35
Here is video from Chex television promoting the new rules and how much fun drones can be. I mapped the distance from the airport and heli pad at the hospital, they were illegal.

He does say he has a commercial licence so that would be different to the recreational laws.

Then he says that tens of thousands are bought for Christmas and half of them end up un A&E on Boxing Day which could be slightly untrue.
2017-3-22
Use props
JW5255
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5291158 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Hodge Posted at 2017-3-22 14:35

Hey, he got in a good ad for his company.  After reviewing most of the media coverage on this topic, it seems there a many professional companies willing to step in front of the camera with their company logo.  As far as spokespersons from airports are concerned, who all seem to "Welcome the new laws", what else would would they say ? especially when they know very little or nothing about drone usage in Canada.  Very poor media coverage.   As far as the tens of thousands who got their drones at Christmas and were at the hospital emergency on boxing day, 'as mentioned by the "certified UAV pilot",' all I have to say is his gross exaggeration negates his opinion(s).
2017-3-23
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4

Australia

JW5255 Posted at 2017-3-23 13:43
Hey, he got in a good ad for his company.  After reviewing most of the media coverage on this topic, it seems there a many professional companies willing to step in front of the camera with their company logo.  As far as spokespersons from airports are concerned, who all seem to "Welcome the new laws", what else would would they say ? especially when they know very little or nothing about drone usage in Canada.  Very poor media coverage.   As far as the tens of thousands who got their drones at Christmas and were at the hospital emergency on boxing day, 'as mentioned by the "certified UAV pilot",' all I have to say is his gross exaggeration negates his opinion(s).

He sure loses a lot of credibility when he exaggerates the amount of accidents.

If he were to be taken seriously then at least 10,000 accidents would have had serious enough injuries that they need attention in A&E. That number would have swamped the system and there would be a media frenzy.  That level of danger would prompt an immediate ban on the products due to safety. It would not be limited to Canada either as stupid is a equal opportunity employer. In reality how many UAV accidents actually occur? I am sure there have been some but they are rare.
2017-3-23
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules