Tips for a newbie
1822 25 2017-3-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
NewToDroning
lvl.2
United States

Hi folks,
         I am finally getting my hands on a Mavic today (Ordered on the 12th, getting delivered today). I have few questions and requests to make, esp to the experienced folks here.

1. What tips/ suggestions would you give to a complete newbie while unpacking/verifying Mavic? (Anything that you could have done differently when you got yours)
2. Are there any checklist items that I should look for in order to make sure my Mavic is free of any Out Of The Box (Quality Control) issues? This is my very first Drone.. not sure what all to look for.
3. Any must have accessories? (Filters, Bagpacks and such). 4. DJI Go App, is it better over Android or iOS?

Appreciate all your help. Glad to join the family.

PS: Anyone in Chicago land area? If yes, did you find a State Farm agent who could insure this thing?

Thanks

2017-3-16
Use props
Highasakite
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1423930 ft
United States

NewToDroning, #1 go here and register with the FAA. https://registermyuas.faa.gov/  #2 Read and understand ALL of the instructions!!! Read the forum! Read the instructions again! Start slowly.  Have fun! Welcome and good luck! Safety First! Ken
2017-3-16
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Congratulations of you Mavic, for a newbie to get a $1,000 aircraft  is a pretty big step.
Take baby steps and no need to impress your friends.
Only fly in a LARGE outdoor area with nothing around and fly higher then the tallest building, pole or tree.
Make sure to set your RTH altitude higher than any buildings around.
Study and 100% understand the ENTIRE manual. Also watch all the tutorial videos in the app.
If you want to mess around and hone your pilot skills I'd get a $50 Syma to practice with.
Subscribe to the DJI Support YouTube channel as there's plenty of great videos there.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0sMNc2SGnM-wD3ZGYj3MAQ
2017-3-16
Use props
NewToDroning
lvl.2
United States

@Highasakite, going to follow your instructions to the T. Thanks

@Ken, got Syma and I'll study the whole manual. For the app, do you prefer iOS or Android?
2017-3-16
Use props
ProQuad
lvl.4
Flight distance : 20296870 ft
  • >>>
United States

NewToDroning,

~Welcome to DJI and the awesome-ness of the Mavic Pro!
~Yes, what both Highasakite and DJI-Ken said and then READ YOUR MANUAL again.  I have been flying around for a few years and I still go back to my manual.
~Register with the FAA 1st...do this before your first take off
~I would highly suggest that you purchase the DJI Care Refresh BEFORE YOU TURN IT ON and "register it" on the app.  This is an insurance just in case you crash or have any issues outside of the normal warranty.  They will replace it (up to 2 times I think for a small cost) if you are 100% at fault for the crash.
~Read your manual AGAIN and fully understand it.  This is a great spot to get advise.
~Enjoy your Mavic and start out with baby steps
~For me personally...iOS seems to work better the Android.
~Read your manual
2017-3-16
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

NewToDroning Posted at 2017-3-16 13:23
@Highasakite, going to follow your instructions to the T. Thanks  

@Ken, got Syma and I'll study the whole manual. For the app, do you prefer iOS or Android?

Honestly I think it works smoother on IOS. I used to use my Android phone (Samsung S6) and went to IOS (iPhone 7 Plus) and it just seems smoother on IOS.
I have a NVIDIA Shield K1 and it works fine, but I have a iPad Air2 and Mini3 and like those better.
2017-3-16
Use props
High FlyerCokie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 701109 ft
New Zealand

get a iPad mini 4 for better vision............I struggled with my ph for 3 or 4  flights and was nervous as, but with the iPad mini my confidence even got better. But still nervous to let it out of my sight  
2017-3-16
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

A couple of things you asked about that I didn't notice having been addressed:

Here is a spreadsheet being maintained that shows who you can contact about a personal articles policy for your drone, including some agents in Illinois.

For accessories, I'll second High FlyerCokie's comment about getting a tablet, and people seem to have fewer problems with iOS (iPad) ones. I'd also recommend extra batteries (unless you already got the Fly More Combo) and a landing pad.
2017-3-16
Use props
QuanthonyTrang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Read Manual
Update firmware
Don't fly indoors. Just be patient and wait for a clear day.
Familiarise yourself with the GO4 app and go through the settings.
Find an open grassy field and do compass calibration.

Remove gimbal dome.
Remove gimbal lock (look after this. DJI does NOT sell this part).
Reinstall gimbal dome and fly with dome on a for the FIRST FEW flights.

Reason: The mavic is durable and can withstand a few bumps. The camera+gimbal however is not. The camera and gimbal is very delicate and the most expensive part on the Mavic and the most likely part to get damaged in a crash.

Side affects flying with dome: Sun glare and the mavic runs a little hotter.
2017-3-16
Use props
yannmtl
lvl.1
Flight distance : 109760 ft
United Kingdom

Received my Mavic today also ... Was unfortunately not able to get it out for a first flight, but firmware updated and manual read through ... If weather permit I will take my first flight Saturday ... can not wait!!
2017-3-16
Use props
NewToDroning
lvl.2
United States

yannmtl Posted at 2017-3-16 15:14
Received my Mavic today also ... Was unfortunately not able to get it out for a first flight, but firmware updated and manual read through ... If weather permit I will take my first flight Saturday ... can not wait!!

Folks, thanks for taking time to reply. I have noted down each and every point :-)
Did you guys buy a bag to carry this? Any suggestions on this..
2017-3-16
Use props
DrEMHmrk2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 291575 ft
United States

My tip would be to find a nice field to practice in, driveways are a disaster waiting to happen. Also if you and a friend both get them, choose a height you will each stay at to avoid a collision. Leave the hard lessons to those of us who have gone before
2017-3-16
Use props
yannmtl
lvl.1
Flight distance : 109760 ft
United Kingdom

NewToDroning Posted at 2017-3-16 16:06
Folks, thanks for taking time to reply. I have noted down each and every point :-)

I've bought this on amazon, super practical to wrap the drone in. The medium size is what you need I believe ..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tenba-2 ... nba%2Bwrap&th=1
2017-3-17
Use props
fansaa3da6c4
lvl.3
Flight distance : 347507 ft
United States

Recommend 3rd Landing Gear here's a link
Amazon link to 3rd Party Landing Gear

Or at least make a landing surface out of cardboard to land on to keep debris from the gimbal.
2017-3-17
Use props
NewToDroning
lvl.2
United States

fansaa3da6c4 Posted at 2017-3-17 11:34
Recommend 3rd Landing Gear here's a link
Amazon link to 3rd Party Landing Gear

Thanks folks. This is what I did so far:
1. Registered with FAA.
2. Bought DJI Care Refresh
3. Bought State Farm Insurance for 60$, no deductible.

I am now looking into an iPad mini 4... a nice backpack. Question, do we really need the landing props?
Another question, do you folks put on the gimbal clamp every single time?
2017-3-17
Use props
ProQuad
lvl.4
Flight distance : 20296870 ft
  • >>>
United States

NewToDroning Posted at 2017-3-17 13:20
Thanks folks. This is what I did so far:
1. Registered with FAA.
2. Bought DJI Care Refresh

Good job.  I have the mini 4 and I love it.  I have mine in a GPC case that the foam inside was cut for it.  It's small enough, light weight, etc.  If you have a backpack, that may work for you.
As far as the landing props??? I don't think they are necessary but you can be the judge of that after you get your feet wet.
I DO put the gimbal clamp on after I'm done flying around.  That gimbal so so delicate and small that any protection is a good idea.  Just take you time with it and don't force anything.

Come in here and learm from others mistakes.  I had one today.  You can read it here:
http://forum.dji.com/thread-89136-1-1.html
2017-3-17
Use props
NewToDroning
lvl.2
United States

ProQuad Posted at 2017-3-17 13:29
Good job.  I have the mini 4 and I love it.  I have mine in a GPC case that the foam inside was cut for it.  It's small enough, light weight, etc.  If you have a backpack, that may work for you.
As far as the landing props??? I don't think they are necessary but you can be the judge of that after you get your feet wet.
I DO put the gimbal clamp on after I'm done flying around.  That gimbal so so delicate and small that any protection is a good idea.  Just take you time with it and don't force anything.

ProQuad,
    I did read your post. Sorry for the trouble.. you live and learn. Your post made me double check my props :-)
2017-3-17
Use props
Nikon 1
lvl.4
United States

Replace the DJI supplied USB To Lightning cable with a good quality cable for connection between your Remote Controller and your iPhone.  Too many dropped communication problems with the flat cable supplied.

As everyone else has posted, read the manual and take your time.  I started out in Beginner Mode for the first few Flight.

Enjoy yourself but fly safely.
2017-3-17
Use props
NewToDroning
lvl.2
United States

Nikon 1 Posted at 2017-3-17 14:59
Replace the DJI supplied USB To Lightning cable with a good quality cable for connection between your Remote Controller and your iPhone.  Too many dropped communication problems with the flat cable supplied.

As everyone else has posted, read the manual and take your time.  I started out in Beginner Mode for the first few Flight.

Thanks Nikon,

Just turned it on for the second time now. I am hearing a weird ticking sound as soon as it turns on. This sound stays on as long as Mavic is running. Anyone else heard it?

Sound clip: https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... ms/view?usp=sharing
2017-3-17
Use props
Nikon 1
lvl.4
United States

Make sure whenever you Power on the Mavic, you have both the Gimbal Clamp and Camera Protector removed as there is a fan behind the Gimbal that draws air to cool the electronics.  With the Camera Protector on, the fan is not getting Air to cool the electronics.

If it's a soft clicking, it's probably the sensors that determine how close the Mavic is to the ground.  I have not listened to your sound file as I do not have my AirPods handy.
2017-3-17
Use props
NewToDroning
lvl.2
United States

Nikon 1 Posted at 2017-3-17 15:13
Make sure whenever you Power on the Mavic, you have both the Gimbal Clamp and Camera Protector removed as there is a fan behind the Gimbal that draws air to cool the electronics.  With the Camera Protector on, the fan is not getting Air to cool the electronics.

If it's a soft clicking, it's probably the sensors that determine how close the Mavic is to the ground.  I have not listened to your sound file as I do not have my AirPods handy.

I hope it's from the sensors you are talking about. Please let me know once you get a chance to listen.
2017-3-17
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

NewToDroning Posted at 2017-3-16 16:06

Did you guys buy a bag to carry this?

I got the Fly More Combo so I have the bag that comes with it, but I have more accessories than will fit so I bought an inexpensive camera backpack from Amazon. It's (obviously) not as compact but offers more room and about the same level of damage protection as the Fly More bag.
2017-3-17
Use props
NewToDroning
lvl.2
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-3-17 15:26
Did you guys buy a bag to carry this?

I got the Fly More Combo so I have the bag that comes with it, but I have more accessories than will fit so I bought an inexpensive camera backpack from Amazon. It's (obviously) not as compact but offers more room and about the same level of damage protection as the Fly More bag.

I am thinking of this one:
2017-3-17
Use props
Nikon 1
lvl.4
United States

This is the case I bought from Amazon when I bought my Fly More package.  I really like it because everything fits like a glove, the case is so well sealed that getting caught in the elements is not scary and the lid has a solid detente that locks when you open it.

https://www.amazon.com/Professio ... DTZDT7G1M9TZ43KM4C0
2017-3-17
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

I am thinking of this one

That's similar to what I got and should work fine for you. In my opinion a hard case like the one Nikon posted works better for commercial (e.g. airline) travel because it should offer better impact protection, but a backpack is obviously much more portable and works much better for carrying with you when, say, you're hiking or biking.
2017-3-17
Use props
Lemonsorbie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3809 ft
Canada

Highasakite Posted at 2017-3-16 11:26
NewToDroning, #1 go here and register with the FAA. https://registermyuas.faa.gov/  #2 Read and understand ALL of the instructions!!!  Read the forum!  Read the instructions again! Start slowly.  Have fun! Welcome and good luck!  Safety First! Ken

+1. Well said
2017-3-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules